SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Sage User

Can the beta 2.1 be used by Trial User?

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a copy of SageTV and wanted to trial with the latest beta rather than the soon to be outdated version. When I install the beta it asks me for a licence key and will not let me through. When I install 2.0 it does let me start a trial period. Is there any way for me to go 2.1 and trial there? Could I install 2.1 beta over the 2.0 trial I have on my computer?

Thanks for any guidance you may have for me.
Cheers
Old 10-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Administrator

The Beta download page states:
Quote:
All current registered users of SageTV software are entitled to test our latest beta versions.
Usually, the new vesions only have the trial enabled after the beta is over and a final version is released.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your response. It would really be neat if I could evaluate using the new features. I do have version 2 running on my PC now. If I was to run the beta 2.1 installer would this do an upgrade for me while retaining my trial ability? If not is there any way around it? Thanks
Old 10-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Administrator

I haven't tried it since I have a registered version, but I would imagine that the 2.1 install would immediately ask for a license key when you run it.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Sage User

You are right. I tried this and found that it does not work. I reverted back to 2.0 and will test with it. Lets hope 2.1 is released before my 2.0 trial period is over... Thanks for your help.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Asside from the option to run the Sage service, 2.1 is not much different from 2.0. 2.0 should easily allow you to decide if Sage will work for you or not.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Sage User

Quite true... Nevertheless, in looking at the list below, the multi-tuner support is the item I am most interested in testing before committing...

Enhanced Video Library - Folder based with support for thumbnail images
Browse by Category - View upcoming airings by Category
Keyword Favorites - Record shows based on Keywords in addition to Title, Actor and Category
Enhancements to Intelligent Recording - Improved file management
Plugin support for On-Screen Display, Inputs and MediaPlayer (Developer information available)
SageTV now runs as a Windows Service
Rearchitected capture & playback systems
Support for multiple IR transmitters
Power Management support - Standby/hibernate modes supported with automatic wakeup for recordings
Expanded Remote Control Support - AverMedia 500/550 Remote and MCE Remotes
Import feature for STV Modules
Numerous Bug Fixes and Performance Enhancements
Old 10-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kirk
in looking at the list below, the multi-tuner support is the item I am most interested in testing before committing.
??? Could you clarify that? I don't see anything in that list that mentions multiple tuners. SageTV has supported multiple tuners for a _long_ time, way before version 2.0 was released.

Are you referring to the "Support for multiple IR transmitters"? That is just so you can use multiple Actisys IR-200L IR transmitters to control external converter boxes -- the new part of that is that SageTV by itself can control multiple transmitters on 1 PC connected to multiple COM ports. I think that previously you had to run instances of SageTVRecorder to use multiple IR-200L devices.

Alternatively, the latest USB-UIRTs have 3 zone support, so one device can control 3 boxes. You can do this in 2.0 already too.

There are some nice changes for 2.1, covered in chapter 8 of the 2.1 manual, but support for multiple tuners isn't one of the new things.

- Andy