SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 11-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Sage User

Exclamation Ditching Sage for MCE2005 = Sage/USB-UIRT clearance sale...

Yet another defector...

After spending >2 months trying to get Sage stable, I've finally defected to the Windows MCE2005 camp. I really wanted to like Sage, but I had issues where it would freeze half the time I tried starting up Live TV and occasional video stuttering, among other things. I tried everything I could think of - new TV card drivers, new motherboard (nForce2) and video (onboard nForce2) drivers, new Java, even reinstalling Windows - and I still had problems. I even sent in a support ticket to Frey for help, but never got back a reply (this was about a month ago...).

Anyway, I installed MCE2005, and it's been working great. I had some initial problems with font corruption, but checking out various MCE forums led me to some threads discussing this issue with onboard nForce2 video - a specific driver version fixed the problem, and I haven't experienced font corruption since. The video playback is smoother (no stuttering), and IMHO the video quality is about the same (I was using the NVDVD 2.55 decoders in Sage). Finally, my wife and I were happy to discover that channel changing in MCE is much faster (probably about 1-2 seconds, vs. >3 for Sage), which actually makes channel surfing a little more plausible. And the "look and feel" of MCE means Sage definitely has its work cut out for it. Now I'm just hoping for a HDTV Wonder for Xmas to put in my MCE machine...

Now I just have to figure out what to do with my copy of Sage and my USB-UIRT that is collecting dust... anyone interested?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

You may not be able to sell your Sage license. By the rules, you're not really supposed to be able to, but they may allow you if you email them.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 AM

I am in the oppisite camp. I switched to MCE05 but now find it is missing recordings for various reasons. Never happened with Sage. Still like MCE though, just not the PVR part.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:00 AM

You know blammo this first time you said any about your problem.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Sage User

I didn't post any messages about my problems because a) I had checked the forums for other people having stability issues with Sage and b) I had tried pretty much everything except for buying new hardware (not something I wanted to do). I was also waiting for a response to my email to Sage support.... I got busy after that and ended up just putting in MCE, as I was tired of dealing with Sage problems... I'd already spent several days working on it, and reinstalled Windows twice.

As for not being able to sell the license, that's a bummer. So I basically spent $60 on Sage and $60 on a USB-UIRT that I won't be using... what a nice license.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Just wonder blammo what PVR card did you get?.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo
As for not being able to sell the license, that's a bummer.
Email Frey, and I'm sure they'll work with you on that.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Blammo,

If it's still available, I'd be interested in buying the USB-Uirt from you. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

-PGPfan
Old 11-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Just wonder blammo what PVR card did you get?.
I have an Avermedia M150. I originally was using the drivers on your website SHS, and I also tried the newest ones that are available from Avermedia's website. Neither affected my stability problems...

As for selling the USB-UIRT, I was hoping to package it with Sage for someone interested in setting up Sage on their machine (i.e., maybe selling Sage and the USB-UIRT for the same price that a new USB-UIRT goes for... or something along those lines). If anyone's interested, PM me and I guess I can email Frey to see if we can work something out...
Old 11-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'd be interested in the Sagetv license if they allow you to transfer it.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Sage User

Thumbs down Update...

Okay, an update on the question of whether it is possible to transfer the Sage license - the answer from Frey is no. They said I should continue to contact Tech Support to try and solve my problems, but they won't allow me to transfer the license that I legally purchased...

Anyway, I've found a buyer for my USB-UIRT, so I guess I'm not taking a total loss on my experiment with Sage. I will also try installing Sage on my Dad's PC, as he was complaining about the WinTV software that came with his PVR250.

So, for those interested in purchasing SageTV, keep in mind that you're stuck with Sage once you buy it...
Old 11-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Sage Icon

Well, it's not uncommon for software licensing, especially software that depends on the internet, to be licensed to one person/company and not transferable.

That said, sorry you've had problems. I'm a brand new Sage owner, and so far, it has worked quite smoothly.