SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Sage Expert

So what is sage media center?

Well it is the 6th, when are we going to see some more news?

It does look like divx is doing something big though with the sage press release yesterday and this one from amd http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...~93246,00.html
Old 01-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I was expecting there to be a big annoucement on the forums here today with detail & stuff, but so far, a no-show :P. Now I can understand that the guys are busy at the show this AM, but they should have had that ready to go out before now .

COME-ON, throw us a bone here .
Old 01-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Dan said he would post details AFTER the announcement at CES. Not all announcements are made at 8am, many times at events announcements are made when it is most advantagous, ie press attention. Be patient as the world turns. It will happen. And remember everything at CES on is on Las Vegas time zone....
Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Sage Icon

But I'll be on the road when they release the info heading to Atlanta, dang it. I wanna know what it is gonna be NOW
Old 01-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Sage Icon

PM me your cell phone number and I'll read you the press release when posted.

Carlo
Old 01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Announcement is out... Linux version and their own kind of Media MVP.

They don't say if the Linux version will be both client and server or just client.
I am reading into the announcement that it is both.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 AM

I am wondering if they did their own MVP plug-in or are using Matt's. At least you get official support and maybe the client license included with the hardware.

I wish they would post images of the new UI changes.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

So has anyone played with video playback with Linux? Better, worse, different? Do you have the same choice of decoders?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

From the announcement...

Consumer products available at www.sagetv.com include SageTV Media Center software for Windows ($79.95); SageTV Client for Windows, an add-on that allows live and/or recorded media to be streamed to any PC on the home network ($29.95 per PC); and SageTV Media Extender, an adapter that allows the software to be accessed on any TV in the house ($99 per TV).

I wonder how long until the store is updated so you can order the Media Extender?

Any thoughts on STV capability on the extenders? I can't live without my comskip...
Old 01-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude

I wish they would post images of the new UI changes.

What you mean you did not have a hand in it??

I am wondering if the 2.2 beta may see life as 3.0 now.. Also wondering what video capture cards the linux version will support, and how they dealt with DVD under linux....

DAN More details. Please... This was a tickler, and I am tickled.. More more...

When can I download 3.0? When Can I download Linux beta? I am a linux nut. Only re-introduced windows into my house to run Sage.

Can I flash my MediaMVP to become a Sage Media Extender? Will pay an upgrade fee.. Or is it really new/different technology, Will it support AVI/MPEG4 files (unlike the current MVP Sage addin?) When can I buy it?

Can I buy some stock in Fry?

DETAILS.. (please...)

Last edited by edbmdave; 01-06-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

It would be great to see a preliminary datasheet or list of specs on the media extender. I was a little confused about the 10-foot limit listed in the announcement. Thoughts?

In addition, I'm wondering about the Linux announcement. I wonder if it is both server side and client and how that will affect future releases.

Finally the divx announcement and the impact on PVR250 users. I'm sure they will continue to support MPEG4 but my guess is the clients will stream DIVX. I wonder how that will be handled, the conversion between MPEG4 and DIVX.

Looks exciting, I'm kind of glad I didn't buy a media MPV.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoBen
It would be great to see a preliminary datasheet or list of specs on the media extender. I was a little confused about the 10-foot limit listed in the announcement. Thoughts?
"10 foot display" is used to describe the easy to navigate user interface. You can operate it with a remote from 10 ft. I have seen the same terminology for J. River theater view and Windows media center.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

It also sound like Studio is coming with 3.0..

"This edition includes a powerful customization and development environment that enables OEMs to create a wide variety of custom-branded media center, set-top, and broadband video on demand products at attractive price points"

I hope it isn't only available to OEMs....
Old 01-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbmdave
When Can I download Linux beta? I am a linux nut. Only re-introduced windows into my house to run Sage.
It looks like the Linux version will be OEM-only (from what I can see from the press-release).

Also, it appears as though the Linux version will include Studio....

Andy.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Personally, the linux release is not that exciting. I love the idea of linux but have had little luck understanding and using it. I tried freevo prior to sage and got frustrated with learning linux.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Us old Unix gearheads have a hard time giving up control to Microsoft... I hate bloatware, and I know how to make unix sing, without bloat.... A beautiful thing. One of the reasons I think a lot of IT solutions are focusing on using enbedded linux (Cell phones, GPS systems, Tevo, Car manufacters, etc, etc, etc,) built it to do one thing really well, not to do everything "ok".

Last edited by edbmdave; 01-06-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

uh the issue is OEM only
Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

I wish they would talk more about the 3.0 software. Any HD support, any studiio. What gives. Where is the technical sheet for the software to see all of the new capabilities. Are we going to need to wait for 3.0 until early 2005!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I hear you on the linux stuff. My problem was it takes a lot to understand it. You literally have to jump through flaming hops to do basic tasks.

As far as datasheets and what not. I'm guessing they don't exist. I'm also guessing the 3.0 software specs don't yet either. However, I'm hoping someone on this forum is at CES and has a digital camera and they will shoot some pictures of the hardware if its there and running. Maybe some screenshots if possible.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

I read the press release to mean that the Linux version and Studio will be OEM only.

Even though the Windows version is still in the lineup, I'm guessing that they are shifting their market to companies such as Scientific Atlanta and Motorola (cable/sat box manufacturers) and leaving the home users like us behind. Lot more money if a company like Motorola were to license Sage for the cable boxes they sell only to cable companies.

Looks like we may never get the customization with Studio we have been waiting so long for. I'm now wondering if this 3.0 announcement is a good thing after all.

Last edited by sleonard; 01-06-2005 at 10:52 AM.