SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to aberson
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: VM_Bind

This is a weird one.

I had sageweb working just fine for a few months. Some random sage hiccup caused my .properties file to get wiped out, so sageweb wasn't starting up. I fixed the properties file, but noticed sageweb still wasn't working.

Looking in the sageweb log files, it said: "java.net.BindException: Address already in use: VM_Bind"

I used "netstat -a" and determined that 8080 was indeed in use, but couldn't tell by what. I thought maybe some sort of trojan... I found a great utility from sysinternals.com called "tcpview" that tells you which program is associated with a bound port. Turns out, SageTv.exe is bound to port 8080... weiiiird.

so, I modify the properties file to use 8081 for the sage webserver, restart sage. Indeed the webserver is running and working now on 8081, but TCPView shows SageTv.exe is still Listening on 8080 too!

Attempting to connect on 8080 returns "HTTP 400 - Bad Request"... so there IS some sort of HTTP server running on 8080 (?). Is the webserver getting started up twice for some reason? Note, this "bad request" was the same error I was getting before switching to port 8081.

Anyone have any ideas? It's working again now (though, 8081), and I'm getting ready to do a fresh re-install soon, so it's not too urgent, just thought this was weird.

Thanks!
Adam
Old 04-29-2005, 06:31 AM
SageTVaholic

That is a wierd one... one possibility is that you are using service mode, and the SageTV UI is also running a web-server (configured in sageclient.propertes)...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Update webserver to v1.2!

I have been off sick for a while, and found some motivation to update the webserver...

IMPORTANT: if upgrading, backup your realms.properties and menu.properties file so that any changes you made are not lost.

See the Wiki page for download link.

New version v 1.2 28 Apr 2005

Global:
  • Use 'all' CSS media type
  • Add timeout for pull-down menus
  • BUG: check for UI on SageCommands/PlaybackCommands
  • BUG: corrected spelling of Episiode
  • better display of Music/Picture file information.
  • highlight EPG cell focus (except in IE), sports, movies, news (using same criteria as sage)
  • clicking on EPG cell background (as well as text) goes to detailed info
  • included Wheemer's web-remote
Timed record:
  • BUG: Fixed month selection in timed record

Conflicts:
  • BUG: manual/favorite conflict confirm now works

EPG grid/list:
  • lowlight airings in the past
  • highlight focus (except in IE), sports, movies, news
  • jump to options on [Show Options]
Home:
  • Added Force EPG update button to Home screen (only appears if last update was more than 1 min ago)

Detailed Info:
  • Add FirstRun/ReRun to Detailed Info screen
  • Improved setting padding on manual records (no more entering -5 mins!)
  • Show AiringID, MediaFileID in detailed info
  • Add !ParentalRating to !DetailedInfo
  • include 'Archived' indication
Search: Big re-work!
  • pages of results
  • no more grouping
  • Searching within other fields (such as people)
  • custom sorting
  • search for airings or mediafiles
  • fixed bug where Search does not cope well with categories with special characters

Experimental new feature:
  • Edit EPG info for a show: Allows DB information to be added/edited for video files (eg naming Timed Recordings, adding parental restrictions), but makes the file an Archived recording. For more info on editing show data, see the Wiki

Last edited by nielm; 04-29-2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

minor update to v1.3

One bug (at least) slipped through the net!

v1.3 29 Apr 2005
Global:
  • Fix bug in search where detailed info could not be displayed for results with mediafiles
Old 04-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Sage Icon

Everything is working great for me... As always Neil, you keep brings us great additions to sage.

Keep it up!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks!!

I just installed the Webserver for the first time, and it looks good. I guess that "favorites management" is delayed again until the mythical next version?

I set it up running on the standard port 8080. But since I manage my own domain DNS through zoneedit.com, I was able to make it easier to access my SageServer without having to type in the :8080/sage/home stuff. I set it up so that Sage.mydomain.com web-forwards to http://home.mydomain.com:8080/sage/home . home.mydomain.com is the dynamic IP address to the home router, and the router forwards port 8080 to the SageServer.

Thanks, Jack
Old 04-30-2005, 06:17 AM
SageTVaholic

just to clairfy why port 8080 was used: lots of viruses attack port 80, so using a different port avoids a great majority of these attacks (the attacks are usually directed at IIS exploits, which should not affect this webserver, but IMHO it is better to be safe...)

Favorites management are delayed... According to the announcements, SageTV3 (whenever it appears) will allegedly have a web UI, and should handle favorites, so I am reluctant to do work that will effectively be made redundant in a few weeks/months/whenever we see V3...
Old 04-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

regarding favorites management, I can understand not wanting to spend time coding something that will be obsoleted in the (hopefully) near future.

And the 8080 stuff I understand also. I just wanted to mention that it was possible to have the webserver running on 8080 to minimize possible attacks but set up an alternate (short and easy, ie: sage.mydomain.com) URL that web-directs you to http://home.mydomain.com:8080/sage/home URL. I'll probably even move it from 8080 to something else later, help improve the "Security through Obscurity"

Jack
Old 04-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Great web server! I've been using 1.1 for a while, just installed 1.2. Looks great except the "Down Arrow" doesn't show up in program guide - grid view in Firefox. It does show up in IE6 though. So, in Firefox (my preferred browser) I have no way of using the mouse to page down! Is it only me?
Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Sage Icon

It shows up fine for me using firefox and win XP.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Sage Icon

Force EPG update result in the following error screen:

Exception while processing servlet:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: Exception while executing SageApi: "GetChannelNumbersForLineup" numargs=2
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: Exception while executing SageApi: "GetChannelNumbersForLineup" numargs=2
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.SageApi.Api(SageApi.java:20)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.ForceEpgUpdateServlet.doServletGet(ForceEpgUpdateServlet.java:45)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.SageServlet.doGet(SageServlet.java:128)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
at Acme.Serve.ServeConnection.runServlet(Serve.java:1528)
at Acme.Serve.ServeConnection.parseRequest(Serve.java:1503)
at Acme.Serve.ServeConnection.run(Serve.java:1392)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sage.SageTV.api(Unknown Source)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.SageApi.Api(SageApi.java:17)
... 8 more
Caused by: sage.a.e: Error in method reflection of GetChannelNumbersForLineup of java.lang.NullPointerException
at sage.u.a(Unknown Source)
at sage.ai.if(Unknown Source)
... 10 more
Old 04-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

That's strange. I attached a screen shot, the other arrows are visible, just no down arrow!
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guide.jpg (35.5 KB, 336 views)
Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Sage Icon

It's strange how your's seems to overlap... And after manouvering around the chennels a bit I did notice times when the down arrow was gone, a quick refresh brought it back.

Seems like there is something fishy.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

You're right, after a refresh (browser refresh - not the refresh on the page), it comes and goes.
Rob
Old 04-30-2005, 03:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I just retested in forefox 1.0.3, and yep the down arrow seems to appear and disappear at random...

So much for standards compliant browsers... I tell the arrow to appear on top of everything and it goes and hides! And it seems to be completely random! Hitting F5 brings it back, but just hitting Go in the address bar makes it go away!..

(PS: I have no problems in Opera, which has been the nicest browser to code for, Both Moz/firefox and IE have had problems I had to work around...!)

(some playing later... )

Try this... in webserver/webroot/sage/sage_all.css, find the block labelled 'table.epggrid td.channelid img.pagedown'; change the line 'bottom:2px;' to 'bottom: 0px;' and let me know if it works for you.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Still comes and goes, browser refresh seems to bring it back!
Rob
(This was after a re-start of Sage)
Old 04-30-2005, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Update to v 1.4

V1.4 May 1 2005

* Fix force EPG update button
* Workaround annoying Firefox EPG-Grid bug which means that pageup/down arrows don't get drawn sometimes

This means that the EPG cells with the pageup/pagedown buttons are no longer nicely aligned... If you don't use Firefox and this annoys you, you can uncomment the lines of css code in sage_all.css labelled 'Firefox bug workaround'
Old 04-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

nielm,
You did it! Works great now on Firefox. Thanks for the hard work on a very useful and elegant utility. Just a suggestion, since this is usually used on a wired, fast network connection, how about a very long scrolling grid style guide that can be scrolled with the wheel mouse? Dishnetwork.com has a guide like that, not page based, just a very long single page where you scroll to the desired channel.
Again, thanks!
Rob
Old 04-30-2005, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
how about a very long scrolling grid style guide that can be scrolled with the wheel mouse?
Rob
you can change the numbers of rows/columns displayed in the guide if you click the '[Show Options]' button at the bottom... It sets a cookie, so your home browser can have a big guide, and your work browser can have a smaller guide for the slower link...
Old 04-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Now that is cool! I didn't realize I could control the numbers of rows to display. It's perfect - scroll through all the channels I get.
Thanks again for this web server, it comes in handy to set things up when I'm at another computer like the garage, or downstairs.
Rob

Tags
web