SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to bionicDan
VLC and Firefox on Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat View Post
Maybe there is another Mac guy that can help me with this one.

I wanted to try to stream a video away from home the other day, but the web server says I need VLC to do this. I already have VLC installed. I can't find any documentation anywhere on how to get Firefox or even Safari to realize that this program does in fact exist

Any suggestions?
I'm not sure how to do this either (and curious). However, I just tested opening the stream's link directly through VLC and it worked nicely.

To do this, I:
  • In SageWeb in your browser, right click on the wvx streaming playlist link and copy it.
  • In VLC (I'm using version 0.8.6a), click File | Open network...
  • Paste the link into the MRL box and click Open.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Sage User

Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with the webserver. From work I like to stream music through the export playlists portion of the web interface. At first everything worked fine, the playlist would populate winamp and go through each song on the cd (I have playlists created for every cd). Gradually, songs would start disappearing off of the playlist until just the most frequently played song would remain. There didn't seem to be any pattern and sometimes it would be a song that wasn't even frequently played remaining. So now when I try to access a cd's playlist I only get one or two songs in the playlist. I checked in the local sage and the playlists are complete. I can also search individual songs and get them to play through the web interface. The playlist files themselves are fine if I load them directly (not through the web interface). Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Nilem,

Currently I run your webserver on all my clients. Which works great I can control each client with webremote. What I would like todo is be able to isssue the stop command to a client using my remote using Girder. I am not sure of the syntax perhaps you can assist me. Is the below correct I would prefer it not open a webbrowser. Just send the command to the client.

h**p://sageclient:8080/sage/SageCommand?context=SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI&command=Stop&returnto=webremote.html%3Fcontext%3DSAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI%26contextname%3DLocal%2520SageTV

Edit:

I was able to do this using wget. I even was able to take it 1 step farther and created a girder GML that would control all my clients. So now at the press of the button I can use MY RF remote to control any Client I wish... with full remote commands even if no remote is attached.

example of my girder command.

C:\wget-1.10.2b\wget.exe h**p://sageclient:8080/sage/SageCommand?context=SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI&command=Play

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-19-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:07 AM
SageTVaholic

New version 2.12, now with Installer!

V2.12 Mar 20 2007 For SageTV 2.2-6.1

ENHANCEMENTS
  • Windows installer package to make installation a breeze
  • UPnP port forwarding support
  • (jreichen) Next Scheduled Recording on Home page
  • (jreichen) Mark Conflicts in Guide, Search Results, and Detailed Info
  • (emok) Added transcoding of video files with VLC for low-bandwidth video streaming (see WebserverTranscode)
BUGFIXES
  • Fixed folder rendering bug on Opera
  • (jreichen) Fix file size on Search Results page (find media file associated with airing)
Old 03-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yay for updates!

1) Does the self installer operate as a working upgrade package, or should I stick with the zip?

2) You wouldn't happen to have a Mac and know how to get VLC to recognize in either Firefox or Safari. I have tried everything I could possibly think of. I had to even edit your code to get the server to recognize that VLC exists! Once I click a video, i get "<no video>" in the little player window. I think it has to do with the mac VLC plugin for firefox, but not sure. Either way, for some reason sage web server won't acknowledge a valid VLC install.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
SageTVaholic

1) yes
2) I don't have a Mac, but just download the m3u playlist instead and open it with VLC..
Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

V2.13 Mar 20 2007 For SageTV 2.2-6.1

BUGFIXES
  • v2.12 only worked with SageTV6, this version should restore backward compatability.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there any update on the issue with recording quality, (post 1357) ?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Transcode

I tried the transcoding feature and I seem to be having trouble. I Have VLC loaded on My sagebox. Here is the logs from the webserver.

I Can steam un transcoded files fine to my laptop to view through VLC.

Thx

Technazz
Attached Files
File Type: txt Copy of AWS-20070320_065706.log.txt (14.4 KB, 247 views)
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
I tried the transcoding feature and I seem to be having trouble. I Have VLC loaded on My sagebox. Here is the logs from the webserver.

I Can steam un transcoded files fine to my laptop to view through VLC.

Thx

Technazz
Technazz,

Do you have any firewall software running? You may need to create an exception for the port range specified in the transcode.properties file, i believe it's 8000-8100 OR allow c:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\vlc.exe (in addition to sagetv.exe and sagetvclient.exe as an exception so the socket creation is allowed.)

Explanation: The webserver transcode feature works by selecting an available port in the specified port range and kicking off a vlc transcode process for that port. The server then connects to the vlc process on this port and returns the stream back to the requesting client as a response to the original client request.

E

Last edited by emok; 03-20-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Is there any update on the issue with recording quality, (post 1357) ?
I did try it, but could not reproduce it on my system -- it seemed to work fine (sorry I forgot to reply).
Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug1124 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with the webserver. From work I like to stream music through the export playlists portion of the web interface. At first everything worked fine, the playlist would populate winamp and go through each song on the cd (I have playlists created for every cd). Gradually, songs would start disappearing off of the playlist until just the most frequently played song would remain. There didn't seem to be any pattern and sometimes it would be a song that wasn't even frequently played remaining. So now when I try to access a cd's playlist I only get one or two songs in the playlist. I checked in the local sage and the playlists are complete. I can also search individual songs and get them to play through the web interface. The playlist files themselves are fine if I load them directly (not through the web interface). Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!
I am not sure I understand whats happening here...

Are the songs disappearing from the playlists stored in Sage (check the playlist contents in the Sage UI), or only from the exported playlists in the webserver?

Are the playlists and exported playlists fine, but the songs are disappearing from Winamp's playlist?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by emok View Post
Technazz,

Do you have any firewall software running? You may need to create an exception for the port range specified in the transcode.properties file, i believe it's 8000-8100 OR allow c:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\vlc.exe (in addition to sagetv.exe and sagetvclient.exe as an exception so the socket creation is allowed.)

Explanation: The webserver transcode feature works by selecting an available port in the specified port range and kicking off a vlc transcode process for that port. The server then connects to the vlc process on this port and returns the stream back to the requesting client as a response to the original client request.

E
Emok,

The windows Firewall was always turned off. I have no other Firewall software. I have a Router Firewall but Im accessing my local network directly so i think that should not affect it. As I said before I can stream no problem to VLC from the webserver but not transcoded files. Im wondering what else it could be?

Thanks

Technazz
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Technazz: Which VLC version are you using? If not the latest, have you tried upgrading?
Is your server a bit slow? The webserver retries for 10secs for VLC to startup and generate the transcoded vid, but this may be too little. Try increasing MaxRetries in the properties file..
Old 03-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
Technazz: Which VLC version are you using? If not the latest, have you tried upgrading?
Is your server a bit slow? The webserver retries for 10secs for VLC to startup and generate the transcoded vid, but this may be too little. Try increasing MaxRetries in the properties file..

I'm using the latest VLC .86. My server is a 3000+ AMD with 2 GIG of ram so I dont think its that.
Is there a location where the transcoded file is generated? Maybe I can see if VLC is working.

Ill try increasing the MAXRetries when I get home.

Thanks (this will null out a placeshifter purchase for me)
Technazz
Old 03-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm using the latest VLC .86. My server is a 3000+ AMD with 2 GIG of ram so I dont think its that.
Is there a location where the transcoded file is generated? Maybe I can see if VLC is working.

Ill try increasing the MAXRetries when I get home.

Thanks (this will null out a placeshifter purchase for me)
Technazz
There is actually no temporary transcoded file. The transcoding is done realtime by vlc on the server and the trancoded stream is output onto the specified port on the server.

The error we see in the logs are most likely either:
1) server VLC process could not start for some reason
a) could not create transcoding process streaming to the specified port
b) vlc could not find the specified file
c) possible invalid transcode options
2) sage webserver could not connect to server vlc process on the specified port
a) the internal URL that the webserver is using to connect to the vlc stream is invalid or unreachable

Can you specify:

1) System configuration:
SageTV version:
SageTV as service?:
Java version:

2) Steps you are using to reproduce (which link you are clicking on?).

Thanks,
E
Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

The transcoded file as such does not exist. the webserver pulls it from VLC via the loopback network, then forwards it on... The problem you are having is that the websever cannot connect to the transcoding VLC.

Sage's logging may also indicate some issues not all the logging went into the webserver logs...
[Edit: emok beat me to it!]
Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
There is actually no temporary transcoded file. The transcoding is done realtime by vlc on the server and the trancoded stream is output onto the specified port on the server.

The error we see in the logs are most likely either:
1) server VLC process could not start for some reason
a) could not create transcoding process streaming to the specified port
b) vlc could not find the specified file
c) possible invalid transcode options
2) sage webserver could not connect to server vlc process on the specified port
a) the internal URL that the webserver is using to connect to the vlc stream is invalid or unreachable

Can you specify:

1) System configuration:
SageTV version:
SageTV as service?:
Java version:

2) Steps you are using to reproduce (which link you are clicking on?).

Thanks,
E
Sage TV Ver 6.1.3
No Service
Java Version 1.6 beta (not the latest)

Im clicking on MPEG2 1 Mbps m3u file saving it and then opening it in VLC
http://192.168.0.100:8080/sagepublic...3D1%26mux%3Dts

Thx

Technazz

Last edited by technazz; 03-21-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: signature
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Sage TV Ver 6.1.3
No Service
Java Version 1.6 beta (not the latest)

Im clicking on MPEG2 1 Mbps m3u file saving it and then opening it in VLC
http://192.168.0.100:8080/sagepublic...3D1%26mux%3Dts

Thx

Technazz
Do you see a command window opened up by VLC on the server when you start the playlist from the client?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Do you see a command window opened up by VLC on the server when you start the playlist from the client?
I disabled that window with the --dummy-quiet VLC option because it breaks full screen exclusive mode

Tags
web