SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Did anyone record "Medium" - bug caused Sage to delete it

Did anyone else record the new show "Medium" on Thursday. I believe there's a bug in Sage that caused Sage to delete it. If you recorded it, check if it's still there. I already submitted a bug report. Following is the bug report that I sent in if you want to understand what the problem is.

----------
bug report
----------

I'm using Sage 2.0.20.

When the EPG data changes for a recording after it's been recorded, Sage deletes the recording.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about. Let's say I set a manual recording of "Seinfeld" to take place in a week. By the time the recording is set to take place, the "The Simpsons" is set to air in its place. Sage will now record "The Simpsons" since it occupied Seinfeld's slot in the schedule. That's the way it should work and I've never had any problem with that. That's happened many times and the new show always is recorded.

The problem comes when the EPG data is updated for a recording that's already aired. Here's a real example that just happened to me. There's a new show called "Medium" on. The pilot episode was on Tuesday. Another episode was scheduled for Thursday. They decided at the last minute to re-air the pilot on Thursday instead without enough time for the EPG data to be updated from the listings provider, so the episode description was incorrect in Sage for Thursday's airing. I set a manual record to record the show on Thursday. It recorded correctly, but with the incorrect EPG episode data, for the second episode, instead of the pilot . A day or two later, the show had disappeared.

Here is what I think happened. The EPG data is being updated for the show after the show aired. When the EPG data changes for an old show, it is deleted by Sage. This has happened to me a 2 or 3 other times in the last 6 months with older versions of Sage also. Each time, it was a manual recording that was deleted. One time, a news special replaced another show, another time, the guests on a talk show changed, etc.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I recorded "Medium", and while Sage didn't delete the show, the next day I lost the show for a while. I found it later in my recordings list simply as an un-named recording. It had no show data at all, but still appeared in the list. When I selected it to see what it was it turned out to be Medium. However, It only appears on my client using the SageMCE STV, not on my server with the stock STV, if that helps. But there's a chance it's still on your hard drive somewhere.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Sage User

The same Here found it in recordings under the number 1 marked as a IR recording,same over christmas with another recording (Blamed the wife for deleting it ) running 2.1 with cayars 16 STV if that helps
Old 01-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

I also had this problem. It is nowhere on the hard drive as I did a complete search for medium. After the wife watched it she said it was gone. I thought she deleted it too...

Weird that this happened to several people on the same show?

I am also using 2.1 with Cayar's STV16
Old 01-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Sage Icon

OK I'm guessing this is what happened:
Medium was supposed to be a new episode on Thursday. It turned out to be a re-airing of the pilot episode (NBC must have changed their mind when they realized they had a hit on their hands). The next day the EPG got updated and showed that the episode wasn't what it was. When this happens the file should still exist but in Sage will show up as a recording with no name or description. You can probably find it if you look hard enough but it wasn't a new episode anyway. I think the second episode that was supposed to air on last Thursday will now air tonight at 10PM EST.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I believe this problem was partly due to an error in Sage and partly due to wrong EPG data from Zap2it. The pilot episode for "Medium" aired TWICE last week, but the second (pilot) airing actually had the data for the SECOND episode. So when the real second episode airs tonite, Sage probably will think this is a re-run and will not record it automatically.

I (fortunately) noticed this problem on Saturday and manually scheduled a recording of "Medium" for tonite, since Sage told me it was NOT going to record tonite's real second episode.

Will have to see what happens to tonite's recording.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the tip had to set mine to manually record it too
Old 01-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Sage Icon

This is not the case for me. My wife started watching it, hit stop near the end. When I got home it was "GONE"...

It is definitely not on my system. I checked all mpg files with the creation date as a search criteria. Opened all files found in search to make sure they are what they said they were. Medium was deleted somehow. Auto delete is set to "No"
Old 01-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Sage Icon

Auto delete is set to "No" where? In the Medium favorite settings? If so then it wouldn't apply since the EPG change would have made the show a non favorite. I'm also guessing that when this happens it goes to the top of the list of files to delete to make room for new shows when space is needed (just a guess).
Old 01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

dvd_maniac: Try this. I can't guarantee that this will work, but it has worked for me several times in the past.

Go to the guide and go BACK to the time when "Medium" was recorded. If you see a white square around the show name, click on it and it will play (as long as it was not deleted).

It has happened a couple times for me when a specific episode did not show up for me in the recorded shows list ... but using this "old guide technique" I was able to play the correct file everytime.

Oh, and FWIW, I have the Sage property seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off set to FALSE.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Mine was a manual recording on thursday, the recording was there but no name or data.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Sage Icon

I have over 400GB of free space on my recording drive. So I do not think it was deleted because of that. I did actually think at first my wife deleted it by accident. She has been using the system for a while with no screw ups however. So I was like 50-50 that she did. Then when seeing others having "Some" problem with medium, well I just don't know...
Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I recorded both episodes as well and when I reviewed the 2nd recording it was the same as the original show. Yesterday, when I was searching through the recordings the 2nd one had been deleted. I think ToxMox explained what happened in his above post when the EPG data was updated. I liked the show too.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Sage Icon

which one was the pilot? I had scheduled sage to record it last thursday also, and its the one where she went to texas to aid a deputy there solve a crime, was that the pilot? I thought it was the second episode.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
which one was the pilot? I had scheduled sage to record it last thursday also, and its the one where she went to texas to aid a deputy there solve a crime, was that the pilot? I thought it was the second episode.
That was the pilot.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Sage Icon

I just noticed in my recording schedule for tonight's 2nd episode was marked watched. So I had to set to manually record. So apparently, the guide data didn't update the last minute changes by the TV network, therefore the pilot that aired again last thursday was still marked as the 2nd episode. I guess somehow you have to be aware of these changes in the guide and make the adjustments before the show airs. However, I do think SageTV should have more options to let us control how it manages recording options and deletions.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I also marked "Medium" as a Favorite before the original airing the previous Monday. I had the case where last Thursday's episode was recorded but it had no name or info. It was a blank entry in my Recorded Shows. Last night's episode recorded just fine without me doing a thing.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
NBC must have changed their mind when they realized they had a hit on their hands
All they had to do was take a look at the star of the show... doing so would have told them what kind of hit they have on their hands!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
All they had to do was take a look at the star of the show... doing so would have told them what kind of hit they have on their hands!
I think this show will do well for the first couple of seasons, but will slowly get worse as writers run out of good ideas for story. And they'll make up some off the wall stuffs just to keep people interested, but interested only for a short period of time. Hope I'm wrong on this because I like the show.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
I think this show will do well for the first couple of seasons, but will slowly get worse as writers run out of good ideas for story. And they'll make up some off the wall stuffs just to keep people interested, but interested only for a short period of time. Hope I'm wrong on this because I like the show.
I thought this show was (at least partially) based on true events