SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:46 AM
SageTVaholic

New version 1.6

v1.6 -- 15 Jun 2005
  • BUGFIX: corrected caching of static files (affected mainly Opera, but should make all browsers quicker over slow networks)
  • BUGFIX: record options back for currently recording manual recordings.
  • NEW FEATURE: automatic download links for all media files -- no need to mess around with paths.properties etc
    note that this means MP3s can be streamed into WMP, and JPGs viewed in browser but for AVIs and MPGs, you have to download, or need a media player that supports HTTP streaming for AVIs and MPGs. The only one I know of is VideoLanClient

Note: for upgrading, the servlets.properties and throttles.properties files have changed and will need to be updated.

Last edited by nielm; 06-15-2005 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Sage Icon

Where do we access our other media files?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Sage User

I had the same question at first. I was thinking/hoping nielm meant that there was a full music library browsing similar to a web version of the Music part of Sage. What he meant is that if you go into the details page of any of the media (audio by doing an EPG search for music) there's a line that says "Files:" and has a direct link to that file. Clicking on it will play it locally or save the file. Good addition for now!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

Seems weird that you can only access that through searching... Is it hard to have a direct link to Media files and audio files? I think we can do that ourselves, just have never looked into it.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:36 PM
SageTVaholic

yes, via search is the only way for now...
A library browser is on the todo list...
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
yes, via search is the only way for now...
A library browser is on the todo list...

Cool!! When when! (psst read my PM please? )
Couldn't figure out how to use VideoLan and how to use it to stream video from my webserver. Any setup tips? Windows Media Player still tries to load video.
I made VideoLan the default app for MPG files but WMP still launches when I choose the video file from Webserver.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Videolan: So far, the only method I have found is to copy the URL in webserver, and paste it into VideoLan's Open Network Stream/HTTP box, then because VLC does not prompt for HTTP user/passwords, you have edit it to add the user/password in the format:
Code:
http://user:pass@mediaserver:800/sage/MediaFile?MediaFileId=123456&Segment=0
... not perfect... and it VLC will not seek into exact positions into HTTP streams (or more likely I have to fix something to make it work!)

I think that WMP will only stream WMV videos over HTTP, but WMP streams well with MP3s

Anyone know of an embeddable media player that supports AVI+MPG over HTTP with seeking?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Sage Expert

I did what you suggested but still when I click on the file in the webserver, it loads Windows Media Player. Why does it not load videolan? I've made it my default player for MPG files too.
Thanks

Quote:
Videolan: So far, the only method I have found is to copy the URL in webserver, and paste it into VideoLan's Open Network Stream/HTTP box, then because VLC does not prompt for HTTP user/passwords, you have edit it to add the user/password in the format:
Code:
http://user:pass@mediaserver:800/sage/MediaFile?MediaFileId=123456&Segment=0
... not perfect... and it VLC will not seek into exact positions into HTTP streams (or more likely I have to fix something to make it work!)

I think that WMP will only stream WMV videos over HTTP, but WMP streams well with MP3s

Anyone know of an embeddable media player that supports AVI+MPG over HTTP with seeking?
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 06-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
v1.6 -- 15 Jun 2005
BUGFIX: record options back for currently recording manual recordings.
rock on, THANK YOU!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

cmaffia, you can't just click: you have to copy/paste the URL into VLCs Open Stream dialog, as well as editing it to add the webserver user/password... (and IE is very keen on sending media files to WMP!)
Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
cmaffia, you can't just click: you have to copy/paste the URL into VLCs Open Stream dialog, as well as editing it to add the webserver user/password... (and IE is very keen on sending media files to WMP!)
What??!!, a M$ program overiding a users preference on purpose? Say it isn't so!!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
What??!!, a M$ program overiding a users preference on purpose? Say it isn't so!!

OK I cut and paste the url for a particular program in VideoLan and added my userassword@ as well. Still nothing.
Is there any other setup within videolan within that Open Network Stream box?

Under the Network tab, what am I choosing?

Old 06-17-2005, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
Under the Network tab, what am I choosing?
the HTTP/FTP stream type...
There is also a messages window that you can enable which might explain what goes wrong (view menu I think)...

I still need to do some fixes to the webserver on this to enable seeking in the stream...

I also found out that mplayer supports HTTP streams (but does not have a user-friendly GUI on windows!)
Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

i've just started thinking about setting up the webserver.
There is a problem however....I have my pc setup to suspend/hibernate.
I don't want to keep the PC awake all the time....so i need a way to wake it up remotely. I know it can be done over a LAN but is there anyway to wake up a pc remotely over the internet ? If not, do you guys keep the pc active all the time ?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

I leave mine on all the time.

The ~$4/month it uses in electricity (I metered it to see actual usage) is not a big deal to me.

Plus, I am a BIG believer that powering the machine up/down is much harder on them than running constantly. Having done industrial IT work for a long time, I can say that the most reliable systems we have are the ones that run 24x7...

And noise isn't an issue for me, as my servers are off in the basement.

Jason
Old 06-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

heat and noise are a factor for me as the pc sits in a closed entertainment center in the family room right next to the tv.

Also, i am not a heavy recorder - only record about two hours a day on avg. Having the pc running but doing nothing 90% of the time seems a big waste to me.

In fact, due to my limited use, the benefit of the web server is outweighed by drawback of having to leave the pc active.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Some people use the wake-on-ring feature of a modem... so phone home, PC wakes up, wait a few seconds, then try accessing the webserver...

of course if you don't have a Wake-on-ring modem, this is not much help!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Some people use the wake-on-ring feature of a modem... so phone home, PC wakes up, wait a few seconds, then try accessing the webserver...

of course if you don't have a Wake-on-ring modem, this is not much help!
interesting....i took out the modem as i thought i would never need it in an HTPC. I guess you can never say never....time to put it back in
Old 06-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

With Wake on Lan, it should wake from standby over the internet too if you are using a router. Mine works that way (system: Asus p4s800 mobo integrated lan, winxp, netgear router).
Old 06-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210
With Wake on Lan, it should wake from standby over the internet too if you are using a router. Mine works that way (system: Asus p4s800 mobo integrated lan, winxp, netgear router).
how can i configure / test that ?
set the mobo to wake on LAN - then what ?

BTW - my htpc is on wifi - you think it'll still work ?

Tags
web