SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Exclamation Java Error! Please help

I was a very happy Sage TV user until I installed some automatic updates on my win XP (Professional edition) box that I was using with Sage and it abruptly stopped working.
I am getting the following error message from java every time I try to run Sage:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding

I have tried reinstalling Sage, Win XP, Java RE multiple times and the problem does not seem to go away.

I would appreciate any help I can get at this point. Thanks in advance.

cash
Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Sage User

Hi Cash:

Did you do a restore porint before you did the updates; or are you familiar with the System Restore feature in XP? It may be possible to restore prior to the update that kabashed your Sage install. Was this the latest slew of updates that just came out this week? I am about to do a reboot; will report back if anything strange happens

-Dan
1024x768 32bpp
Hauppage PVR-350
NDVD Decoder v1.00.67
RGB output to Panasonic 42" HDTV Plasma,
Windows XP SP2 1024x768 32bpp
Old 12-15-2004, 07:36 PM

Unfortunately I did not set a restore point on XP. I just looked up the help on how to do that.. Yes this is the latest slew of updates that are coming out.. Good luck with your updates.

cash
Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 PM
SageTVaholic

make sure to delete the java folder and any temp folders after uninstalling java
then reboot and reinstall
make sure SageTV is uninstalled as well
and then reinstall it
you can delete the Frey folder but save the properties files and wiz.bin
so you can restore your settings easily
Old 12-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Sage User

Hi Cash:

Updates did not appear to cause any system instability Let us know how your situation goes..

-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash
Unfortunately I did not set a restore point on XP. I just looked up the help on how to do that.. Yes this is the latest slew of updates that are coming out.. Good luck with your updates.

cash
1024x768 32bpp
Hauppage PVR-350
NDVD Decoder v1.00.67
RGB output to Panasonic 42" HDTV Plasma,
Windows XP SP2 1024x768 32bpp
Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Administrator

I think I had a situation where there were 2 java installations after a java update & things didn't work right. Did you make sure you only have 1 installation? If not, uninstall them all & reinstall java.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

YES, having two Java versions installed causes problems with Sage. And the default Java installer does not automatically remove any older versions. Manually remove older versions (until there is just one remaining) and if that doesn't clear things up, remove all of them and re-install only the most recent.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 AM

Unhappy

I think I may have ended up with 2 installations of Java on my box. But even uninstalling everything and installing just one instance cleanly does not seem to have helped. I am going to uninstall a lot more things and try again.

cash
Old 12-16-2004, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

did you bother deleting the program folder for java?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Definitely a must. You have to remove all remnants of prior versions of Java. If it still seems to not be working, try a reinstall of Sage (after most current Java is up and running) and see if that helps. You still should be able to copy over your properties file.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:33 PM

Talking

Thanks a lot for all the people who responded for my question. The problem went away after doing a clean install of java and a clean install of Sage.

cash
Old 12-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Sage Expert

I always look forward to MS updates and the wonderful improvements that they bring. Yes, sarcasim intended.

DFA
Old 08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Sage User

Fix that worked for me

I tried the clean install, and copied over the files detailed in the Clean Install FAQ, but still, the same error appered.
The fix for me was to delete the Sage.properties, and let the system re-create it. My favorites and current files were still there, just I had to remap the remote/config tuner cards.
Hope this helps anyone else that sees the problem,
-Matt
Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to Sunkman
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseiter
I tried the clean install, and copied over the files detailed in the Clean Install FAQ, but still, the same error appered.
The fix for me was to delete the Sage.properties, and let the system re-create it. My favorites and current files were still there, just I had to remap the remote/config tuner cards.
Hope this helps anyone else that sees the problem,
-Matt
I would like to thank you oh sooo much.

After running SAGE as service for about 8 months it decided to hang on the "SageTV is initializing". After investigation I found that it could not start the service. I went into Services and set SageTV to manual, rebooted, and then it came up with the "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding" error.

Based on your post I renamed my sage.properties to something else and waa-laa Sage is operational again. Thank You for the tip and saving me all the uninstall/re-install garbage.

I am still unsure how this happened. The only thing I can think of is that while watch a VIDEO_TS DVD it got hung on a certain part and I needed to do hard boot. This hanging happened once before and I needed to go through my complete setup again...seems this time it caused more damage.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to acrowe Send a message via MSN to acrowe Send a message via Yahoo to acrowe
I just had this happen out of nowhere tonight...

Looking at the properties file I had a bunch of junk after the zzz line.

deleting that fixed the startup prolem

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Sage User

Same thing here but a power outage seemed to be the culprit. I checked the bottom of the properties file and found several hundred lines of garbage. I cleared it out and all is well now.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
I always look forward to MS updates and the wonderful improvements that they bring. Yes, sarcasim intended.

DFA
This last weeks updates trashed my Sage server, I had to system restore back to 2-8-09 and rescan all qam channels, Windows update is turned off now, this has happened a few times now.

Scat
Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Sage User

Saved again by the forums

This is why I love the forums. Been running Sage for just over a year and just saw this error. A quick search led me to look at my sage.properties file and sure enough the first part of the file was complete and utter garbage. Luckily, the autobackup version was fine and just replacing the properties file with that version solved the problem.