SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Sage Icon

Half-Life 2

What a game!

And how well it runs on my system compared to BFV or even CoD. Makes me wonder if I really do need to upgrade my 9800 Pro??? HL2 graphics are amazing.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had the same experience -- this game seems to really take advantage of the GPU (in my opinion) to a much greater degree than other games I've seen lately. For example it runs much better on my lowly Celeron 1.7 than Doom3. I had been considering upgrading (and I still sort of am, actually to turn this one into a dedicated HTPC so I dont have to have 25 foot cables going to the TV and BACK ). Anyways, I've been really pleased with it. It's been fun, but there's something that is not quite as entertaining as the first one to me. Something about the level design and so forth ... ? And a little too much (any, at all...) of the jumping puzzles. Those are just dumb IMHO.

Anyways, it was worth my $60 CDN in the end....

Cory

EDIT: Oh! What do you think of the crazy install and the Steam copy protection? I was really unimpressed. First the install didn't work at all if you unselected "counterstrike source", and then once it was all installed (5 attempts later) I had to wait for 10 minutes as it unencrypted the installed files. Give me a break ... I mean, Im sure there are hacked versions out already anyways, so why inconvenience your legitimate users?

Oh well. All in all a fun game, *excellent* performance, but level design could've been better. More atmosphere maybe, I can't put my finger on exactly what I felt is lacking.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I finally beat the game the other night, and I have to say WOW. I love this game as much as I loved the first one. The thing missing for me was HL2 multiplayer, but they released that last week, so all is good for me now. Now all I have to look forward to is Duke Nukem Forever...... Maybe my kids will get to play that someday.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I loved this game as well, except for the seasick feeling driving the airboat. It was the rare game that I didn't want to see end. Even HL1 got tiresome on the Xen levels but HL2 delivered all the way through.

Yeah, heard about a lot of install problems for retail buyers, and the need for CD/DVD in the drive the play. That's why I'm glad I bought it off of Steam (got the Silver package). It was probably the most trouble-free way I ever got a game. I did all the pre-loads, it started unlocking at 12:02am on the 16th, and by 12:13am I was playing.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

I was never really a fan of the first one...a little monotonous (though, what game isn't?!?)...do yout think I would like this one?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Sage Expert

For the people confused about the story check this link out
http://fragfiles.org/~hlstory//
Old 12-09-2004, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

OK I have not finished HL2 or anything yet but
I cannot stop playing Counterstrike and CounterStrike Source
if anyone here plays and wants to play sometime pm me
my name in friends is kny3t_walker|z