SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Sage User

Use Girder to change DirecTV channels?

I have a Zenith HDSAT-520 DTV receiver that I would like to use with Sage to record HD content (downconverted through s-video, still looks much better than standard channels) along with the other channels. I am currently using MCE's IR blaster to change channels on this receiver under MCE. Since Sage cannot use the MCE IR blaster can I use Girder and a serial connection to change channels? I don't want to go back to my trusty DRD420RE because I really like recording downconverted HD movies, the quality is on par with DVD's. I have the required GML file for the 520's commands for Girder. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM
SageTVaholic

You should be able to, using exetunerplugin (do a search). But also, Sage may be able to control you box via serial directly.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:50 PM
SageTVaholic

not sure how many people use serial with DirecTV
but it works great with the native support built into SageTV

you should really give that a shot before trying to use girder

currently using a Sony SAT B3
Old 12-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Sage User

I used SageTV with an RCA DRD420RE receiver with a serial connection for a few months before switching to MCE, it worked great. Since MCE uses IR only I decided to hook up my HD receiver (Zenith HD-SAT520) so I could record downconverted HD programming through DirecTV such as HBOHD, SHOWHD, HDNET, etc. After running into guide problems with MCE I am wanting to go back to Sage and use the HD receiver because the HD channels downconverted to 480i look about as good as DVD content and they are 16:9. But Sage cannot control the HD-SAT520 (and Sony HD200) receivers because of a non-standard protocol. I found a Girder GML file that someone created for controlling this receiver, so if I can get Sage to tell Girder to handle changing channels then I can use a serial connection with this receiver in Sage. If not, I will have to use IR, and will have to buy a USB-UIRT since Sage cannot use the IR blaster that comes with the MCE remote (that I am aware of).

So, how do I tell Sage to use Girder for channel changing? Or is there a hack somewhere to use MCE's IR Blaster?

PS - stranger, somehow I missed your post, thanks for the info on exetunerplugin, I will search for it.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm
PS - stranger, somehow I missed your post, thanks for the info on exetunerplugin, I will search for it.
In case you haven't seen it yet, see the bottom of the right-hand column on the SageTV Configuration support page.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Sage User

I have been able to successfully control my Zenith HD-SAT520 (same as HD200) DirecTV receiver through Girder. I installed the exetunerplugin and reconfigured my PVR-250 to use that plugin in Sage. I edited the .reg file to point to my installation of Girder then installed the registry entry. Now, when I change channels in Sage, Girder blinks but does not change channels on my receiver. How do I link what is coming in to Girder from Sage to commands for my receiver? And what do the "DSSTUNE 203" options do when event.exe is called in the Girder directory from the command: "C:\\Program Files\\Girder\\event.exe DSSTUNE 203 %CHANNEL% -silent"?

P.S. I only have the Generic Serial plugin installed in Girder.