SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-31-2004, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm really enjoying the MVP client! A problem, though:

I'm running the server and the client on one PC. If I try to run in Service mode, Sage won't let me run the main Sage UI since I installed my client license on this PC. It seems I must run in non-service mode in order to have my main UI and my MVP UI separately available... Am I missing something? I checked the log and the main UI was complaining about my client license, although the client doesn't complain, nor does the service, nor does the server UI when not in service mode.

Is this related to installing a server and client license on one PC?

Everything works in non-service mode, but I'd like to try service mode again...

thoughts?

thank!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotuitdan
I'm running the server and the client on one PC. If I try to run in Service mode, Sage won't let me run the main Sage UI since I installed my client license on this PC. It seems I must run in non-service mode in order to have my main UI and my MVP UI separately available... Am I missing something? I checked the log and the main UI was complaining about my client license, although the client doesn't complain, nor does the service, nor does the server UI when not in service mode.
I had no problem running in service mode with SageTV and SageTVClient running on the same system at the same time. Did you install them to different directories? In SageTV, did you enable the SageTV Server in Detailed Setup -> Advanced while running in service mode? What network IP address are you using when you tell the client to connect?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I had no problem running in service mode with SageTV and SageTVClient running on the same system at the same time. Did you install them to different directories? In SageTV, did you enable the SageTV Server in Detailed Setup -> Advanced while running in service mode? What network IP address are you using when you tell the client to connect?

- Andy
I did install them in different directories and SageTV works fine when running *not* in Service mode with the SageTV server enabled, but I can't even run SageTV when in service mode. I can run the separately installed client, but not the main UI. Maybe the main UI is confused somehow, and I need to tell it something in the properties file?

thanks!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I did install them in different directories and SageTV works fine when running *not* in Service mode with the SageTV server enabled, but I can't even run SageTV when in service mode.
So, the service is running just fine & you can connect to it using the client? You are using the latest 2.1 beta for both installations, right?

When using the service, the SageTV UI portion actually uses the SageClient.properties file. Perhaps there is some configuration problem there. Try renaming SageClient.properties and SageClient.properties.autobackup. Then, it will get its basic configuration from Sage.properties the next time you start the UI while the service is running. Basically, it will then use the same properties it used when you ran it w/o the service in action. See if that helps.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply, Andy.

So I checked it out today.
I'm running the latest 2.1 betas for server and client.
The client installation (sagetvclient.exe) *can* connect to the service, but the main installation (sagetv.exe) *cannot* connect to the service. The client and main install are in different directories. I deleted all of my .properties files prior to starting the main install and it didn't help.

I *can* run the main install and the client together in *non-service* mode.

According to the sagetvclient_0.txt log, this is the problem:
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.765 SageTV received connection from:Socket[addr=/127.0.0.1,port=42024,localport=1509]
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.777 Connection lost from: Socket[addr=/127.0.0.1,port=42024,localport=1509] by:java.io.IOException: You may NOT re-use the same SageTVClient license on more than one machine!
Please vist http://sage.tv/buy.html to purchase an additional license key for this client.
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.777 Cleaning up c/s connection
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.778 Error establishing server connection of:java.io.IOException: You may NOT re-use the same SageTVClient license on more than one machine!
Please vist http://sage.tv/buy.html to purchase an additional license key for this client.
java.io.IOException: You may NOT re-use the same SageTVClient license on more than one machine!
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.778 at sage.av.hq(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.778 at sage.av.<init>(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.778 at sage.ae.a(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at sage.ae.a(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at sage.SageTV.<init>(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.779 at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.780 at sage.Sage.b(Unknown Source)
Mon 11/1 19:15:27.780 NetworkClient fullCleanup null

Any thoughts?

thanks!

Quote:
So, the service is running just fine & you can connect to it using the client? You are using the latest 2.1 beta for both installations, right?

When using the service, the SageTV UI portion actually uses the SageClient.properties file. Perhaps there is some configuration problem there. Try renaming SageClient.properties and SageClient.properties.autobackup. Then, it will get its basic configuration from Sage.properties the next time you start the UI while the service is running. Basically, it will then use the same properties it used when you ran it w/o the service in action. See if that helps.

- Andy
Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Administrator

gotuitdan: are you using 127.0.0.1 as the server IP address for the client? Try using your PC's actual network address for the client. Anyone else have such a problem?

- Andy
Old 11-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I tried 127.0.0.1 and my actual subnet IP (192.168.1.101).

Neither worked. I'm wondering if there is a key problem. I remembered that I did accidentally install the client over the server and then uninstall the client and reinstall the server and client in their appropriate locations. Could I have screwed up what key goes where? That doesn't make much sense, though, since I can use the client app on the PC but not the main app on the PC in service mode.

I'm getting pretty frustrated. sigh.

other ideas? should i directly e-mail Frey? thanks!

Quote:
gotuitdan: are you using 127.0.0.1 as the server IP address for the client? Try using your PC's actual network address for the client. Anyone else have such a problem?

- Andy
Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Administrator

You could always email Frey. You should be able to run them both on the same PC & I'm not sure why this isn't working.

Is the client being used on another PC at the same time? You've entered the correct licenses for both SageTV and SageTVClient on this PC? Perhaps try the REGISTER command line parameter to clear out the current license keys & then enter the keys again when you run SageTV & the client again.

Since they were installed in the same dir at one point... Can you even run the SageTV UI at all when the service is running? When the service is running, make sure you are running SageTV.exe, not SageTVClient.exe if that happens to be in the SageTV dir too somehow. You did get rid of SageClient.properties & its backup in the SageTV dir & start again, right?

- Andy
Old 11-02-2004, 04:36 AM
SageTVaholic

just tested this on my system, and I get no problem running SageTV and SageClient on the same machine with service mode, and it does not matter which one I start up first (they are installed in the same dir in my case)...

The error message you get
Quote:
You may NOT re-use the same SageTVClient license on more than one machine!
suggests that this logging is actually from the SageClient, and that you have previously connected another client from another machine using the same licence (the server keeps a runtime list of the IP/licence pairs to prevent multiple clients using the same licence key)
Old 11-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

hmmm. i try the register parameter tonight. Would it be "sagetv.exe -register"? I did have the client on a different PC before the MVP client was available. I've now shut that PC off and want to run both from the server. Nielm is right that it doesn't seem to matter which I start first. The odd thing is that the client license that was previously on my other machine will always start correctly, and the main UI will *only* start when *not* in service mode.

In fact, no, I cannot run the main Sage UI at all when in service mode, regardless of the client. It always freezes at "initializing sagetv service" (or something like that as I'm not home right now).

The whole system works fine in non-service mode, but I'd prefer to be running in service mode...

As for the .properties files, I cut all of them (originals, autobackups, personal backups, etc.) and put them in a different directory so Sage wouldn't find them. It did regenerate a new .properties file, but it still didn't start up.

Can you confirm the method for the Register command line?

thanks a lot for your help! Hopefully, this'll get settled soon... :-)
Old 11-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

I believe it needs to be capitalized "sagetv.exe REGISTER"

Also may need to do the client too "sagetvclient.exe REGISTER"

EDIT: Oops! Corrected, no dash needed (been a while since I ever had to use that one).

Last edited by mls; 11-02-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
hmmm. i try the register parameter tonight. Would it be "sagetv.exe -register"?
See Appendix D in the manual. It has to be ALL CAPS w/o a dash.

Quote:
I did have the client on a different PC before the MVP client was available. I've now shut that PC off and want to run both from the server. Nielm is right that it doesn't seem to matter which I start first. The odd thing is that the client license that was previously on my other machine will always start correctly, and the main UI will *only* start when *not* in service mode.
I didn't mention the client being on another PC previously, since SageTV's memory of where the license was coming from used to get cleared when the server was restarted. I think that is still the case, esp. since you are not having a problem running the client itself.

Quote:
In fact, no, I cannot run the main Sage UI at all when in service mode, regardless of the client. It always freezes at "initializing sagetv service" (or something like that as I'm not home right now).
This is the part I don't understand, since I don't know why the service would reject its own UI, as long as you are running SageTV.exe.

If re-registering the license keys doesn't help, I think I would take the more drastic steps of uninstalling server & client, deleting the dirs, then reinstalling. If you do this, don't forget to save copies of your wiz.bin files & other customizations such as channel logos. You will lose your recordings details if you don't keep wiz.bin.

Perhaps Frey tech support has more info on my the service would reject its own UI because of a license issue.

- Andy