SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-13-2004, 01:06 PM

SageTV Design Question

Hello,

I have three TV's in my home all connected to Dish Network Satellite receivers. Ultimately I would like to have 3 SFF PC's running at each location, although initially I'll start out with one. My question is can I run a full installation of SageTv at each location, with each location making their recordings local and then having WinXP mapped drives between all three and be able to view any recording at any location. For Example, can I configure SageTV at location 1 to look for recordings locally, at location 2 via mapped drive, and location 3 via mapped drive.

I know the most logical thing to do is have a server somewhere that holds all the recording in a single location. Assuming a wired 10/100 LAN, would there be any perfomance impact of having the recording directory remote on the LAN. My biggest concern would be the buffering of live tv. Would that have to traverse the LAN? Or could you tell Sage to buffer local and record remotely?

Thanks,
Old 12-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Sage Icon

According to the manual, SageTV Recorder can be controlled by SageTV (server) throught the network. I'm not sure, but maybe the same can be done with SageTV client. That's my understanding of it, but I'll let someone else with network tuners experience confirm it.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Sage Icon

There is no way to have multiple Sage Servers synchronize with each other. You could setup the Video directory on one server as an Imported Video directory on the other servers, but it would not have show or recording info. I have requested server sychronization in the feature request thread, for what it is worth. Your best bet is to have one Sage Server and the rest be a mix of clients and recorders where needed. Sage will always record to the hard drive that is allocated the most space, wherever this is on the network, so unfortunately it is not possible to set recording folders per PC (another feature I have requested).