SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Sage User

Remote unresponsive

Hey all - I'm a bit new to SageTV, so far I am loving it. I am having a problem with the Hauppauge (new, silver) remote though. It works fine for about an hour - then it stops working completely. I am able to still control the App with my keyboard/mouse afterwards. If I wish to use my remote again, I have to reboot. I've searched the forums and came up with nothing, so any help would be wonderful

Running:
SageTV w/ cayars 14
Opus4's irremote.ini
WinXP Pro SP2
AMD Ath XP 3200+
1gb 3200 ddr
WinTV-PVR 150

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 11-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Which ini did you download? The one sending keystrokes, or the one sending messages?

If you are sending keystrokes, have you tried making sure that SageTV has focus after it stops responding?

When does it stop responding? Just in the middle of using SageTV, or has it gone to sleep either by itself or by your command to do so? Does it sleep in screen saver mode or as an icon in the system tray?

If nothing else, have you tried restarting ir.exe to see if it will respond after that, instead of rebooting?

Questions, questions... ?

- Andy?
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Sage Icon

if Sage sleeps in system tray instead of screen saver mode, should the remote be able to wake it? I can not figure out how to get it to wake?

Also, is there a place to go to learn how to get the most out of this remote?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
if Sage sleeps in system tray instead of screen saver mode, should the remote be able to wake it?
Yes, by changing your irremote.ini file in your Windows directory. (ini files are provided in links below)

Quote:
Also, is there a place to go to learn how to get the most out of this remote?
Linking by the numbers... Yes, see the Hauppauge remote links in my sig lines, especially #1 and/or #3. You can get even more out of it by using a different remote; for that see #2.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Which ini did you download? The one sending keystrokes, or the one sending messages?
Haup_no_focus_irremote_New_Remote

Quote:
If you are sending keystrokes, have you tried making sure that SageTV has focus after it stops responding?
Sage works without focus with this .ini (thanks again for your hard work ), but to answer your question - yes, Sage has focus.

Quote:
When does it stop responding?
Randomly (in menu, live tv, recorded shows...)

Quote:
Just in the middle of using SageTV, or has it gone to sleep either by itself or by your command to do so? Does it sleep in screen saver mode or as an icon in the system tray?
It sleeps only on my command. It sits in the system tray.

Quote:
If nothing else, have you tried restarting ir.exe to see if it will respond after that, instead of rebooting?
Yes. No go. Even if I end and restart both SageTV and ir.exe. The whole system must be restarted.

Note: I have the Logitech wireless duo (kboard and mouse) - would that affect the ir receiver at all?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoti
Even if I end and restart both SageTV and ir.exe. The whole system must be restarted.
When IR.exe is restarted, does it give an error message? Does the remote work to control _anything_? i.e.: after restarting, can you use it when loading a file named debug.txt in Notepad, or will the Go button bring up the Hauppauge menu?

Quote:
Note: I have the Logitech wireless duo (kboard and mouse) - would that affect the ir receiver at all?
My next queston was going to be about your keyboard. Is that radio or IR? I seem to recall something about some problem(s) someone had quite a while ago while using an IR keyboard. I don't know how RF could interfere, though. If you still have a wired keyboard + mouse, you could try giving that a shot to see what happens.

I'm used to dealing with irremote.ini configuration issues. I'm not sure what would cause it to simply stop responding & require a reboot.

- Andy
Old 11-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
When IR.exe is restarted, does it give an error message?
Sometimes (I believe only after the remote quits working, after a reboot I can restart ir.exe with no problem) - the error reads: "Unable to initialize infrared remote hardware" or something similar.

Quote:
Does the remote work to control _anything_? i.e.: after restarting, can you use it when loading a file named debug.txt in Notepad, or will the Go button bring up the Hauppauge menu?
I didn't know it could control anything else. Tested debug.txt after a reboot and that worked - inputs the name of each button. As for the Go button, that brings up the same thing that comes up when I double click the WinTV Remote Controller icon in the systray.

Quote:
My next queston was going to be about your keyboard. Is that radio or IR?
Not quite sure how to tell.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoti
Sometimes (I believe only after the remote quits working, after a reboot I can restart ir.exe with no problem) - the error reads: "Unable to initialize infrared remote hardware" or something similar.

I didn't know it could control anything else. Tested debug.txt after a reboot and that worked - inputs the name of each button. As for the Go button, that brings up the same thing that comes up when I double click the WinTV Remote Controller icon in the systray.
I meant that _if_ it would restart after it stops working, were you able to get thet output in debug.txt or use the Go button.

Oh -- try reseating the IR cable connector too. I know a few people had a problem with the cable, but they usually had multiple tuners & simply used the cable from another tuner.

And, you might check SHS's forum for possible info on the error message.

Quote:
Not quite sure how to tell.
Doesn't the box/manual say? Does it need line-of-sight to the receiver? You could always try using the old wired ones instead just to test for interference.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to suggest other than checking with Hauppauge.

- Andy
Old 11-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I meant that _if_ it would restart after it stops working, were you able to get thet output in debug.txt or use the Go button.
Well - the remote just quit working again (was watching live tv). I was able to restart ir.exe with no error, and then tried to get output in debug.txt and it did not work. The Go button also did nothing.

I have also tried reseating the IR cable - that was my very first instinct.

I do not have the box for my kboard/mouse - but it does not need a line of sight to work.

Quote:
Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to suggest other than checking with Hauppauge.
Thanks for your help, if you come across anything let me know

-Kyle
Old 12-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Sage User

Garrr, this is really gettin' my goat. I have checked the forum you suggested Opus and found nothing. I have called Hauppauge - They told me to disable Sage and use only the WinTV to see if the remote becomes unresponsive to make sure it is not a problem with Sage. It did, the remote stopped working just as it always does. I uninstalled everything (PVR drivers, apps, Sage, IR, ect..) and switched the PCI slot I had the TV card installed in. Then I reinstalled everything and the problem persists. This is driving me crazy. Does anybody else have suggestions?

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 01-11-2005, 08:27 AM

You might take a look in the Hauppauge forum.

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/
Old 05-10-2005, 06:29 AM

I have the exact same problem!

Anyone figure out a resolution. I'm having the exact same problem. Remote works fine for a few minutes, then just stops responding. Restarting IR sometimes helps, but usually doesn't. I have to reboot. Then, works for a few minutes, then craps out.

Same for WinTV2000 and SageTV. Arghhhh!

I replaced my irremote.ini file with the one from this board. It helped the remote control SageTV better, but only when it is working. Didn't help the problem with it just timing out after a few minutes.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

See: PVR-150 Remote Initialization Failed, which links to a discussion in another forum about IR Problems, where there is a link to a new driver. That newer driver might be this one or something newer.

- Andy
Old 05-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Sage User

I downloaded this new driver and it is not clear how to install it, or if it will work on the 250-350. Anyone have any information about specifics dealing with the driver update. I have remote problems as well. At random times the controller dies and only a reboot will revive it.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Sage User

Remote started dying with v2, still dying with v3

After about of year of continuous use without any problems using the HP 45 button remote with Sage v2, all of a sudden about a week ago it started dying after a few or several minutes, just as described above in this thread. I upgraded a few days ago to v3 with native support for the 45 button remote, and for a day or so it seemed like the problem was solved. Then just tonight it started dying again and only a full reboot would make it work again.

After it died I would restart IR remote, at which point I would get the "failed to initialize error."

Yet another problem, not just the remote would stop working, but the channel changer ability would no longer work, not just with the remote, but also in Sage using the mouse. All other functions of the mouse still worked.

Following threads, I downloaded and installed the latest IR remote driver from here ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/ir32/ir32_2.47.23175.exe, dated the end of August 2005. But when I installed it things got worse. Now whenever I restarted the new IR remote I got the initialization error and nothing worked.

Given that the last post here is many months old, perhaps there is a fix that everyone knows but me. If so, please share!

Thanks
David
Old 10-04-2005, 06:21 AM

I am having the exaxt same problem, i'm going to try to revert to the hauppage drivers and the IR.exe that came on the cd because i dont remember having a problem with that combination. I wonder if this is a windows problem.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Sage User

Remote death solution for Nvidia issue; Sleep recall issue persists

Following suggestions by Sage members I determined that it was a problem with my Nvidia-based system, and found the solution here:

http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=8765.0

Now the remote works great in every respect save one: if I use Green Power to put Sage to sleep I cannot get the remote to wake it up; rather, I must use the mouse. On old v2 the Green Power both put to sleep and woke Sage up. Any idea how to make it do the same with v3? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFighter
Now the remote works great in every respect save one: if I use Green Power to put Sage to sleep I cannot get the remote to wake it up; rather, I must use the mouse. On old v2 the Green Power both put to sleep and woke Sage up. Any idea how to make it do the same with v3? Thanks.
To add a little more clarity to my previous response, the 'extra lines' that I referred to can be found in post #3 of Hauppauge link 1 in my sig lines, below.

- Andy
Old 10-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Sage User

Wasn't sure if that same extra lines would work with v3, but it does. Thanks for your patience Andy.