SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
Arrow Xcard plugin (alpha 0.0.8 - Jan 16)

Hey, I've got an alpha release Xcard plugin for anyone that is interested in doing early testing. I've had some private testers banging on this for a while and so far it has fared pretty well. There is still a lot of work to be done but I think enough is functional for some testing. Unpack the attached zip in the SageTV directory.

You will need to modify the appropriate plugin lines in the properties file while Sage is not running:

media_player_plugin_class=org.sagecommunity.xcard.XCardMediaPlayer
osd_rendering_plugin_class=org.sagecommunity.xcard.XCardOSDPlugin

Furthermore, if you need to deviate from the default outputs you will want to include the following properties (defaults as shown):

Code:

xcard/stream_all_mpegs=true
xcard/verbose_log=false
xcard/scale_osd=false
xcard/audio=STEREO # STEREO or SPDIF
xcard/connector=COMPOSITE # COMPOSITE, YUV, RGB, or SCART
xcard/output=TV # TV, VGA, or HDTV
xcard/standard=USETV # NTSC, PAL, PAL60, PALM, USETV
xcard/hdmode=0 # mode numbers from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sigma Designs\REALmagic\xx\HDTV
xcard/vgamode=0 # mode numbers from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sigma Designs\REALmagic\xx\Progressive
xcard/aspect=LETTER_BOX 
# ASIS : 4:3 -> 4:3 and 16:9 -> 16:9
# PAN_SCAN : 4:3 -> 4:3 and 16:9 -> 4:3 pan & scan
# LETTER_BOX : 4:3 -> 4:3 and 16:9 -> 4:3 letter box
# WIDE : 4:3 -> 16:9 "letter box" and 16:9 -> 16:9
ALSO: I've also included STVs/OriginalV2/BackgroundPlain.jpg in the package. Since the OSD is limited to 256 colors, a lot of processing time is dedicated to quantizing (reducing the number of colors) the OSD image. By using a single color background you make its work easier and the plugin will run faster. Maybe someone will come up with a background that has only a few colors and looks good on the XCard OSD? Be aware that the OSD will be fairly sluggish on slow machines. Reducing the color palette isn't easy. However, I have some future optimizations in mind that will improve performance (probably at the expense of quality).

KNOWN BUGS:
  • Some functionality is missing.
  • My dithering algorithm could use some work.
RELEASES:

Alpha 0.0.8
  • Fixed end of file bug (worked around anyway).
  • Fixed cc settings synchronization bug (showed up when skipping around and other times).
  • Fixed problem with deleting most recently watched show.
  • Added always_stream_mpegs property. This uses an alternate stragegy for building your playback graph. For non-live shows, instead of using the SageTV file source filter which allows timeshifting and streaming from the server, this uses the default file source and demux for mpegs. In order to use this, you must either be using UNC file paths for your recordings or have the drive mounted the same on your clients as on your server (the same deal as comskip files, etc).
  • Added verbose_log property. Now, by default, the xcard_log files should be much smaller unless this property is set to true. Frequently called log statements with less dignostic merit now depend on the value of this field.

Alpha 0.0.7
  • Scaling the OSD is no longer the default. Instead, you should probably use osd_rendering_height_ntsc and osd_rendering_width. If for some reason this doesn't work well for you (my ability to test this is limited) you can set xcard/scale_osd=true to go back to the previous behavior.
  • Memory leak fixed. Major memory leak.
  • VERY experimental testing with "play faster" and "play slower". I was going to pull it out because it is in a very raw state but I don't think it can hurt you, either, so play with it if you want.
  • Various minor tweaks.
Alpha 0.0.5
  • Gee, Tom, when you update code you should really include all of it in the package. *sigh* I forgot to update the java classes in 0.0.4. This update is highly recommended.
Alpha 0.0.4
  • Fixed synchronization bug that caused intermitent lock ups
  • Changed log file to include pid in file name so that it is not over-written each time
  • Fixed bug with video placement that sometimes caused the video (particularly when played as a window within the guid) to be misplaced.
  • Added code to scale OSD and video output to current display dimensions (this may cause widescreen resolutions to have a stretched look... please give me any ideas on how this would be best presented)
Alpha 0.0.3
  • Fixed problem with server (no hostname) usage
  • Added HDTV mode selection from properties
  • Added VGA mode selection from properties
  • Added preferred aspect ratio setting
  • Turned on a bit more compiler optimization
Alpha 0.0.2
  • Fixed problem with client connections.
  • Very minor logging additions.
Alpha 0.0.1
  • Initial release
  • No support for DVD media player
  • Supports only MPEG files
  • HDTV, component output not tested (don't have HDTV )
  • None of the PAL?? standards tested
  • Nonsensical output modes not caught (HDTV/COMPOSITE, TV/YUV, etc)
  • Changing channels in LiveTV seems very slow. Not sure why.
  • Color quantization/dithering could still use some work.
  • S/PDIF not tested.
  • Not tested with Netstream cards (only have broken ns2000)
Let me know what else you find wrong with it. I'd REALLY like some feedback on whether or not HDTV modes are working, PAL?? standards, and S/PDIF.

WARNING: I do not have, nor have I made provisions for, TVs that experience burn in. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

t
Attached Files
File Type: zip xcard-0.0.8.zip (91.9 KB, 1453 views)

Last edited by ErsatzTom; 01-16-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Tom,

Looks great!

Two questions:

1. Aspect ratio - is this the aspect ration of the Output Device?

2. Does this add better support for DVD playback in SageTV?

John
Old 01-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Administrator

This ought to make some people quite happy!

For anyone with an Xcard... this has been quite stable for me, but there are a few caveats/things to consider...

I think it is best to run it as a client, or at least as the client that goes with the service mode. That way, if you do happen to have a problem, it should only affect the UI, while the service continues to record.

Also, since SageTV can't play DVDs on the Xcard (yet?), you have to close the client if you want to use another program for Xcard DVD playback -- just like the PVR-350's TV-out UI, the Xcard UI continues to be viewable on the TV even while SageTV is sleeping. I like being able to let SageTV sleep in the system tray while viewing everything on the TV. If you control SageTV via event messages, you can use SageTV perfectly well while it is minimized to its icon.

Don't forget to go to Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Multimedia -> Overscan Settings -> Adjust. I had to adjust my UI overscan down quite a bit to see it all on the TV.

There is a small delay (0.5 second or less?) between entering a command & _seeing_ the UI result on the screen. This is due to the OSD plugin nature & reducing to 256 colors, as far as I know. This is only a UI delay -- the playback commands seem as repsonsive as ever. It is kind of funny -- the UI conversion process has to use cpu time to get its job done, but playback continues to use practically 0 cpu time.

I think there is still a known issue where you cannot delete a show that is currently being watched. [Edit: This has been fixed.]

I hope no one takes these comments to be negative; they were just to let people know of a few things to keep in mind! I have been running this constantly recently w/o any major problems.

- Andy

- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks Andy,

That answers question 2. So it sounds like the Decoder properties are still being set to xcard so it is not like the mediamvp where the plugin is taking full control of the playback functions too.

John
Old 01-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
This has also been rock solid for me.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Sage Expert

As far as DVD playback goes, it is definitely on the list, near the top. Since I haven't yet even started working on the DVD code, I don't know yet if I'll run into a roadblock that totally prevents support. On the other hand, I don't see any reason why I should have a problem supporting it.

The current problems that I'm working around with the aspect ratio have to do with what Sage is passing me, not the Xcard. You should be able to control the aspect ratio of the display through the properties supplied in the first post. However, the OSD is passed to the plugin as images which continue to be 4:3 regardless of what the displays aspect ratio (currently, at least). I'm totally open to suggestions on how to better support this. I don't want to spend too much time on this because I know it is going to be fixed, but I'm thinking I might make a property that allows you to control how differences in the display aspect ratio and the OSD are handled.

t
Old 01-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Sage Icon

This has been pretty solid for me also running in 4:3.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErsatzTom
Hey, I've got an alpha release Xcard plugin for anyone that is interested in doing early testing. I've had some private testers banging on this for a while and so far it has fared pretty well. There is still a lot of work to be done but I think enough is functional for some testing. Unpack the attached zip in the SageTV directory.
Tom ~

Great job! I'm very impressed that you've come even this far. Once you have successfully intergrated dvd output, I will be purchasing an xcard for use in my living room.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 01-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutaw
Tom ~

Great job! I'm very impressed that you've come even this far. Once you have successfully intergrated dvd output, I will be purchasing an xcard for use in my living room.
Thanks! I think I'll be starting in on that soon.

t
Old 01-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Sage Expert

Tom:

Wow. I don't know whether to cry or laugh. Guess I'll do both.

Thank you times 100.

DFA
Old 01-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Sage Expert

You're most welcome.

t
Old 01-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Tom,

Does this pluggin require direct access to the video files to play them back? I am using it on my client and it had some problems with livetv and I realized that I had all but one drive mapped from my server and I am guessing it was creating the new file on that drive since it is new and the biggest.

John
Old 01-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

sweet, can't wait to try it!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Wow.. from being one of the poor saps with an x-card to one of the lucky chaps who has an x-card.. overnight!!!

Thanks Tom!!!!!! You saved me a bundle!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
Does this pluggin require direct access to the video files to play them back? I am using it on my client and it had some problems with livetv and I realized that I had all but one drive mapped from my server and I am guessing it was creating the new file on that drive since it is new and the biggest.
It shouldn't. I'm using the same file source that SageTV does. I'll test it out. Frankly, since so many add-ons require direct access I'll have to deliberately test it. Actually, I thought that I had tested it. Do you have a copy of the xcard_log file that was created?

t
Old 01-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
Wow.. from being one of the poor saps with an x-card to one of the lucky chaps who has an x-card.. overnight!!!

Thanks Tom!!!!!! You saved me a bundle!

t
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Sage Expert

New version posted. This is really what 0.0.4 was supposed to be but I forgot to update the java classes when I built the zip file. THIS UPDATE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The new java classes resolve some race conditions that can lead to crashes and lockups.

t
Old 01-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Sage Expert

Here's the params as I've put them:

xcard/aspect=WIDE
xcard/audio=STEREO \# STEREO or SPDIF
xcard/connector=YUV \# COMPOSITE, YUV, RGB, or SCART
xcard/hdmode=2 \# mode numbers from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareSigma DesignsREALmagicxxHDTV
xcard/output=VGA \# TV, VGA, or HDTV
xcard/standard=NTSC \# NTSC, PAL, PAL60, PALM, USETV
xcard/vgamode=7 \# mode numbers from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareSigma DesignsREALmagicxxProgressive

Nothing out the VGA port yet though. Cockpit error?

Display = DLP-RPTV, 720 x 1280, 60 Hz. Sigma connected via VGA cable, other HTPC viewing by DVI.

Oops, do I need to strip the comments? Sage put in the backslashes since I copied the params from the Sage.Properties file.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 01-10-2005 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:54 AM
Sage Expert

Well, you certainly don't NEED the comments in there and you don't want the backslashes in the config file but other than that the comments are harmless. xcard/connector and xcard/hdmode can/probably should be left to the default since they only apply to any tv out and component out respectively. If you just delete them from your config file they should show back up with the defaults.

However, having said all that, I would have thought the above would work. Can you make the changes above, try again and, assuming it fails again, upload the most recent xcard_log_####.txt file.

t
Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErsatzTom
It shouldn't. I'm using the same file source that SageTV does. I'll test it out. Frankly, since so many add-ons require direct access I'll have to deliberately test it. Actually, I thought that I had tested it. Do you have a copy of the xcard_log file that was created?

t
Tom,

I took a look at the XCard log after I added the missing drive and it is actually using the Server path ( G:\<Video Name> ). So when using this on a client I need to have g: as mapped drive.

John