SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Sage User

Help - Cpu 100%

We had a couple of short power outages this morning, the computer restarted itself and Sage locked up. When I tried to restart version 2.0, it would eventually load but stayed @ 100%.

I removed Java and reinstalled this, and loaded version 2.1, but the service pegged the CPU @ 100%. I restarted the computer a couple of times but this always happened.

I then reloaded version 2.0 and again CPU @100%. I was using Ffdshow, so I went into setup and changed this back to intervideo for DVD and video but still @ 100%.

I was using Sonic and Ffdshow, could it have anything to do with possibly Sonic getting corrupted?

Any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2004, 11:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Unfortunately, my guess is that the wiz.bin is corrupted, try moving it (in case it's not the problem) and the wiz.back to another location and try starting Sage again.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Sage User

Thanks, it didn't work. After deleting the 2 files, when Sage 2.0 tries to load it freezes when "Priming Seeker...". CPU @ 100%, so I ended the process.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:23 PM

Then sometime elae is corrupted or you have some kind of hardware problem.
I try this first: Powerdown the PC pull all power cord's yes even the Monitor to and psuh Power ON Button and OFF a few times and plug the power cord back in.
But that dosen't work above then try this: Try reboot push F8 and re-load the profile belive or not but sometime this dosen't help.
But that dosen't work above then try this: Try doing a scrandisk by runing Disk check and be sure check the both box's (Automatically fix files system errors) and (Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sector) and yes you need reboot so it can do it thing.

Last edited by SHS; 11-07-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKT
Thanks, it didn't work. After deleting the 2 files, when Sage 2.0 tries to load it freezes when "Priming Seeker...". CPU @ 100%, so I ended the process.
Oh heck, I had a similiar problem when I was having over-heating problems with my hard drives. This was before 2.1 came out, however, I speculate that the problem was caused by Windows not shutting down properly.

I never figured out what the root cause was, however, to correct the issue, I ended up just reinstalling the entire OS / software etc. and the problem was gone.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 11-08-2004, 04:04 AM
Sage Expert

100%

same on my server, but when i give the directories for recording and so to an other devices ...no problem...sage don't like my externel firewire device. with other programms no problem with this device.

cu
dibu
Old 11-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Sage User

I haven't tried all of SHS's suggestions yet, but wanted to give an update.

My kids played Halo on the system for over an hour with no problems. Internet Explorer works fine. Sagewake loaded, DVDshrink works.

I also did a system restore, but still 100% CPU when loading SageTV 2.0 or 2.1.

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Sage User

Another update. WinTV works fine.

I got SageTV 2.0 to load last night with Java. This was after I removed both including the Frey Technology folder.

When I was configuring the system, when loading the EPG for my cable, the CPU load started fluctuating up to 85%, even after the guide had been loaded. I disabled the wireless network connectin and then the CPU usage dropped to 0.

Then I went to change the video and DVD directories, and when I got one set the CPU went to 100% and stayed there. I repeated the entire process of reloading SageTV with identical results.

Any idea what's corrupted? I'm now to the point of starting over with a fresh install of XP, but wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion before I do this.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKT
Then I went to change the video and DVD directories, and when I got one set the CPU went to 100% and stayed there.
Sounds like you've got a bad file in one of your import dirs, try adding them one at a time until you figure out where the file is.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Sounds like you've got a bad file in one of your import dirs, try adding them one at a time until you figure out where the file is.
i just dealt with this and I ended up completely removing the frey tech dir structure after backing up wiz.bin and .bak, sage.prop and sageclient.prop and menu.xml and a couple of other misc. recently modified files (and my custom STV)

reloaded from scratch - copied everything back in and I was up and running.

I am wondering if corrupt guide data could be the culprit (interrupted guide update with a reboot etc.)
Old 11-09-2004, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Looked for zero length MPG's in your video directory?

Mine would stop at "Priming seeker ..." and when I deleted the zero length MPGs all was well.

Probably not your problem but worked for me.

BobP.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:42 AM
Sage User

Thanks everyone, I'm getting closer.

Last night I went through the files and I saw the one that was recording during the power outage. I deleted it and everything loaded properly. I was able to record and watch live TV, and play back DVD's.

I closed Sage and loaded Sagewake and when I tried to reload Sage it would not open but hung up. I didn't write down the entire message but it had something to do with backing up OD, but never came out of this after waiting a couple of minutes.

I tried to load a different EPG with this installation, and I may have some bad channels (the guide I loaded had channel numbers into the 800's). Don't know if that would cause this or not.

Tonight I'm going to do a fresh install of Sage and see if it will work, now that I think I've gotten the bad file deleted.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

Any number of things could have gotten corrupted with a power outage. May I recommend getting a good uninteruptable backup power supply. I have an APC 1500 UPC with everything plugged into it (including my tv). With my 19" monitor and the tv running it should hold up for over 20 minutes. With the monitor and tv off it would continue chugging for well over an hour if the power went out here.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:00 AM
Sage User

Thanks everyone, everything is working again in Sage. I eventually had to reinstall Sage 2.0 and delete everything in the saved video, but that's OK as there wasn't much in there and we'll catch them on rerun. Now my only problem is the system didn't sleep, so I need to see if sagewake will be working, but assume it will. It did record last night though.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just had the same problem after a Sage crash, and it was resolved by deleting my most recent recordings, as in the two that were being written at the time of the crash.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to matterw
Sting777, I had the SAME problem! I renamed the old Frey directory and re-installed Sage. I copied over the wiz.bin and sage.properties and it is running fine now. I didn't have to delete and of the video files. I wonder if Frey can give us a utility to "checksum" or validate the wiz.bin file. I also did notice a lot of "u00" (nulls) in the sage.properties file, hmm....
Old 12-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKT

2.0 did this to me too a few times.
Actually it is not FREEZING.. let it do what it has too do. I had to wait 10 minutes one time. after it completes all is well!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 12-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Sage User

100% cpu usage

I had this same problem a couple weeks ago. For me, it happened when I added the Favorite "Movies". It wound up giving a lot of conflicts, but it didn't bother me. I just wanted a bunch of movies recorded.

Apparently, it bothered Sage. It was in a never-ending loop causing the 100% cpu usage. So, it seems that if you have too many conflicts, you may want to remove a favorite and test from there.

John
Old 12-30-2004, 05:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to matterw
I get that as well... I can't image that a 3.0ghz HT server with 1 gb of memory is not enough? I think there is some kind of issue with SageTV ... This is the only program I am running on the machine -- I am running SageTV on my server in Service Mode...
Old 12-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterw
I get that as well... I can't image that a 3.0ghz HT server with 1 gb of memory is not enough? I think there is some kind of issue with SageTV ... This is the only program I am running on the machine -- I am running SageTV on my server in Service Mode...
Well if you have followed my other thread where I state there is in issue with my PVR-150 and Sage, I just got my Roslyn card replacement (PVR-250MCE) from Sage last night and I STILL have this 100% CPU usage.

Can I ask does this 100% usage issue accompany the symptom that when you try to play live tv from the program guide, it shows black???

What even further complicates my issue is that for every 4 out of 10 times I close and restart SageTV, the problem disappears!!

I swear I would go back to using 2.0 but unfortunately I am addicted to Nielm's Webserver pluggin which doesn't work in 2.0!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 12-30-2004 at 06:29 AM.