SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to EByrd
Question Sage TV Linux Version?

I just finished reading an article in the January CPU Magazine about MCE2005. It also has a couple of paragraphs on the competitors of MCE2005. In the Sage TV description it mentions a Linux version of Sage TV. Is there a Linux version? Have I just missed it on Frey's websight?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:25 AM

If there is one then most like going be PRIVATE beta like only a few people.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Sage Fanatic

if i had to guess it would be that the extender boxes are linux based.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to EByrd
It specifically says :

" To lower the cost of your HTPC evenmore, try Sage TV's Linux version."

Maybe that is the announcement for CES??
Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

interesting - didn't notice that but considering that picture quality is my number one concern and most codec camps tailor to winblows i'll stick with what i have.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Well, being that its Java based, it can probably be done. but you can also bet that nothing at all will be said to confirm or deny it either at least until CES.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
interesting - didn't notice that but considering that picture quality is my number one concern and most codec camps tailor to winblows i'll stick with what i have.
You have a very good point there. The last time I ran linux the DVD decoding was utter crap compared to that in windows (Sonic Cineplayer) and nVDVD 4 is WAY better than CP.

That said, the latest Dscaler 5 decoders are based on libmpeg2, the same thing most linux decoders are based on so there's definitly promise for great PQ in linux.

The real question is if the Linux version will support DVD (with CSS) playback, if so, Frey would make HUGE inroads into the linux HTPC market as the first company with a commercially available Linux DVD player.

Guess we'll see.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:36 AM
Sage Expert

I know of Linux version that is private. That’s all I know about it though.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

Way back with v1.4, in an interview Dan had mentioned having a version running under Linux. There has been no mention of it since. I've suspected for a long time now that Frey has been working in the background with various OEM's to build and customize their own PVR systems. They could make far more money that way thru various licensing deals than they would from any direct sales to the public. I also suspect that is were Studio has ended up (for now anyway), in the background somewhere with OEM's.

The majority of those OEM set top PVR's normally run Linux. So it would be logical for Frey to be working on such things in the background. Of course, we as the average public would have no knowledge of such goings on. This could explain the very tight lipped attitude on their part for the last few months also.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Sage Icon

Hopefully we'll find out in < 2 weeks... (at CES)

I hope they cough up a LOT of infor at CES. Not just a bunch of teasers, and 'coming soon' (aithout saying when SOON is).

I will be SORELY disappointed if there aren't some firm dates on the SageTV 3.0 announcements at CES. And I will be even more disappointed if the dates are Q2+ 2005.

Jason Bottjen
Old 12-25-2004, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
I will be SORELY disappointed if there aren't some firm dates on the SageTV 3.0 announcements at CES. And I will be even more disappointed if the dates are Q2+ 2005.
If I had to make an uneducated guess, I'd say it would be very much like 2.0. IIRC 2.0 was announced at CES last year and went beta shortly after.