SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Sage 1.4 puts WMA files into Video section

I added my WMA directory to Sage's list, but it puts these files in the Video section instead of the Music section. The ID tag also doesn't get read.

Will support for WMA tags be added in the future?

Lauren
Old 06-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Sage

What filename extension are these using? There's no current plans to support Windows Media because it doesn't work for networked playback. Microsoft uses a proprietary file reading technique that I'm sure they have no plans of publicizing.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
What filename extension are these using? There's no current plans to support Windows Media because it doesn't work for networked playback. Microsoft uses a proprietary file reading technique that I'm sure they have no plans of publicizing.
They're WMA files with the same extension (.WMA). If you add it to the Library extension list, it puts them in the Video section. Clicking on any of them causes Sage to report that "There was an error with DirectShow. Default Rending of output pin on source filter failed. ErrCode=0x-7ff8fff2"

It would be nice to play them even without the tags. Personally, I resisted WMA as opposed to MP3 because of Microsoft, but the files are much smaller and sound better at 96kbps VBR with the WMA than my MP3s did with 128kbps VBR. Not to mention the large amount of disk space saved.

Anyway, I just thought that using DirectShow would be possible to make it able to play (kind of like their MediaPlayer OCX used to - or probably still does).

Lauren
Old 07-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Sage

That's why .wma isn't on the list by default. You may have gotten better compression, but as you know, the price you pay is that Microsoft owns the intellectual property rights to the key that unlocks your content.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
That's why .wma isn't on the list by default. You may have gotten better compression, but as you know, the price you pay is that Microsoft owns the intellectual property rights to the key that unlocks your content.
Oh well...

I hate giving in to Microsoft, but you have to admit that the sound quality is really good with the small sizes.....

Lauren
Old 07-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Argh! And my WMAs were encoded without MS encryption but I'm still boned? Feh.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Jeff, my experience is that any file (other than the defaults) you try to import goes in the video section. I tried to import my Monkey's Audio collection (found a DS APE decoder) but the files showed up in the video area and I got a DS error about connecting the video when I tried to play them.