SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Will Sage TV work on Win XP MCE?

Hello!

I'm still working on building my HTPC. I have a chance to purchase Win XP Media Center 2005 because of the hardware I'm buying. I'm thinking it would be a good move to go ahead and get this because I'm sure if I decide to NOT use it, I'll be able to sell it since it is difficult to get.

I already have purchased Sage TV but don't have it up and running. What I'm wondering is if Sage TV will run on the MCE operating system without conflicts?

Lets say it will. If it will, are there advantages to running Sage on Win XP over MCE? And then, one step further, are there advantages to running Sage on Win XP Pro over Win XP Home? I already have Win 2000 so should I just put my copy of Win 2000 on my HTPC and be done with it? Just kinda wondering if 1) Sage will work with MCE and 2) is there a "best" operating system to install Sage on? FYI, I have purchased two Sage Clients to run in other rooms if that matters.

Basically, I'm building a couple computers and need new Operating systems. Like I mentioned above, I currently use Win 2000 but have been wanting to upgrade to Win XP Pro. I'm going to get at least one copy of Win XP Pro for my main computer but am undecided what to use for my HTPC.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Sage Expert

I'd stick to XP Pro smooth driver creaminess. But if you can get a working, stable pvr solution with Win2K that you're happy with then don't waste the money. XP has grown on me like a fine fungus even though I liked Win2K since RC3. Hey, my games, wireless, and media systems are easier with it than otherwise.

MCE=PVR on a stripped XP Pro distro (no domain support but IIS). You may want that route as a backup if you don't like Sage, et al. YMMV but you will need boards that are supported by both MCE and Sage (not a hard feat.)

Last edited by dagar; 11-06-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

As long as you disable the MCE portion you should be fine. As dagar said MCE = XP Pro + PVR - Domian support.

Personally I'd go with XP MCE since there's not really a downside.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks guys!

Looks like I'll get one copy of Pro and one of MCE since I don't need domain support.

I was reading somewhere I thought that MCE was a beefed up version of the Home setup and not a slightly stripped version of Pro setup. Good to hear it is based on the Pro platform!

Thanks again!