SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-04-2003, 11:49 AM

Hauppauge 250 Glitch Issues

Having used the cards for a few weeks now and sage for about a month I though I would post an update to my 250 glitch issues. To recap my glitch issues involved skipping frames and the ghosting video issue. The skiping frames also create a break in the audio which is understandalbe if you jump ahead a few frames of video and audio. I have tried all driver versions that are out there (beta ones too) and I have tried different sound cards and just moving the cards to different PCI slots but the issue still remains. My video drive is not fragmented and it is formatted with 64k clusters. On forums I notice that most people are attributing the issue to a bug in the Hauppauge drivers.

Well, after using the system heavily for a few weeks I have noticed something. I seem to only get these issues with a live TV program - or in other words any file that I am watching where Sage is still writing to the same file file. If I watch a recorded show I don't get these issues. Even if it is a show that was recorded while I watched another one.

I have never used any application with the 250 other than Sage (I don't even have the Hauppauge applications installed) so I don't know if I could reproduce this behavior elsewhere. But I am beginning to wonder if this behavior is caused by something Sage is doing or something else in my system that may be fighting with Sage.

I want to add that the glitch is in the video and is not a direct decoding issue. If rewind the video the glitch is in the MPEG stream in the same place.

Any comments?

My system:
PIII 1Ghz
512MB RAM
2 x Hauppauge 250's
Radeon 9000
Intel 815EP based MATX MB
120GB Western Digital Drive - All for Sage
80GB Maxtor drive - for everything else
DVD Drive

Running SageTV 1.3.8 using the Intervideo codecs (with hardware registry settings) - have tried many combinations of codecs.

Last edited by mlbdude; 06-04-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:23 PM

Can you upload short clip to ftp.shspvr.com/incoming/
Old 06-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had similar problems but it appears to have been solved by replacing my Radeon 9000 based video card ,made by Sapphire Technologies, with an NVIDIA FX 5200 based card made by EVGA.

No problems since replacing the card. You might want to give the FX 5200 based card a try. I picked mine up at Best Buy for about $100.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:16 AM

Well if changing your video card made a difference it probably is driver related. I don't want to give in to bad drivers by spending money on hardware. But that may help to narrow it down for Hauppauge. Is there anyone out there experiencing the ghosting and glitches that is running a video card besides a Radeon?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

I see no ghosting or glitches watching on through my Radeon 7200 card. Haven't tried it recently with my 9000 pro card.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

My Radeon based systems are running the latest Catalyst drivers; 3.4 I believe. Perhaps an earlier driver works better?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

My first machine was a radeon 9000 based machine... and it had these problems..

sinced moved it to my new PC with horrible onboard graphics.. a 2.8 p4.. doing nothing but Sage, mostly without watching it.. occasionally then streaming it (whenever i watch.. i just wanted to point out mostly i'm not watching) and it too has problems.. the latest drivers being worse than previous ones...

I will be trying to get a graphics card in the 2.8 machine so i can watch hd-dvd of terminator2... will see if that helps then... hauppauge need to sort it out tho