SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Sage Expert

Not Full Screen Anymore

Hi:

I did a search in the beta forum but did not find anything on this.

I did not go through the betas this time and waited for the final release. No problems updating except for the following change in function:

Upon reboot, Sage starts in sleep mode in tray as before and as desired. When opening Sage from sleep, it does not open full screen. Version 2.0.19 opened in full screen. Once toggled to full screen, Sage opens in full screen from sleep mode thereafter. This just occurs after a reboot and opening Sage from sleep first time (not full screen).

Is there a sage.properties or a command line switch I need to add to the startup reg entry in the "Run" key?

Thanks.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 11-04-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Try exiting Sage after you've set it to fullscreen (either Alt+F4 in fullscreen or right click the tray icon and exit).
Old 11-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Sage Expert

Stanger89:

OK. I'll try that this evening to see if that gets it to stick. I generally reboot with Sage in sleep mode as opposed to completely closed. I thought I had done one reboot with Sage completely exited after updating but will have a definite run at it as suggested.

Follow up OT question:

Any new Girder SendMessage commands for this new release? If so, anyone compile just the additions for easily appending?

PS: I like the new little animated "r" object in the handle!

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 11-05-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Nope, nothing new on the command/sendmessage front.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
Any new Girder SendMessage commands for this new release? If so, anyone compile just the additions for easily appending?
If there had been, it would have been in the manual; no need to compile & upload any list. See chapter 8 of the manual for a list of some of the overall changes.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Sage Expert

That didn't work. Killing the app (alt-F4) or quitting through the tray icon does not make full screen mode stick after a reboot.

If no solution, I guess I'll have to set up a "full mode" button on my remote. Any other possible suggestions?

DFA
Old 11-05-2004, 04:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I assume you don't want it to always start in full screen mode:
(Setup->detailed setup->Advanced->load on startup = full screen)
Old 11-05-2004, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

I had come across the same issue in one of the betas. Make sure you stop & disable the Sage service. Now startup Sage and set it to full screen. Reboot and make sure it will come up in fullscreen like you want it. Now close Sage and re-enable and start the service. From this point on from a reboot you should get your fullscreen setting to hold. This is what worked for me.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Sage Expert

I'm back.

First, thanks for more suggestions.

The plot thickens.

Background:
I decided not to step through the beta process this time and let the Sage aficionados and gurus sort it out (compliment intended). I upgraded directly from 2.0.20 to 2.1.10. I copied out the Sage folder and installed over the top.

I had not yet looked at the new Sage service or even opened the applet for it that Sage provides but assumed it was running by default. Lack of curiosity I suppose and also because I became focused on Sage not going to full screen when opening it from sleep mode after a reboot.

Based on gplasky's suggestion, I went to "Services" and found the Sage service in "Manual" and not started. Using the Sage applet, I found that enabling the service puts it in "Automatic" (as I expected). I tried starting the service from the applet as well as at the XP "Services" dialog but it would not start (timeout error). I had to check off (enable) the "Allow service to interact with desktop" before it would start. Assuming this is the correct configuration for the service and I don't have some other deeper problem, it seems the installation process should install the service either "Disabled" or probably more preferably "Automatic" with the "Allow service to interact with desktop" box checked by default.

Returning to the issue at hand, I have not been able to get Sage to open to full screen mode when opening from sleep mode after a reboot. I prefer to have Sage configured to startup to the tray on reboot as in the past.

I tried most all permutations with the Sage service disabled and enabled. I tried cycling through many reboots with "full screen" mode enabled first and "none" enabled before reselecting "start to tray". I tried rebooting it in sleep mode, full screen and exited (closed). I even tried moving the startup command from the HKCU "Run" key to the HKLM "Run" key. Interestingly, Sage will delete it from the HKLM "Run" key and restore it to the HKCU "Run" key even if Sage is completely closed when making the change. Anyway, no luck.

I'm wondering if this might be an OS thing. Any possible OS setting that would prevent Sage from being able to open "full screen" from sleep mode? Version 2.0.20 opened full screen from sleep mode after a reboot so I am at a loss. It's not a deal breaker by a long shot but just seems not too big a deal to get it to open full screen from sleep as before. If no solution, I'll just set it to open full screen which is more default WAF than having her open it from sleep after a power fail, for example, and coming up windowed; that would result in a complaint and what-to-do call.

Jeff: If you're out there, any clue?

EDIT: Shortened lengrh of post a little (still long).

Regards,
Dane

Last edited by DFA; 11-06-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am seeing the same issues as reported by Dane. I too would like to see Sage start in the system tray upon reboot, but anytime I restore it from sleep, I want it to come up in full screen mode.

This used to work fine in 2.0.X ... but stopped working in the 2.1.x betas and in the final 2.1 release.

I hope this is just a bug that will get fixed soon.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

i had the same problem with sagetv not opening up in fullscreen mode when having sagetv 2.1.10 start up in the system tray when booting. i have the firefly menu come up first on my system and from there then i go into sagetv. and with this arrangement, after selecting sagetv from my firefly menu, then sagetv 2.1.10 unfortunately opens up in a window after the startup and not fullscreen at that point forcing the user to manually maximize the window to get sagetv to go fullscreen.

also had the problem in sagetv 2.1.10 with the TV picture not resizing properly (either not quickly enough or not resizing at all) when going from a menu that has a TV PIP and to fullscreen TV picture and vice versa in 2.1.10.

i've rolled back to 2.0.19 since that works fine for me and also since i have nielm's customization with my tweaking it's menu.xml to mostly TV-only stuff.

ruel

Last edited by ruel; 11-06-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

I'd submit a bug report/support request about this one, it shouldn't be that hard.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Sage Expert

Agreed. I'll do one some time this weekend.

Besides the main topic (fullscreen), there also seems to be a problem with the default installation of the Sage Service requiring the user to do some post-installation manual configuration (Check the box for "Allow service to interact with desktop"). Might cause casual users some grief.

DFA
Old 11-06-2004, 12:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
Besides the main topic (fullscreen), there also seems to be a problem with the default installation of the Sage Service requiring the user to do some post-installation manual configuration (Check the box for "Allow service to interact with desktop"). Might cause casual users some grief.
I haven't had to to that. What OS are you running?
Old 11-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Sage Expert

Stanger89:

Running WXP, SP1. I recently migrated from W2K. It would not start for me w/o setting "Allow service to interact with desktop". I'll investigate further.

DFA
Old 11-07-2004, 05:19 AM
SageTVaholic

In both XP home SP2 and 2K SP(latest) I have never had to manually reconfigure the service to allow desktop interaction...
Old 11-07-2004, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm running XP Pro SP2, and haven't had to change anything to get the service working.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm seeing this with 2.1 also. Sage boots in tray mode, and everytime I reboot the first time Sage starts up from sleep, it's in window mode. But starting from sleep not from a fresh reboot, it's fullscreen.

I had to map a button to toggle fullscreen as a workaround.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Sage Expert

Followup to off-topic Sage Service issue I was initially having:

I toggled the service back out of "Allow service to interact with desktop". I no longer get the startup timeout error and am unable to duplicate what was initially happening after the install. So, not sure what that was all about but appears to be gone now.

DFA
Old 12-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Sage User

I can reproduce this every time - please fix it

This is definitely a bug in 2.1. It always happens to me, on both SageTV and SageTV client (2 separate XP SP1 PCs, which were both upgraded from 2.0).

I am NOT using the service mode of Sage.

Just exit SageTV while it is in full-screen mode, and then launch it as it does at Windows startup:

SageTV.exe -startup
SageTVClient.exe -startup

...and it will not be in full-screen mode. Fortunately, I don't normally reboot my PCs.