SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Client can't connect to server

I had to reinstall my Sage server this weekend and I can't get any of my clients to connect to it.

I have tried reinstalling and re-registering the clients....no go.
I have tried connecting by machine name and IP address....no go.

I can ping the sage server just fine, I can access its shares, etc.

Server is Windows XP SP2 as are the clients.
No software firewalls are enabled on any machines.

I have installed the SageTV service on the server, and it is running as ".\mediaservice". This account has been granted "Logon as a Service" privilege and has local workstation Administrator access.

I've restarted the service, tried connecting with the sage UI running on the server, in sleep mode, minimized, etc...

I've enabled and disabled the "Sage TV Server" option in the sage setup. Does this option even matter when running the service?

Any ideas where to start? Can I telnet to a specific port on the Sage Server to at least verify that the service is listening?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Nevermind...it works now....sorry folks.

Ends up the firewall WAS enabled on the server, and I'm irritated at what I think is very sloppy behavior on XP's part. I disabled the firewall (I HATE software firewalls) when I first applied SP2. However, somehow the firewall got re-enabled. I think this happened because I started logging on as a different user....I have a local machine admin that I use, and then once I join my domain, I switch to a domain admin to do the rest.

I'm willing to bet that the windows firewall gets re-enabled when you log on as another user....which I think is BS, because the firewall should be tied to the network interface, which is a machine setting, not a user setting.

All the more reason that there needs to be a "I'm a dumb-f**k, please enable every possible ridiculous option for me because I'm hopeless and will never learn any of this" version of XP... and a "I know what I'm doing and don't need you to do anything for me" version of XP.

I sure enjoyed computers a lot more when it was a hobbyist-only endeavor. Seems I spend the majority of my time hunting down things that happen due to all the idiot-proofing.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

Glad you figured it out. I read your first post and thought about it but had me stumped. And I totally agree about some of automatic crap XP throws on for you.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
Glad you figured it out. I read your first post and thought about it but had me stumped. And I totally agree about some of automatic crap XP throws on for you.
Yep...I've been sort of a Linux "interestee" for many years, and that's exactly why. It doesn't do anything for you...sometimes difficult and cryptic is a GOOD thing.

On a side note....mdmint....since you seem to be the mass storage guru around here, have you messed with Active Directory's DFS at all? I have a somewhat perplexing DFS problem and need to know if it's something I can work around or if it's "by design".
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleo
Yep...I've been sort of a Linux "interestee" for many years, and that's exactly why. It doesn't do anything for you...sometimes difficult and cryptic is a GOOD thing.

On a side note....mdmint....since you seem to be the mass storage guru around here, have you messed with Active Directory's DFS at all? I have a somewhat perplexing DFS problem and need to know if it's something I can work around or if it's "by design".
From a hardware perspective I do have many years experience but not nearly as much on the Back Office Admin side. I saw your Active Directory DFS thread but unfortunately have very little Active Directory hands on experience, sorry. I just use shares and unc paths on my home network. And only running WinXP Pro, no real Server OS installed at the moment.