SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Sage Icon

Question Move mpg files from Sage w/o deleting

Hi all,

Has anyone messed around with programs on MTV, VH1, etc. by taking the file and splitting out the music videos?

I have various softwares to do the splitting, but..

I can't tell of a way inside Sage to move the file without deleting it. Since it will no longer be a viable "episode", I don't want Sage to refer to it. I am thinking the best way to do this is to Move to Archive inside Sage, but will Sage freak out if I start doing editing on the file while Sage is running? I have quite a few programs scheduled now, so stopping the service is rather risky.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

From outside Sage I just copy the file to a different folder for processing and then delete the original from within Sage.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

I do the same. Just copy it to another folder and edit the copy.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Administrator

You should be able to simply move the original file to its new location (after it is done recording, of course), removing it from its original location in the process. SageTV will eventually see that the recording is no longer there & drop it from its list of recordings. If you want it to be added to the library when you are done... I suggest using a non-library directory while editing.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:39 PM
Sage Icon

Korben, I am doing the exact thing.
Just move the file to another dir using win explorer, then minimise SageTV and start cutting and sowing. Bu moving and not copying, unless you do it across different disks, it means that it takes a zip.
The resulting Video clips, I place in a Library Import DIR and then they are available from Sage as well. Although I am having troubles with playin them all through the Video Play List.

BTW, what software do u use for cutting. I use NanoMpeg and although it's OK for the occasional cut, I think the resulting files are problematic sometimes at the end of file, with SageTV locking up. At other times, it seems it can't handle cutting from large (7-8Gb) files.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Sage Icon

VideoReDo works perfectly with SageTV files. Never have a problem with them but had all kinds of problems using Nano.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas
Korben, I am doing the exact thing.
Just move the file to another dir using win explorer, then minimise SageTV and start cutting and sowing. Bu moving and not copying, unless you do it across different disks, it means that it takes a zip.
I copy first before delete because I'm not only copying to a different disk but over network to my main workstation with more processing horse power. (From SATA RAID5 on Server via copper gigabit to SATA RAID1 soon to be expanded to RAID1) I like to confirm the safe copy before deleting original. It does take about 5min for a two hour 6.5GBish file copy. Would be longer if not for 1GB net, runs about 20% load during copy. (While from the RAID1 to RAID5 other direction 25% load so faster writing the 7 disk RAID5 than RAID1, exact same 250GB WD SATA drives.) I also don't use SageServer for anything other than core Sage Server work and main storage. Like to keep it stable.