SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Arrow MVP Client 1.3.0 (2005/08/16)

--Update 2005/08/16--

I have posted MVP Client V1.3.0 on streams.ch.

Most notable change is the support for SageTV 3.

Changelog:
  • Fix for connection problems after suspend.
  • No more disturbing MVP On-Screen icons (pause, stop etc.).
  • Support for SageTV 3
  • Improved MVP keep-alive handling (there should be fewer lost connections)
  • Start MVPClient with "above normal" process priority (added /ABOVENORMAL in StartMVPClient.cmd)
  • Improved timebar accuracy for live and timeshifted playback
Enjoy!

-Matt

--Update 2005/04/09--

I have posted a minor MVP Client 1.2.1 update on streams.ch that fixes the problem where the CPU jumps to 100% for about 30 seconds after turning off the MVP.

Those not seeing this CPU 100% problem with 1.2.0 do not have to update to this version.

Enjoy!

-Matt

--Update 2005/03/29--

The MVP Client Version 1.2.0 is now available on streams.ch.

The most notable changes are the addition of permanent MVP Client to SageTV Client binding in multi-MVP setups, configurable MVP IP addresses for setups where no DHCP server is available and the fix for the Music playback problems with SagetV 2.2.7.

Note: this version requires SageTV 2.2.7 or later.

See the Changelog for more details.

Enjoy!

-Matt

--Update 2004/12/05--

The MVP Client Version 1.1 beta 6 is now available on streams.ch.

The most notable changes are the addition of per-pixel transparency (no more dark screens when the OSD is active over video!) and support for the new 45 button remote control from Hauppauge.

See the Changelog for more details.

Enjoy!

-Matt

--Update 2004/11/12--

The MVP Client Version 1.1 beta 4 is now available on streams.ch.

It's really a minor upgrade and there are no (new) know bugs.

Changelog:
  • Playback and Live TV are stopped whenever connection to MVP is lost
  • OSD transparency is not affected by aspect ratio anymore (but changing the aspect ratio still has no effect)
  • New property GuiServer.minmizeToTrayOnStart to enable/disable automatic minimizing of the SageTV window to the Tray on startup (is off by default, set this to true to enable it)
  • Improved timing for Skip (Fast Forward/Rewind) (but no speedups of the OSD yet)
  • Simplified support for running multiple MVPs
Enjoy!

-Matt

--Original Post 2004/10/29--

Hi MVP owners,

like many of you I've been waiting for MVP support in SageTV. Well, I couldn't wait any longer and implemented my own. It's not perfect but it works well enough I'd like to share it with you all.

I hope you'll like it!

Links:Enjoy!

-Matt

Last edited by Matt; 08-16-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:32 AM

Wahoo! Thanks so much. I may have to go and get an MVP now .
Old 10-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
Wahoo! Thanks so much. I may have to go and get an MVP now .
Just showed my GF your latest SageMC on the MVP yesterday and she loved it immediately (and we never cared for STV alternatives before)! Please keep up your great work!

-Matt
Old 10-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Holy cow is this for real?

We've been waiting so long for this it's hard to believe an MVP client is actually here. I can't wait to try it out.

-Chris
Old 10-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Sage Expert

What is the video output quality like from the Hauppauge MVP? Will it be as good as my 6800GT on my SageTV server?

I'm guessing that this could be a real good idea for my spare room.

Also - my Sage server and Sage client PC's connect to each other via a Netgear ADSL wireless router/Access Point. would the MVP work if I connected it (wired) to the router.

Below is a link to a page that shows my flats setup with the wireless network.
I want to put the MVP in the middle room with the router.

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=7844

PS - could someone post some screenshots of the MVP client?
And another thing - can you watch 'live TV' on it? This is a must for me!

Last edited by ukmgranger; 10-29-2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Just showed my GF your latest SageMC on the MVP yesterday and she loved it immediately (and we never cared for STV alternatives before)! Please keep up your great work!

-Matt
Having gone through all of my own experiments with alternative STV's and the client through it's different stages, I too, like the MC alternative! The font sizes (with a few niggles...) all seem to give at least a 10' viewing resolution!

Great job so far!

BTW: My wife likes it as well! That is always the deciding factor!

-Jason
Old 10-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Sage

This gets a from Narflex.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

So when it says you need a sageClient machine. Does that mean any sageClient machine, not one dedicated for the MVP?

I do use a client box in my home theater, so I guess I can use it for the MVP?

thanks,
Old 10-29-2004, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmgranger
What is the video output quality like from the Hauppauge MVP? Will it be as good as my 6800GT on my SageTV server?

I'm guessing that this could be a real good idea for my spare room.
For "crital" viewing in the "HT" (6800 -> HDTV) you'd have to pry my 6800 out of my cold, dead hands

However I think this is the perfect thing for those with SDTV wanting a UI, and also for those non-critical spots where a cheap client is perfect.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
So when it says you need a sageClient machine. Does that mean any sageClient machine, not one dedicated for the MVP?

I do use a client box in my home theater, so I guess I can use it for the MVP?

thanks,
This deals with the Service/Client functionality of the software. If the Service is running, then Sage will open the UI under 'client' mode (to the service...).

You should be able to utilize the MVP client in the same manner that you utilize Sage from your PC. If Sage sends a signal to change the channels on your box, then in essence the MVP cleint will tell sage to send the signal to your box. I don't use a box, so I cannot verify this, but the client is really just an 'extension' of what you see on your PC screen!

-Jason
Old 10-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
For "crital" viewing in the "HT" (6800 -> HDTV) you'd have to pry my 6800 out of my cold, dead hands

However I think this is the perfect thing for those with SDTV wanting a UI, and also for those non-critical spots where a cheap client is perfect.
Your right... until the signal from the mvp comes out in anything other than 'SDTV' format (480) going fomr your 6800 to the MVP will reduce the image quality... :-(

-Jason
Old 10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm a bit confused by the usage of this.

I currently have two networked PCs, one running as Sage server, not in service mode, with the UI on my living room TV. My second PC is running SageClient in the bedroom.

Can I remove the second PC, run Sage with the UI on the living room PC and run the MVP client from the same PC as a separate Sage client served to the MVP?

Does this require installing my client license on the main living room PC in addition to the existing Sage install?

Do I need to run both the Sage application (non-service with UI) and a Sage client instance on the same PC? If so, does the extra Sage client instance require the same level of resources as the Sage client instance as it does on a PC running only the Sage client?

thanks!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Great App. Love it I did have one issue, I know this is like a beta virsion but when I watch recorded shows the sound seems to be off when I FFWD.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Nice work. Excellent job. Keep in mind you won't be able to play your ripped DVDs on the MVP because the MVP can't handle the AC3 audio. Everything else works great.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotuitdan
I'm a bit confused by the usage of this.
It is indeed confusing and hope Frey will streamline the differnent Client and UI modes.

Quote:
I currently have two networked PCs, one running as Sage server, not in service mode, with the UI on my living room TV. My second PC is running SageClient in the bedroom.
Doesn't really matter here, but why not run the server in service mode? Would make it more robust with reboots etc.

Quote:
Can I remove the second PC, run Sage with the UI on the living room PC and run the MVP client from the same PC as a separate Sage client served to the MVP?
Yes.

Quote:
Does this require installing my client license on the main living room PC in addition to the existing Sage install?
Yes. Alternatively, you could run the MVP Client on the second PC in parallel to your regular client, given you can access the video folders exactly as on the PC in the living room.

Quote:
Do I need to run both the Sage application (non-service with UI) and a Sage client instance on the same PC?
Not necessarily. But as I said above, the video folders have to be accessible exactly as on the PC running the SageTV server (drive mapping or UNC).

Quote:
If so, does the extra Sage client instance require the same level of resources as the Sage client instance as it does on a PC running only the Sage client?
Unfortunately, yes. It really is just another Client instance that pushes OSD, Audio and Video to the MVP.

Quote:
thanks!
You are welcome!

-Matt
Old 10-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKK
Great App. Love it I did have one issue, I know this is like a beta virsion but when I watch recorded shows the sound seems to be off when I FFWD.
I've not seen this for a long time. What's the source of your MPEGs and what quality do they have? Does this always happen or just sometimes? Does a short RW after FF cure the problem (as workaround)?

-Matt
Old 10-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

Matt,
When you say you can run the client and MVP in parallel, does that mean you can watch different things on the client as the MVP at the same time? Or do they both have to stream the same video at the same time?

I just want to add a MVP upstairs for my TV up there, but still keep the same functionality on my client downstairs.

thanks,
Old 10-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
Matt,
When you say you can run the client and MVP in parallel, does that mean you can watch different things on the client as the MVP at the same time?
Yep, with "in parallel" I just mean on the same PC. You can run any number of independed SageTV Clients on one PC with one Client license (given the PC has enough CPU power and RAM). One of them would be the MVP Client (by installing my MVP Code "into" it).

BTW, I've implemented basic support for Multiple MVPs. But this will require quite some CPU power and RAM (I see about 80MB RAM/instance).

-Matt

Last edited by Matt; 10-29-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Matt, RE:Resources, you stated that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Unfortunately, yes. It really is just another Client instance that pushes OSD, Audio and Video to the MVP.
Am I correct, though, that the MVP will do the decoding, so the second client won't be trying to decode two things at once if two clients are running? I assume that simply pushing the OSD and file data to the MVP doesn't require too many resources, although I could be wrong...

Also, if I run the server with UI (or the service and UI) *and* another client for the MVP on the same PC, can I watch different things and independantly control the menus in each location?

thanks again! I hope to try this over the weekend.

dan.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Matt, RE:Resources, you stated that:

Am I correct, though, that the MVP will do the decoding, so the second client won't be trying to decode two things at once if two clients are running? I assume that simply pushing the OSD and file data to the MVP doesn't require too many resources, although I could be wrong...

The SageClient streams it's display to the MVP.

Quote:
Also, if I run the server with UI (or the service and UI) *and* another client for the MVP on the same PC, can I watch different things and independantly control the menus in each location?
Yes. IF you are running the MVP side on a client license. If you are running in 'pseudo'-client mode (ala the service and UI) then no. In fact (while slightly off topic), there is an option to disable the rendering on the server PC which will save a few tick of the CPU cycles...

Quote:
disable_desktop_ui_rendering=true
-Jason