SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Sage User

Remote file storage

Ok here is my situation. My sage system is running on a 2.8Ghz P4 with 1GB of ram on windows XP in a domain with a dedicated system drive and 120GB of storage for recording. I have another windows 2003 server running as a backup active directory server and has 2 drive arrays with 120GB in each mounted as D:\video and D:\video\storage2 both of these are seporate drive arrays just mounted inside each other for the sake of saving drive mappings. I want to use the two drives in the 2003 server to archive the recorded shows to but to NOT record to. My sage system is hooked to the network using 108Mb/s wireless with wep. It is not posable to run a network cable to the room the box is in so that is not an option. The 2003 server is hardwired into the rest of the network. I have been tring to figure out how to do this but so far all ive had it do is try and record over the network and well that just causes sage to crash when someone picks up any 2.4Ghz phone in the house as it makes the 802.11A/G access point restart itself even tho im using the 5Ghz range to do all my video work and the 2.4 for other laptops. Does anyone know how i can make sage archive automaticly to a network drive when the disk starts to fill but NOT record over the network?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Sage Icon

Flash,

Andy can speak more authoritatively about the disk usage, but basically Sage will record to whichever folder (local/mapped/unc) has the most free space allocated to Sage. This is going to be a problem for you since you have potentially 240GB free on the remote server folders versus 120GB or less on the local.

Searching through the manual, I cannot find any auto-archive feature, and furthermore the manual archive function does not physically move the file - it just takes it off the Recordings list and puts it into the Archived Recordings list.

You could try allocating in Sage only 1MB of space on each of the remote folders so they are still listed as video folders, and then have a scheduled DOS batch job move files over from the local folder to the remote folders. I have a feeling though that at best Sage would have to be restarted before it recognized the files in different folders, and at worst Sage would get some horrible error about the files being missing forever.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Administrator

No, there is no auto-archive or auto-move feature. A few others wanted to try setting some video dir to only use 1GB, then mark a file as a Manual Recording & move it to that dir. I don't remember if they said how it worked out for them. But, it is safest to move files while SageTV is closed & even then, a few people have reported problems getting SageTV to recognize the files in the new location. (Before you ask: I don't know why.) If they did get moved, you could try using the option to 'move' them to the archive. I would try this on a couple unimportant files before making it a policy. Then, you should be aware that currently the archive lists the shows as one uncategorized list.

Overall, I still feel that the best solution is to keep all storage local to the SageTV server, when at all possible. It just gets rid of all these networking issues & moving file problems.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Sage Icon

Actually Andy brings up a good point. Can you make the Win2k3 server your Sage server?