SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question Choppy Playback/Slow Performance with Custom STV's???

This could just be me with my high-powered system (see sig), but I was using Sage 2.0 with NielmSTV for a long time with no real problems with playback.

I've upgraded to Sage 2.1 and have used Cayars STV and mlbdude's SageMC, both of which are great STV's. However, I get real choppy playback quite often when using these STV's. I can be watching a show, and when something happens in the background such as a new recording on the hour or half-hour, the playback gets choppy and response to my remote commands almost non-existent. If I switch to the Original STV, this goes away...

Also, last night I was watching "Lost" with SageMC STV running. When they were running through the woods, the playback was choppy. I paused playback, switched to the Original STV, hit play on the file, and everything was hunky-dory (translate = 'fine'), no choppyness at all.

Why would an STV affect playback of a file so much?

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix

Last edited by RedCoat999; 12-09-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Sage Icon

A lot of this has to do with the implementation of ComSkip that is added to the STVs in the OSD. I've went through and made some changes to this code for thr Cayars16 release to get rid of some of this.

With that said however, it doesn't get rid of the probelm entirely as I don't think it's 100% STV related. For example if you are seeing this probelm in both mlbdude and cayars STV trying switching only between these two STV and not the originalV2.stv and watch what happens. The delay will vanish for a while but then come back again. I get the delay in the OriginalV2 also but it just takes longer.

I've been trying to figure this out so I can put a bug report in on it but without having more information I'm not sure I'd be much help just putting in a bug report.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for keeping up with this Cayars. I've been running Original STV for 2 days now and watched ~4 hours of recorded shows with no choppy playback and no delays with pausing, navigating menus etc. As soon as you release version 16, I will also install the latest beta from Sage and try that, but for now I am sticking with what works for my system, and that is the Original STV for high WAF! Keep on with the good work along with mlbdude, nielm et al.

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 12-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I posted in the main Cayars thread about this too.

I don't get stutter, but my drive never spins down and remote control response gets long delays, but only with Cayars. No problems with MC or Original. No ComSkip, latest 2.2 beta.

My computer is an old P3 running W2K, so I have a feeling that future releases of Sage and more complex STVs will be more than these loyal old machines can handle.