SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Sage Icon

Nah, I have the original and my own custom stv's running on the beta with no problem. The sagemc stv is the only one that wont let the pc sleep.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Sage Expert

Is the new forum working for you?

I'm not sure that the new forum (http://sage.welchkin.net/forums) is the best thing for the SageMC project. To be perfectly honest, I would much rather stay within the Sage forums to find out the latest with SageMC. I have given the forum a go since it started (for the benefit of the doubt) but its just not working for me. Why should SageMC be so different? The Sage forums work for all the other STV's.

For me it seems that this project is kind of stagnating which is a shame as I have SageMC running on both my main HTPC and my MVP and I would like to see it progress further.

I did post this on the sage.welchkin forum, but I wasn't sure anybody would see it.

Anybody having the same thoughts?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

I definately agree. SageMC feels orphaned from the rest of the Sage Community now. I hope it returns home, and we can continue to see it develop.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Bring it back
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

I would like to see it back here too. Like in the good ole days...
Old 03-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmgranger
I'm not sure that the new forum (http://sage.welchkin.net/forums) is the best thing for the SageMC project. To be perfectly honest, I would much rather stay within the Sage forums to find out the latest with SageMC. I have given the forum a go since it started (for the benefit of the doubt) but its just not working for me. Why should SageMC be so different? The Sage forums work for all the other STV's.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but honestly when it was here, I could never keep up with what was going on, and that's coming from someone who was trying to actively follow it. Having everything in one thread is a nightmare.

If the project is stagnating, it's has nothing to do with where the discussion about it is taking place. There are three or four new posts a day over there and I answer any questions that come up. Any stagnation has to do with my not having as much time to put into it as mlbdude did and certainly not as much as Cayars does with his. Secondly, it's due to the fact that Studio is a "different" kind of develeopment environment than I'm used to and it is taking a long time for me to become comfortable with it. If you're a Studio user and want to take over SageMC, by all means, send me a PM. I'll hand over responsibility for it with a smile on my face.

Right now I'm working on several enhancements but the amount of time that I can set aside out of my life to work on this isn't unlimited, so they won't be coming out tomorrow... or the next day:

- Comskip is a frequent request so I'm working on a way to implement it that doesn't relegate it to ONLY the power users.

- The channel setup, tuner setup, and parental control menus have now been converted to the SageMC format; this was done largely as an exercise for me to get to know Studio; the Detailed Setup menu will be done soon as well.

- A number of small misc fixes.

Anyway, as long as I'm the one who is answering questions and responding to requests, I'd prefer to do it in a format that lets me keep track of what's going on without spending hours deciphering a 500 post thread. As I mentioned above, if you'd like to adopt SageMC and revert to using these forums, please feel free. I'll send you whatever I have to help you along.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Sage Icon

Mmmmm... If we could only get PLAYBACK support for COMSKIP in there, I would use it.

The generation of the COMSKIP files is easily done outside of Sage, so I don't care if THAT part is in the STV.

I'll be looking forward to that (VERY MUCH!!).

JasonJoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watter
- Comskip is a frequent request so I'm working on a way to implement it that doesn't relegate it to ONLY the power users.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
The generation of the COMSKIP files is easily done outside of Sage, so I don't care if THAT part is in the STV.
Can you describe how you would do this, in an automated fashion, outside of Sage?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Sage Icon

Two ways come to mind.

1. You can do it in a script, and schedule the script. That is easy enough.
2. Or you could use Jere_Jones' new DirMon utility to monitor for new files and COMSKIP them as they are created. You can see that program in a post in the Customizations forum.

I would probably do option #1, that way I can control exactly when it runs (I don't record that much, so could easily do it only at night).

But Option #2 is exactly the type of processing that the DirMon program was made to do - completely independent of the STV being used.

JasonJoel
Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
1. You can do it in a script, and schedule the script. That is easy enough.
Wouldn't this require you to setup the process for each video file you wanted to run it against? That seems like manual labor from hell, or am I missing something?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

Couldn't you also just use one of the STV's that support commskipping on the server to generate the necessary files, then just have the clients support the playback? Or is that getting us into the whole UNC trouble thing?
JUC
Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Sage Icon

JUC brings up a good point. That would be option #3.

And, no, it would not be a manual process to do a script. You can have a conditional statement that if the comskip TXT file does not exist, then run COMSKIP on the file. If it does, go to the next file. Similar to how the script to delete orphaned files works as a matter of fact. It checks to see if the MPG file is there, if it is it moves on. If it isn't it deletes the orphaned files. No big deal.

I think there is a script posted in the COMSKIP thread that does exactly this (somewhere in the thread). If not, it would be easy enough to make one...

Jason

Quote:
Wouldn't this require you to setup the process for each video file you wanted to run it against? That seems like manual labor from hell, or am I missing something?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
Couldn't you also just use one of the STV's that support commskipping on the server to generate the necessary files, then just have the clients support the playback? Or is that getting us into the whole UNC trouble thing?
JUC
What if, like myself, you use SageTV service with no UI at all on the server machine? This is part of the whole issue I had with the current comskip implementations out there. They work well, but only under ideal conditions.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Sage Icon

Fair enough. In that case we would need a service version of Jere's DirMon utility... Wonder how receptive he would be to converting it to a service...

Jason

Quote:
What if, like myself, you use SageTV service with no UI at all on the server machine? This is part of the whole issue I had with the current comskip implementations out there. They work well, but only under ideal conditions.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
- The channel setup, tuner setup, and parental control menus have now been converted to the SageMC format; this was done largely as an exercise for me to get to know Studio; the Detailed Setup menu will be done soon as well.
Don't forget the My Games screen
Old 03-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am using dirmon It is easy always wanted to setup external comskip on a different machine. But couldn't get it to work. With dirmon I got it to work on a machine that doesn't even have any sage software on it. It even deletes orphan files couldn't be easier or better. Now all I need is for sagemc to support auto comskip playback.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Sage Icon

I didn't realize you can just run the service with no UI. I guess for those, running a custom STV would be problematic. I am assuming you are running it headless. I suppose you could just install a custom STV and that would solve the issue. Any reason for just running the service?
JUC
Old 03-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Comskip seemed to tax the server a little have a computer in the office running 24 7 (print server and general use)not being used that often why not unload some processing off the server works great. Comskip seems to work even better also marks the commercials more acurately.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:22 PM

I really want to use this STV, but am very used to the "back" button (i.e. left arrow), do i need to bind a key to "Home", or what?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

There is a function for "back" in sage, just bind a key to that.