SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
V 1.1 has been uploaded
Bugfixes:
  • Better handling of invalid values in sort/filter/group options
  • Delete file when running in SageTVService now works
  • Default upcoming movies search should now work!

Take care when updating not to overwrite any modified properties files (realms.properties/menu.properties)

I have also updated the Troubleshooting guide which has more hints for those of you having start-up problems.
Neilm~

You rock dude. This was the final piece of the puzzle for me as far as functionality. I was able to get it up and running without any major effort.

Thanks again!

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 11-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Independent of Nielm's ssl implementation, for those of you who have a linux system on your network backchannel, there is another totally secure way to implement this.

Any linux system that is running sshd and that you can access through port 22 can be used for this purpose. You need to be able to connect to the linux box from the outside world using an ssh connection. This can be configured easily to be virtually totally secure and unhackable. The only other thing that you need on the linux side is to run a local proxy. I use Tinyproxy listening on port 8888. You can use whatever you want. The proxy port doesn't need to and emphatically shouldn't be open to the outside world. It is just a backchannel proxy.

On your remote Windows system, you need a program called Putty (google it) and it's associated utilities. Using Putty you can create an RSA public/private key pair for access to the sshd system. If you configure sshd to only accept key pair logins, it's un-crackable. Once you can log onto the linux box from the outside world using Putty, you are home free. Putty can be configured to open a tunnel from any port on your local machine to any ip port pair on the other side of sshd on the linux box. You configure Putty to tunnel from some port (say 8080) to localhost:8888 where Tinyproxy is listening on the linux box. (I don't run the proxy until I connect to the server and then I kill it when I'm done, but that's just my paranoia) If you now configure your browser to use localhost:8080 as a proxy, you can connect straight to your SageTV web host. You log on the ssh connection, set up the proxy on the linux side, set your browser to use the local proxy port and that's it

http://<SageTV machine IP address>:8080/sage/home

Bingo.

In case it's not obvious, this method will allow you to securely access your backchannel in many ways. Any servers that you are running can be accessed directly through the Putty tunnel without opening their ports to the outside world. (eg POP3, SMTP)

Enjoy
Old 11-21-2004, 01:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your hardwork. I tried it on my main pc, it was easy to install. I am now going to try and integrate it into Netremote.

Dan
Old 11-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Sage Expert

GREAT

thats what im missing

i love it. nielm, when you come to germany...cive me a call...

Old 11-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

installed it - worked out of the box.

Thanks again for your effort nielm. No other community has such a lot of experts sharing their work with the community.
You guys make SageTV even more succeeding.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
Question - is the webserver capable of handling SSL and non-SSL at the same time? It would be great to have non-SSL available for use around the house, but SSL via the internet.
no, Each server process can only handle one socket type.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
Neilm - is there a downside to running the server outside of Sage? I like the idea of a separate process, just in case there's a problem with the webserver it wouldn't then crash Sage.
No, it needs to run inside the sage process to access Sage's data.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Sage Icon

May be klnown issue, but...

When I look at the Sage recordings in the web server, it doesn't seem to group the movies together in a folder.

On Sage when I look at my recordings list it shows MOVIES (21) as a folder.

In the web server it lists each movie as a recording (i.e. at the root level, not in a folder).

Jason

Last edited by JasonJoel; 11-21-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone using the webserver in SSL able to get it working with Firefox?

I have SSL setup (although the server is still on 8080, never went to 8443 for some reason... Any thoughts there?).

Works fine from IE6.

When I try to visit the web site from Firefox it asks if I want to accept the certificate, I say YES.

It then warns about the name being from "unknown", I click OK.

Then it says it can't connect because the certificate is invalid or corrupt: error -8182.

Any thoughts? I can just use IE6 to get there for now, but would be better if it worked in Firefox as that is my main browser.

Jason Bottjen
Old 11-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Jason,

I get the same error when I try to access the webservice from the same machine that is hosting it. But if I go to another computer on my home LAN, and connect, it works fine. It also works fine in IE regardless of which machine I am on. So I guess it's a Firefox specific problem, maybe with the way that it handles the certs. Hope that sheds some light on it.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 11-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Sage Icon

Weird, I AM trying it from a different computer than the Sage server. I don't have Firefox installed on the server.

I think it is something with how Firefox is handling certificates. I'm going to try and delete all certificates and see what happens.. I'll post back what I find. (EDIT: Nope that wasn't it. But see the next post for what DID work for me.)

In any case, it isn't THAT big of a deal. I'm sure it will get sorted out sooner or later.

Jason Bottjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous
Jason,

I get the same error when I try to access the webservice from the same machine that is hosting it. But if I go to another computer on my home LAN, and connect, it works fine. It also works fine in IE regardless of which machine I am on. So I guess it's a Firefox specific problem, maybe with the way that it handles the certs. Hope that sheds some light on it.

Last edited by JasonJoel; 11-21-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Sage Icon

Ok. Interesting.

In order to get the SSL web server working correctly under FIREFOX I had to insure that "TLS 1.0" (transport layer security) is enabled under TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> ADVANCED.

At least for me, if you don't you get the error -8182 when trying to connect.

Hope that helps someone to get it to work! If that makes it work for you, post back so we can confirm this solves the issue.

Jason Bottjen
Old 11-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Sage Expert

Great job. You should add the "rename servlet.zip to servlets.jar" to the troubleshooting guide. It seems alot of people (including myself) miss that one. This is definately worth the couple of hours I spent trying to get the server started before realizing I wasn't supposed to unpack the servlet.zip.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Sage Expert

when you guys use SSL, if you check netstat, does it open up both 8080 and 8443?
Old 11-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Sage Icon

Mine only opens 8080.

I'm not sure why, but on my machine it doesn't seem to use 8443 at all. I can't even connect if I try to use that port.

On my machine this works:
HTTPS://machine:8080/sage/Home

This does NOT work:
HTTPS://machine:8443/sage/Home

My SSL setting in the Sage.Properties are all default (I used all defaults when setting it up), except use SSL is set to TRUE (naturally).

Jason Bottjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
when you guys use SSL, if you check netstat, does it open up both 8080 and 8443?
Old 11-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Sage Expert

OK, so I figured out whats going on.

There is a Sage.properties entry called "nielm/webserver/port=" that is set, by default, to 8080.

While its totally intuitive to know to change this, i guess my inexperience with webservers really showed through. but at least it looks like a few ppl made the same mistake as me so i don't feel so bad
Old 11-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by turak
Great job. You should add the "rename servlet.zip to servlets.jar" to the troubleshooting guide. It seems alot of people (including myself) miss that one. This is definately worth the couple of hours I spent trying to get the server started before realizing I wasn't supposed to unpack the servlet.zip.
Are you serious??? ^%$^%$^%$#@#@$ No wonder nothing is happening!

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 11-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
In order to get the SSL web server working correctly under FIREFOX I had to insure that "TLS 1.0" (transport layer security) is enabled under TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> ADVANCED.
Jason: Good find. I did this on my server machine, and that cleared up the problem.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 11-22-2004, 01:35 AM
SageTVaholic

The servlets.zip problem is an IE problem!
  • The file hosted on the webserver is servlets.jar
  • Opera downloads it as servlets.jar
  • Firefox downloads it as servlets.jar
  • IE downloads it as servlets.zip (stupid IE!)
I have added a note in the installation instructions to rename it...

You guys who have figured out running it as an SSL server, it would be great if you could update the wiki instructions

Last edited by nielm; 11-22-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:41 AM
Sage User

Thanks NeilM, nice to have a mod that doesn`t

a) require loads of tweaking to get working
b) doesn't slow down my 900Mhz sage box to an unusable level

Keep up the good work

Chris

Tags
web