SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls
Sounds like one of those flakey LinkSys routers. I have one that is stupid like that also. From the LAN side if you type that in it will try to connect to its setup page (even if that is disabled for the Internet side). Yet, from the outside (Internet) it won't.

My D-Link doesn't have that odd behaviour from the LAN side.

You also have to open up the appropriate port thru the router for access from the outside. Then you'll have to include the port number in the URL like this:
<hostname>.no-ip.com:8080
The router is a Netgear DG834G, which is supposed to be pretty good.

I'm pretty sure that the port forwarding is setup ok in the router (I think), and I am entereing the address as you suggest.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Sage Expert

OK - now I'm confused. I have managed to access the webserver through 'anonymizer'. how come I can't get to it through a normal browser?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmgranger
OK - now I'm confused. I have managed to access the webserver through 'anonymizer'. how come I can't get to it through a normal browser?
Where were you when you connected in thru anonymizer? Was it from a computer outside elsewhere, or from a computer on the LAN side of your Router?

If it was from the LAN side, then maybe you're router is behaving like my LinkSys does. That is, it won't allow connecting out and back into itself (since the out and in IP numbers would be the same). If you go thru anonymizer, that would hide the IP so that what's trying to connect back in is a different IP, so that could work.

If you're trying to connect from a computer on the LAN side, then it would be better to use the IP of the computer you are trying to connect to instead of using the no-ip.com route. I think many routers don't like connecting out and back into themselves. Actually, kind of supprised my D-Link lets me do it, but my LinkSys will not, so maybe your NetGear won't work that way.

Have you tried from another computer outside somewhere else?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Sage Expert

not tried anywhere else yet. It sounds like a good theory though. I'll get back to you when I have tried it
Old 12-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Love love love this plugin. Thanks so much!

Now if I can only get the site to load on my Sidekick2...

Last edited by nicktripp; 12-18-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Nielm,

I have a problem with the plugin. sometimes, when I schedule a show via the WEB interface, it appears in the 'upcoming recordings' in the WEB IF but it's not recorded and it does not appears it the 'upcoming recordings' in Sage's IF... I have to restart the service to get it working again...

Regards

Ferdinand
Old 12-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Will there be an update?

I've been using this plugin without any problems for about 1 month.
Other than never being able to figure out the pathing to my photos (it's a user issue), this plugin is darn solid!

Which brings me to my question:

Will there be an update? I'd like to see more developed regarding searching the EPG like wildcards/keywords when searching.

Thanks for the excellent contribution to SageTV!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 12-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

Request for next version

Niel,

On your next version, would you consider adding Original Air Date, First-run (or not) and episode number to the description?

Thanks,

Stacy
Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Sage User

Compared to... VNC?

As much as I like this piece of coding (and I do, don't get me wrong), aren't there more advantages to using a VNC software package with web interface (possibly even one with SSL encryption) and a solid firewall (Sygate, for example)? I'm just concerned about the security issues of a de novo java webserver. RealVNC works well so far for me logging into my home machine from away and changing the recording settings.

Just a thought.

ink.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:13 AM
SageTVaholic

RE updates: I have been very busy at work recently, coupled with a 2yr old generously giving her parents all the childhood diseases that she finds at kindergarten , so have not had the motivation to do late evening coding (sorry!)... The feature requests have been noted... The next update will be mainly bugfixes...

Re VNC: The real bonus is accessibility from platforms that only support web access (internet cafes, PDAs) and corporate networks that only allow outgoing HTTP through a proxy!
Second advantage is responsiveness/bandwidth: Even UltraVNC can be really slow on a 128Kbit ADSL uplink, especially when scrolling the TV guide.
Thridly, the web interface allows a lot more information to be displayed at once (eg in the TV guides)
And finally complexity: if you are using VNC/SSL, and want access you will need to carry around a disk with a VNC client, an SSL client, and your SSL shared keys, perhaps with PC, Mac, Linux, Solaris (etc) versions of the tools... With this web client, all you need is a machine (any machine) with internet access and a web browser.

Security wise, using VNC without SSL tunneling is probably more insecure than using this webserver . The java server code has been around for a while, and it is much more difficult to exploit Java code than C code (no buffer overflows, 'proper' String handling, exceptions etc)

But, if VNC is good for you then thats cool

Last edited by nielm; 12-21-2004 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSpace
I have a problem with the plugin. sometimes, when I schedule a show via the WEB interface, it appears in the 'upcoming recordings' in the WEB IF but it's not recorded and it does not appears it the 'upcoming recordings' in Sage's IF... I have to restart the service to get it working again...
This is very wierd -- the webserver uses the same internal interface to retrieve the information as the SAGE UI...
Is the webserver plugged into the service, or to the client UI?
Do you get the same problems the other way around (setting a recording in Sage not showing up in the webserver).
Was there an EPG update between scheduling the recording and when it actually took place (with XMLTV, any change in showname/episode name/showtime would cause a manual recording to be lost)?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
RE updates: I have been very busy at work recently, coupled with a 2yr old generously giving her parents all the childhood diseases that she finds at kindergarten , so have not had the motivation to do late evening coding (sorry!)...
Niel,

No worrys! I've got a two-year old as well. I, too, am dealing with seemingly being sick all the time from the human petri dish that calls me Daddy :-)

Good luck.......
Old 12-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Sage User

realms.properties

I have edited my realms.properties file so that there are two accounts one that can do what ever it wants (admin) and another that can only view whats going on (guest) but both accounts can only view whats going on. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

SageTV Web Actions=/sage/Command,write:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/AiringCommand,write:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/ManualRecord,write:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/ResolveConflict,write:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/TimedRecord,write:only

SageTV Web Interface=/sage,admin:admin

SageTV Web Actions=/sage/Command,read:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/AiringCommand,read:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/ManualRecord,read:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/ResolveConflict,read:only
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/TimedRecord,read:only

SageTV Web Interface=/sage,guest:guest
Old 12-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Sage User

[B]CAN you change the channels remotely over the internet or WEB?[/B]

I need to know if you are able to change the channel over the web or internet outside of your LAN. I am trying to watch my live tv over the internet uysing the following setup.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225049

it just allows me to watch live streaming video over the internet but I want to change the channel as well, I know snapstream has the capability to do that, I already bought sagetv, sagetvclient, If i didnt I would have probably gone for snapstream. Also can you tell me if snapstream is any better than sagetv or not.

thanks

Kamran
Old 12-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

I have used both and with the current STVs available for Sage there is no longer anything about Beyond TV that I favor. I do not use the web streaming feature, so that doesn't give any point to Beyond TV for me.

Everything else, including community support and Freys updates are better in my opinion. The fact that you have to pay for extra tuner licenses and for Beyond Media is a major downfall. In SageMC all these functions are rolled into one and they work seemlessly. Beyond Media and Beyond TV have no integration at all.

I can't speak about future releases, only what's avaliable right now. However with the rumoured release of Sage TV 3.0 around the corner I'm sure Frey will still stay ahead of the competition.

I can't help with changing the channels... I also thought that web streaming was only possible with software encoder cards, which Sage doesn't support.

Depending on how important this is to you, I've heard of people runnig the latest Sage on there hardware encoders and Beyond TV 3.4.4 on one software encoder in the same machine. This, in my opinion would be the best setup.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamran
I need to know if you are able to change the channel over the web or internet outside of your LAN. I am trying to watch my live tv over the internet uysing the following setup.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225049

it just allows me to watch live streaming video over the internet but I want to change the channel as well, I know snapstream has the capability to do that, I already bought sagetv, sagetvclient, If i didnt I would have probably gone for snapstream. Also can you tell me if snapstream is any better than sagetv or not.

thanks

Kamran
As Wheemer indicated, if you are using SageTV then you must be using a hardware encoder. In BTV LiveTV streaming only works for software encoders. However, if streaming over the internet is your primary concern you probably at least started with the wrong product.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Back from my vacation, and webserver did everything as advertised. VNC filled in the only missing component I didn't realize was not there. Turns out there is no favorite management (add/del/change), and that turned out to be an issue. "Boiling Points" (MTV show) apparantly had a marathon, and added 12 episodes, eating up a lot of space. I turned if off as a favorite by saying record only 12, but saw no favorite options via webserver. Did I yet again miss something right in front of me? If not, is this planned as a future enhancement?

Really appreciated the webserver. It helped manage TV while I was on the road. Easily added a 60 minutes episode and primetime live ep after seeing ads for them on my motel TV screen. Thanks again for helping make SageTV the fleshed out PVR environment it is.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Sage Icon

niel,

Having a little difficulty getting SSL to work....

I ran the key maker program and it appeared to work correctly. It stored the .keystore file in c:\documents and settings\mediaserver. (mediaserver is the user that's always logged in)

The documentation says to move it to the %HOME% directory. What is that?

I tried placing the file in the \webserver\ and \webserver\sage directories but nothing will ever come up, even on localhost. It's like it cannot see it.

Thanks for any help.

Stacy
Old 01-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

The actual directory varies from computer to computer. Mine was located in documents and settings also. It usally places it in the folder for the account your currently logged into. In your case that would be "media server." For you this is your %Home% directory. Things should work fine without having to relocate the file.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoBen
The actual directory varies from computer to computer. Mine was located in documents and settings also. It usally places it in the folder for the account your currently logged into. In your case that would be "media server." For you this is your %Home% directory. Things should work fine without having to relocate the file.
It's always been in that "home" directory. I only copied it, in error, to the web root.

here is my sage.properties line:

nielm/webserver/ssl_args=-keystorePass password -port 80

Anything wrong with it? By the way, I want to use port 80 so I don't have to enter the port number every single time. However, I have also set it to port 8443 and it still won't work.

Tags
web