SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:19 AM
Sage User

Audio Level Problem with PVR-250 an SageTV 2.1.10

Last weekend I upgraded from SageTV version 2.0 to the latest 2.1.10 and have been trying to solve an audio level problem ever since.

I have two PVR-250s in my server, both version 16s. One records analog cable through the tuner and the other records DirecTV through the S-Video and Line inputs. The record level for the analog cable is correct and plays back at the same level as other audio sources. The record level for the line in from DirecTV is much higher and on most channels is causing audio distortion which makes watching most things off DirecTV almost unbearable. I've copied files created from both to another machine and played them back with WMP and they are recorded that way. The tuner capture is prefect, while the line in capture is way too hot and distorted.

Nothing else, hardware or software has changed except the upgrade to SageTV 2.1.10

So far I have tried the folllowing with no avail (rebooting after every change):
  • Updated PVR-250 drivers from version 1.17.390.22029 to version 1.18.021.22245. No difference.
  • Tried the HKLM\Software\Frey Technologies\Common\MSPAudio\Scart1Volume registry trick. No difference.
  • Also tried adjusting HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hauppauge\hcwTVDlg\AudioControls Scart1_Volume and also the PreScale_Scart1 & PreScale_Scart2 settings that supposedly adjust the difference in record volumes between the tuner and line inputs. No difference.

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA

-mark
Old 12-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Sage Icon

Nothing you can do about that yet'!
It is a known issue.
Frey has promised to address it soon.
This happens with some STBs that have a "louder" than others audio-out.

You could try to put an audio attenuator in between the STB and the PVR250.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Sage User

Thanks Lucas.

I was beginning to think that it was a problem with the latest release, but didn't want to jump to any conclusions without covering all the bases.

If there is not a fix soon, I'll have to go with the attenuator. The WAF is starting to drop pretty quickly.

Thanks again,

-mark
Old 12-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

My .02:

The way mwhite describes this:
Quote:
Last weekend I upgraded from SageTV version 2.0 to the latest 2.1.10 and have been trying to solve an audio level problem ever since.
It clearly sounds like this problem did not exist until the 2.1 upgrade. So it would be a 2.1 problem. Right? Rolling back to 2.0 may not be something you want to do (you have to restore the copy of wiz.bin 2.0 made prior to the upgrade). Now maybe 2.2 Beta fixes it (it's a Beta, but it certainly sounds like an improvement over 2.1), but this should be submitted as a problem to tech support.

TW
Old 12-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Sage Icon

You 're right. 2.0.20 is OK. This is what I am running now.
Once 2.1 came out I stambled on this..... went through all the motions that mwhite did and then after confirming that others had it as well I put a support request through. Frey suggested a few mods but none were successful. There final word a couple of weeks ago was that this will be fixed in an upcoming release.

I haven't tried 2.2.1 to see if it has been fixed since there is another issue that prevents me from using it full time even if the sound issue is fixed.

The attenuator, I think is the quickest fix and easiest route.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Sage User

After weighing the options, I decided I didn't have much to lose by trying the 2.2.1 beta. I did, and it doesn't fix the problem.

So, I've restored back to my 2.0 backup I made before I upgraded to 2.1 and the audio levels are once again correct.

Thanks to both Lucas and teedublu for your help.

-mark