SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Sage User

jittering after testing new beta briefly

I tested the 2.1.7 beta and attempted to use sage as a service that could wake the computer up. This didn't work at all, I think because hibernation and standby on my motherboard is crap.

But even when sage wasn't running as a service, I had this wierd problem where if I was watching a recorded show and sage started recording another show at the same time, playback of the show I was watching would start to jitter very regularly. A pause every 5-6 seconds.

So I gave up on the beta, blanked my HD, restored 2.0 from a ghosted image and copied the old sage folder (including that wiz and that .bak file). Now on startup sage reports itself as being version 2.0, but I still have the jittering problem!

If I quit sage and re-start it, the jittering stops, even tho sage goes back to recording whatever show it was recording that caused it to start jittering.

Also, cpu usage is really high when it's jittering: about 80%. Then after quitting and re-starting sage, CPU usage is about 30-40%, even tho its doing the same thing.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to matterw
I am having a this similar problem. I would say 1 out of 10 shows that SageTV records for me playback in a jerky mode. While the sound plays as it should the picture only updates every 2-5 seconds -- more or less the recording is worthless.

Is there any fix for this?

Setup:
SageTV 2.1 as Service
Intel 2.8 HT w/ 1gb mem
Old 11-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Sage Fanatic

I see, the same behavior sort of... When recording 4 shows it uses an awful lot of cpu. way more than it should for just recording. Also when this happens my streamzap is very unresponsive.

I was able to alleviate the problem by changing the buffering settings I used to have, but I still see hiccups in the recordings. It is like a number of frames have just been dropped in the video. With the buffering it does not pause, but still see the jumps in video.

See this link:
http://www.sage-community.org/index....-do-i-fix-this

I do not understand why the default buffering on Sage is still only 2 MB. I always bump mine up to 32 MB.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP