SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Enabling Library share pegs Sage Server cpu

I've been attempting and failing to enable using the 500GB partition on my workstation set aside for Library use. Both Sage Server and workstation WinXP SP2. Server v2.1.10 no custom STV or addins.

From Server can map and access share fine. Normally I run Sage Server service mode but symptoms are the same whether service mode or non-service mode. Symptoms same whether share first mapped outside of Sage or not.

What happens: From Server launch SageTV.exe. Go into detailed setup and enter UNC for share. So far so good. Quickly back out of setup and view Library, sees the 100GB or so of files fine. (some Sage recorded movies) However, in under a minute the cpu will shoot to 100% and Sage freezes. Requires forced kill. Same symptom if running Sage service and open SageTV.exe or disabling service and running SageTV.exe. Verified all firewalls disabled, symtpom same with NAV enabled or disabled. (both Server and workstation) Also, while cpu pegged there is also constant network traffic between the two as seen by switch light activity. As soon as I kill Sage constant network activity between the two also stops. I've tried UNC path using both computer name and computer IP with same result, seems to work then quickly pegs cpu. Yet can access the share from Sage Server outside of Sage UI fine. After killing Sage and restarting can quickly go into detailed setup and remove share from Library and Sage is back to normal. Take to long and of course cpu pegs and Sage freezes. I've let the Server sit 5 or 10 minutes with cpu pegged after enabling Library share to no avail, just stays pegged. Been fighting this on and off for a few days. What am I missing?!?!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like you've got a corupt file in there.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Sounds like you've got a corupt file in there.
Just opened all 14 movies with WMP, both locally from workstation and from Sage Server, all opened and began playback fine. It was a thought though. FWIW, there is nothing else but those 14 recorded movies and the directory they are in occupying the new partition. (NTFS, 64k clusters)
Old 01-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

Try moving the files out to another directory. Then add them back in one at a time and see what happens.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
Try moving the files out to another directory. Then add them back in one at a time and see what happens.
Now that's a idea I haven't tried, adding the Library share to Sage empty.

I've heared/read a couple other strange things storage wise that may be v2.1.10 related. But v2.1.10 is running so well for me, except for this one issue, I'm loath to install the beta. But if adding empty Library doesn't work guess that's the next step. (Just more ghosting just in case!)
Old 01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
Now that's a idea I haven't tried, adding the Library share to Sage empty.
But won't be able to test the theory for almost an hour. It takes time to Move (not copy) 100G of files, even if on same logical drive. Another thread someone said Moves are almost instantaneous if on same drive, that's only true if same drive AND same partition.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Sage Icon

Just move them to another folder on the same partition.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Sage Icon

Not true, on XP you can move serveral hundred gig in a second or two. The files themselves aren't moved. Only the directory pointers are updated so it's very quick.

Now if you're talking about a copy operation then it's a whole nother story.

The easiest way to do this move is using windows explorer. Create a temp folder to hole the files. Then highlight all the files you want to move. Do a CUT operation, move to the temp folder and do a PASTE operation. A second or two later and you're done assuming the TEMP folder is one the same partition/drive.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Sage Icon

Carlo I don't think you read the last few words of his post where he said it only works if the move is on the same drive AND same partition.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

And the whole point of moving them is/was to get them off the partition to see if starting with an empty partition the share will then be usable by Sage v2.1.10. Moot point now they're moved off partition. Will test later.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Sage User

This seems similar to the problem i'm having... Have you enabled the console window debug mode? It might give you a hint. After reading this post, i'm begging to think i have one of these corrupted files... See my post http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=9701
Old 01-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Solved!

Shoot me now! I think I did it to myself. After I created the new 500GB partition and shared the root as "Library" for some reason I also shared the "TV" directory I'd created as "TV". Believe it was two different at the keyboard sessions forgetting what I'd already done. In Sage when I entered the unc path it therefore had both the root Share and directory Share to deal with and apparently got confused. Win explorer handles it fine, but doesn't seem to be the case for Sage. After deleting the TV directory, which deleted it's share, and recreating a new directory but not sharing it directly just via the root and pointing to the directory in the unc path, it's joined up with Sage fine. Moved one of the movies in, plays fine from a Client. Happy Camper!

Might also work to not share the root and just the directory, will test that later. Not sure which way would be better since will likely have multiple import directories on the partition. For now it's working and now off to watch some two seasons ago SG1 we missed before getting Sage.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Spoke toooooo soon and did something realllllly stupid!!! After Moving one movie into the Library Share directory successfully I highlighted all the other 13 recorded movies and proceeded to Move them all at once. Then we sat down to watch SG1. Everything was fine for about 45min and then playback on the main HTPC Client froze. Ah oh, went in and checked the Server and low and behold cpu pegged 100% SageTVService hammered. I knew the fix so stopped the service, disabled service, launched SageTV.exe and quickly went in and removed the Share. Restart the Service, restarted Client on HTPC and continued watching Client no problem.

Or SO I THOUGHT!!! This occurred alittle after 9pm. Stopping and restarted Sage Service of course killed any recordings in progress and was WHILE 24 & Vegas where recording!!! They did NOT resume and I didn't realize the BLUNDER until after 10 so couldn't even start a manual record of in progress. Now losing Vegas is one thing but 24 from 12 to 1PM is HISTORY. And I checked, no partial recordings in the Video directory. That sucks.

I know better but slipped. Never NEVER ever do anything on the Server during recording times unless it's been fully 110% tested.

I just had a thought of what might be causing it. One, and only one, of those 14 recorded movies I cut out the commericals via womble mpeg-vcr. Though it plays fine in WMP maybe Sage doesn't like it. I'll follow up on that lead.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Moving the files into the Library Share one at a time, refreshing Library then testing each, found indeed it was one particular recording it doesn't like, but it wasn't the one I cut the commericals. Every time I try to import it as soon as I hit refresh media library cpu skyrockets. Won't dump a bunch in at once again! Even if they were recorded by Sage like all these were.

And I'll never import to library again while recording.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:37 AM
SageTVaholic

you could also try using NTFILEMON from www.sysinternals.com when you import the library -- it monitors all file reads/writes so that you can see which file Sage is stuck on...
Old 01-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
you could also try using NTFILEMON from www.sysinternals.com when you import the library -- it monitors all file reads/writes so that you can see which file Sage is stuck on...
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out, already downloaded.