SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to dspreadbury Send a message via AIM to dspreadbury Send a message via MSN to dspreadbury Send a message via Yahoo to dspreadbury
Buy SageTV 2.x now, pay for SageTV 3.x? Will there be a Windows version?

Hi folks,

I just today downloaded and installed SageTV 2.10 and came back to the site to see all this talk of SageTV 3. My question is simple: if I purchase a license key for SageTV 2.x now, will I be eligible to receive a free upgrade to SageTV 3.x?

Apologies if this question has been answered already: I scanned down the list of threads looking for an answer but couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance,
-Daniel
Old 01-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

The only word from Frey that I know of on the subject is here. Towards the bottom, it says:

Quote:
What is the upgrade policy for all SageTV applications?
We will do our best to provide upgrades at no additional cost to our current customers.
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

AFIAK, at this point in time there has been no word that there even is (or ever will be) a v3.0 for the Windows platform. I'm really a bit disappointed with the few people that did go to CES since they have not post any usefull information at all. Almost as if Frey is still trying to keep things under cover and told them not to say anything.

All we have is a handfull of pics showing what we already knew from the beginning... that is, Frey has a version of SageTV running under Linux. For the most part, everything is geared or aimed at OEM's.

There has been no word at all as for what else might be coming for Windows users.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to dspreadbury Send a message via AIM to dspreadbury Send a message via MSN to dspreadbury Send a message via Yahoo to dspreadbury
Then in that case I suppose I'll have no choice but to go ahead and purchase my license in the next couple of weeks and hope for the best. Perhaps by the time my trial period is due to end, there will have been some more word from Frey about what us mere Windows users can expect.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Sage Icon

You could attempt to email them and ask them point blank. Man wouldnt it suck if you had to pay for 3.0 if you just purchased 2.0 weeks before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspreadbury
Then in that case I suppose I'll have no choice but to go ahead and purchase my license in the next couple of weeks and hope for the best. Perhaps by the time my trial period is due to end, there will have been some more word from Frey about what us mere Windows users can expect.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls
AFIAK, at this point in time there has been no word that there even is (or ever will be) a v3.0 for the Windows platform.
"ever will be"?? Right -- strange that the Linux Announcement for v3 talks about its continued availability for Windows.

dspreadbury: Frey has not indicated any change in the current policy, but I'll ask if they can clarify that so people don't have to wonder.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls
AFIAK, at this point in time there has been no word that there even is (or ever will be) a v3.0 for the Windows platform.
I just have to revisit this one... I think I commented somewhere else, but newer users may not want to slog through a long thread... The move to having a Linux version does not mean it is a _replacement_ for the Windows version; it is an _addition_ to the product line. What would be point of dropping the existing product? What was shown at CES was a linux server with a Windows client AND an extender/MVP client. That means you can mix & match systems -- you don't have to have an ALL Windows or ALL Linux multi-system setup. All these devices use the exact same STV file, so the interface is the same on each & there is no user re-education involved when moving from one system to the other.

I'm sure there will be certain things specific to each system -- after all, how would you use DirectX's VMR9 on Linux? (Ok, so if there really _is_ a way to do that, then pick somethign else taht is system specific. ) But, in terms of using SageTV, as opposed to configuration items like this, the interface is the same.

- Andy
Old 01-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

BTW, I wasn't trying to get everyone all shook up with my previous post. All I was trying to do is point out that based on the (lack of) information posted here from those that went to CES we simply do not know what plans or direction Frey may be headed with things for Windows users.

I didn't mean to imply that there actually never will be a v3.0. There may, or may not be, we really don't know yet. There could be versions 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 etc. yet along the way for Windows.

As for SageTV running under Linux, while I like that it really isn't anything new. Dan had mentioned a long time ago back at v1.4 that they had a version running under Linux. So, having a demo at CES doing so this year was not really anything to be suprised about.

For anything else, we'll simply have to wait until they do post some type of official announcement of what is coming for Windows users.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspreadbury
My question is simple: if I purchase a license key for SageTV 2.x now, will I be eligible to receive a free upgrade to SageTV 3.x?
As I said above, Frey's policy has been free upgrades when new versions come out, but I asked about this for v3 just to make sure nothing has changed. The response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kardatzke (via email)
Version 3 will be a free upgrade for all current customers.
That's what I expected & hopefully this will end that speculation.

- Andy
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

This is good to hear. I must admit that I have been less than optimistic about the last few months or so. This kind of response is definately helpful (for me at least) to reinstate the warm fuzzy that I once had

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Update:
As I said above, Frey's policy has been free upgrades when new versions come out, but I asked about this for v3 just to make sure nothing has changed. The response:

That's what I expected & hopefully this will end that speculation.

- Andy

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Sage User

Andy, thanks for bringing the good word down from up on the mountain! As it happens, I've already purchased my license for SageTV 2.1 and I'm raring to go.