SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Crisis in the Burbs: Sage deleted '24' tonight immediately after finished recording!

Well, Sage just let me down big time. I was planning on watching 24 tonight, but something came up. Of course I've got it set as a favorite, so no big deal right?

So I get back about a half hour into the show and there's an error message on the screen (sorry, can't remember exactly what it said, but it was something to do with "playback" failing, which I found odd since I wasn't playing back anything, just recording.) Anyway, after I close the error, I still see the little recording icon and a quick check of the video directory shows the file is there and growing by the second. So all looks good.

I go to the client box to watch it, and get the all too familiar "Failed to connect to SageTV Server..." message. I finally decide I don't want to mess anything up so I wait until the show is over, thinking that even if the Client still can't connect I'll just watch it using zoom player. At 9:59 I check the video directory, and the file is there and just a hair under 2GB, which is about right. Now the bad part. At 10:00, the show is over, but sage deleted the file! It's just gone, what the heck?

Any ideas what's going on? Anyone know if this show might be in some temp trashcan directory from which it can be retrieved? Help!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Administrator

It might delete it if it thought the file was corrupted or incomplete in some way. It might delete it if the Fav was somehow removed. W/o knowing more details of what was going on, it is hard to say what happened.

As for the deleted file, I just posted a link to this thread elsewhere -- it contains a link to an deleted file recovery utility.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Dude I feel your pain. Love 24, and the real bad news..... They're airing this season without repeats so you your outta luck on retaping it. Man I'd be hitting my machince with hammer right about now.

Edit: just tried out that program on the previous reply and, man that thing found stuff I recorded Months ago, and fast! So try it out. Good Luck.... I really hope you didn't beat it with a hammer now that this thing might help you

Last edited by phantomfsoc; 01-17-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
SageTVaholic

you can pm me for additional help
Old 01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Excellent link, Opus! Downloaded the program, and in a matter of seconds found my deleted episode, still 1.89GB and showed a "good" probability of recovery. Ran the utility and about 5 minutes later, I have what seems like a perfectly good copy of the show back. Man, I owe you big time. This program needs to be listed in a sticky somewhere.

So what are the chances that I can copy it back to the original location and have Sage show it again and fill back in the show info?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubblwump
Excellent link, Opus! Downloaded the program, and in a matter of seconds found my deleted episode, still 1.89GB and showed a "good" probability of recovery. Ran the utility and about 5 minutes later, I have what seems like a perfectly good copy of the show back. Man, I owe you big time. This program needs to be listed in a sticky somewhere.
Glad it worked (and glad SHS posted it). I added it to the list of Utilities for use with SageTV.

Quote:
So what are the chances that I can copy it back to the original location and have Sage show it again and fill back in the show info?
If you are using the latest beta and the file is named the same as it was before... there is a possibility, as long as the show info is still in wiz.bin.

On the other hand, especially if using an older version, it may get deleted again, depending on why it was deleted in the first place. For older versions, I always made sure to set this property:

seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off=false

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Looks like my optimism was a bit premature. The file is there and the video looks fine, but there is no sound. I don't know if this was the reason for Sage delteting it, or if it lost it in the recovery process, but either way no sound.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Announcement: There are no "official" rules posted on the forum, but all posts offering to share recordings will be deleted, as that is not an activity that Frey wishes to encourage for legal reasons.

- Andy
Old 01-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

This concerns me

First when I get sage setup it will be fore recording only. I have no plans and likely never will have any plans to utilize it playback features in ANYWAY whatsoever so allo those things are irrelevant to me.

once sage it done recording something it is to have NOTHING to do with that file ever again. it should for all intents and purposes not exist to sage anymore

I will handle playback I will handle deleting

how do I make this a reality IE how do I make it so its IMPOSSIBLE for sage to EVER delete ANYTHING

when I record with WIntv2k and scheduler these programs have NO capacity to ever "delete" anything

how do I make sage work the same way IE NEVER ever even have the ability to delete anything ?

is there a setting for this ?

Thanks
Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old 01-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Have you looked at the manual at all yet, as I suggested in a post a while back? How/when files are deleted and which files are not deleted is covered in Appendix C. It tells you which types of recordings will never be deleted. For preventing having live TV files deleted, it lists the same property I mentioned just 3 posts above your question. I'll be deleting some of the repeat questions that you are posting to multiple threads.

- Andy
Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am sorry I just did not ask it clearly

I am aware I can SET it to delete under certain conditions but programs that are CAPABLE of deleteing whether you set them to or not can MALFUNCTION and delete anway.

I want to know if there is a way I can physically PREVENT sage from EVER deleting a file. period. under any conditions.

again example when wintv2k records something thats all it does it has NO functionality at all to delete stuff. I NEVER have to have any concern whatsoever that it might accidentally delete something since its NOT capable of it

Can I do this same thing with sage ? or is this a potential threat I will just have to learn to live with ?

I SAW what you mentioned

seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off=false

will this DISABLE sage tv's ability to EVER delete anything for any reason ?

Since I NEVER plan to ever "view" videos inside sage tv will I be safe from these concerns ?

I will be moving renaming deleting and copying these files as I see fit from inside windows never from within sage tv. is this going to annoy sage tv and cause problems ?

I will not be fully utilizing sage tv as its creators intended so these things tend not to be covered in manuals ie I am outside the scope of the manual on some of these things.

for me sage tv has one purpose. just record the shows nothing else. dont manage the files don;t mess with them dont move them copy them keep stats on them etc.. JUST record them and I will handle it from there.

it would really annoy me if some feature I never plan to use and therfore was unaware of decided oh I am going to delete these 10 files today :-) hehehe

the only reason I am even getting sage tv is STRICTLY for its multi tuner support and "favorites" I think sage calls it ie intelligent recording of first run shows etc... every other feature in sage is dead weight to me :-)

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/
Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Administrator

If everything is set to manual delete only and that property is set, then any deletions should be bugs, as far as I know.

- Andy