SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Upgrade to 2.1 from 2.0.1?

Is there any reason for me to upgrade to any of the newer version is my current one is working well? The only problem I have is that it locks up when fast forwarding sometimes. Other then that it works very well. I only want to upgrade if it is going to be stable or add a lot of funcitions. Since my current versions works well, I don't want to change it. Also, if I do upgrade, is there any good way to backup everything? Thanks...
Old 01-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigfink
Is there any reason for me to upgrade to any of the newer version is my current one is working well? The only problem I have is that it locks up when fast forwarding sometimes. Other then that it works very well. I only want to upgrade if it is going to be stable or add a lot of funcitions. Since my current versions works well, I don't want to change it. Also, if I do upgrade, is there any good way to backup everything? Thanks...
I have exactly the same problem. I haven't had time to look into it, but the only problem I have is locking up when fast fowarding.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

that's the decision i had to make also as to whether to stay with sagetv 2.0.19 or to "upgrade." i did try upgrading to 2.1 to see if it worked but had picture problems when going from fullscreen to a menu where the menu had a Picture-In-Picture inserted in the upper right part of the menu -- the problem was the PIP would not resize the TV video picture but would only display the upper right corner of the TV video picture in the PIP inserted area on the menu and i would have to bounce back to fullscreen and then back to the menu to get the PIP to display properly. so because of that issue, i'm sticking with 2.0.19 for now. i'm sure others would have other reasons, but one of the reasons that i saw for moving to 2.1 or even to that beta 2.2.x is if you want to use any of the newer versions of any of the customizations. i've been happily using the nielm customization with 2.0.19 and i have the menu.xml tweaked to further customize the menu selections, the background display, and also to add some external commands. so i don't have a real practical need to upgrade. of course, there is the desire to want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. if you're a typical PC user who is compulsive and addicted to always having the latest with the need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, then that may be a good enough reason. but after various failures with other different tv software, i'm not as compulsive although i may be tempted to eventually try particularly if the new version has a new feature worth considering or if the new version fixes something. the new version has to work at least as good without any problems as the version that i'm currently using in order for the new version to be a keeper. as for backing up, this is what i do to backup my sagetv files:

1. set a System Restore point (assuming you have WinXP) before you install any new version of SageTV
2. backup everything in your SageTV directory to a different directory

i'm sure other people do pretty much the same thing. bare minimum seems to be to backup the sage.properties, sage.properties.autobackup, wiz.bin. but i personally like to backup everything in the directory including subdirectories anyways. i found this to work for me like whenever i try an upgrade and then later want to go back. or if something like a really bad system crash causing the sage.properties to get screwed up -- that happened to me once and i was glad to have the backup. i would just do a system restore and copy over the files and it's all working again.

ruel

Last edited by ruel; 01-17-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

The big thing for me was the fact that 2.1 can run as a service. A lot less trouble when something happens and I have to reboot the server. A power outage in the middle of the afternoon would mean trouble if my gf got home before me.

Then there is the web interface that I wanted but mostly as a geek factor.

Just backup the frey directory and reinstall. And keep the new hauppauge tuning dll close...

Gog