SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to SoundMan
Noob Question

So essentially if i have multiple tuners and I select multiple shows to record at the same time it will sort out the conflicts and record them to various tuners. But what happens if i say have 3 tuners and select 4 shows to record? does it have a hierarchy list like tivo does?

then to watch shows i can either watch them off the pc using either the monitor out or the video out. Or i can use a set-top digital box like the haupage unit or the d-link media unit?

and third is it possible to watch live tv through the sage software using the haupage set-top box or in order to watch it live and change channells and such do i have to watch it off the pc

and last one, if i am running the server and i have my 4 sat boxes in one room and run ir contro lto various rooms how can i watch somethign different in each room, or since it is only one pc, though various tuners, can i only watch 1 live show? I understand I can watch various recorded ones but what about live?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan
So essentially if i have multiple tuners and I select multiple shows to record at the same time it will sort out the conflicts and record them to various tuners. But what happens if i say have 3 tuners and select 4 shows to record? does it have a hierarchy list like tivo does?
If SageTV looks ahead in the EPG and finds an additional airing, then there will be no conflict. If it cannot find an additional airing, then you will get a conflict icon at the top.

Quote:
then to watch shows i can either watch them off the pc using either the monitor out or the video out. Or i can use a set-top digital box like the haupage unit or the d-link media unit?and third is it possible to watch live tv through the sage software using the haupage set-top box or in order to watch it live and change channells and such do i have to watch it off the pc
In order for SageTV to be able to change STB channels, you will need an IR emitter (USB-UIRT, Hauppage 150 IR Blaster) or serial control. You can watch on your PC monitor, video card out, or if you have a PVR350 its out.

Quote:
and last one, if i am running the server and i have my 4 sat boxes in one room and run ir contro lto various rooms how can i watch somethign different in each room, or since it is only one pc, though various tuners, can i only watch 1 live show? I understand I can watch various recorded ones but what about live?
You could use MVP's, but limited functionality (not worth it in my own opinion). The best setup is to have a PC for each TV or monitor, and then use SageTV Client on each of those PC's. Setup a remote on each PC (Hauppage, StreamZap, etc). SageTV will be loaded on the master PC acting as a server encoder (and you can watch on this PC also).
Old 02-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
If SageTV looks ahead in the EPG and finds an additional airing, then there will be no conflict. If it cannot find an additional airing, then you will get a conflict icon at the top.
If there are multiple tuners can it automatically sort out he conflict or do you still have to manually fix the conflict?

Quote:
You could use MVP's, but limited functionality (not worth it in my own opinion). The best setup is to have a PC for each TV or monitor, and then use SageTV Client on each of those PC's. Setup a remote on each PC (Hauppage, StreamZap, etc). SageTV will be loaded on the master PC acting as a server encoder (and you can watch on this PC also).
So if i put a client pc at each tv can i watch different tuners from the server at each pc, or still only watch a single live feed off the server unit even though ,multiple tuners?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If there are multiple tuners can it automatically sort out he conflict or do you still have to manually fix the conflict?
My guess is that with 3 or 4 tuners, you'd have to have a TON of favorites and/or manual recordings scheduled in order for SageTV not to be able to resolve the conflict with an additional airing. Actually, w/ 4 tuners, I think you'll run out of disk space before you start getting conflicts.

Quote:
So if i put a client pc at each tv can i watch different tuners from the server at each pc, or still only watch a single live feed off the server unit even though ,multiple tuners?
You can have as many SageTV Client PC's as your network can handle the bandwidth. The catch comes when the SageTV Client PC's start watching LiveTV - for each LiveTV, a tuner on the server is being used (and therefore cannot record anything else). You might run into conflicts quite often if you have a number of client PC's watching LiveTV.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
My guess is that with 3 or 4 tuners, you'd have to have a TON of favorites and/or manual recordings scheduled in order for SageTV not to be able to resolve the conflict with an additional airing. Actually, w/ 4 tuners, I think you'll run out of disk space before you start getting conflicts.
So it would find an aditional airing on a second tuner, ie at the same time? or an additional airing has to be found at a seperate time? such as tonight i have two tivos i record las vegas and my wife records that stupid dating show bot hat 8pm

Quote:
You can have as many SageTV Client PC's as your network can handle the bandwidth. The catch comes when the SageTV Client PC's start watching LiveTV - for each LiveTV, a tuner on the server is being used (and therefore cannot record anything else). You might run into conflicts quite often if you have a number of client PC's watching LiveTV.
so if i was watching tv off of tuner a could it not record onto tuner b and/or c? such as I could be watching a show on tuner a while wife was watching something being recorded on tuner 2 on a second pc?

bandwith is not really an issue running a gigabit network
Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 PM
SageTVaholic

To expand on korben has said...

Quote:
Sage uses a rather complicated and undisclosed method of working stuff out. What we know is that it will first see if it's possible to record everything, and if not it will record what it can, and alert you of what won't be recorded. I think (but I'm not positive) that Manual Recordings have priority (actually I'm sure of that much ) after that I believe it uses the ordering of your Favorites in the favorites manager.

Of course as korben said, with 4 tuners you'd have to have a LOT of favorites to end up with conflits

Quote:
then to watch shows i can either watch them off the pc using either the monitor out or the video out. Or i can use a set-top digital box like the haupage unit or the d-link media unit?
You can watch previously recorded shows (including what is being recorded) with the MVP (probably the D-Link as well), however with their stock software you won't be able to control LiveTV or anything.

But! With Matt's MVP client plugin for Sage, you can have the full Sage UI and all it's features (except non-MPEG playback) via the MVP, and Frey has anounced that they will have an official MVP based client sometime in the future.

Quote:
and third is it possible to watch live tv through the sage software using the haupage set-top box or in order to watch it live and change channells and such do i have to watch it off the pc
For practical purposes, not with the default MVP software, but with Matt's MVP plugin, yes you can watch LiveTV with an MVP.

Quote:
With only 1 PC, you'd really only be able to watch one thing. However if you had a client in each room (this could be an MVP with Matt's plugin) then yes, you could watch something different in each room.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So it would find an aditional airing on a second tuner, ie at the same time? or an additional airing has to be found at a seperate time? such as tonight i have two tivos i record las vegas and my wife records that stupid dating show bot hat 8pm
Let's say for example you want to record Las Vegas, CSI, American Idol, NYPD Blue, and Desperate Housewives, but they all come on at the same time. 4 tuners will handle 4 of the recordings (based on what Stanger said about manual recording priority and favorite priority). If SageTV can find an additional airing for the 5th show, then there is no conflict.. that show just gets recorded at a later date/time.

Quote:
so if i was watching tv off of tuner a could it not record onto tuner b and/or c? such as I could be watching a show on tuner a while wife was watching something being recorded on tuner 2 on a second pc?

bandwith is not really an issue running a gigabit network
LiveTV always takes 1 tuner out of the mix, so you are left with the other 3 tuners to take care of scheduled recordings. If you have tons and tons of favorites and manually scheduled programs, I would still expect SageTV to take care of the recordings, but I wouldn't expect all of them to be recorded immediately.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
LiveTV always takes 1 tune out of the mix, so you are left with the other 3 tuners to take care of scheduled recordings. If you have tons and tons of favorites and manually scheduled programs, I would still expect SageTV to take care of the recordings, but I wouldn't expect all of them to be recorded immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
With only 1 PC, you'd really only be able to watch one thing. However if you had a client in each room (this could be an MVP with Matt's plugin) then yes, you could watch something different in each room.

So I could watch Tuner 1 live off client in room a and tuner 2 live off client 2 in room b?

also just curious as to the bout size that each show takes up, ie how much for a 30 minute show?

thx for all the help, I am a Low voltage guy, do automation whole house audio/video media roosm etc, and just trying to get a grasp on this. Heard rave reviews from a guy I was buying a pronto screen from
Old 02-07-2005, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So I could watch Tuner 1 live off client in room a and tuner 2 live off client 2 in room b?
Yes assuming you have a client of some sort.

Quote:
also just curious as to the bout size that each show takes up, ie how much for a 30 minute show?
It really depends, there are numerous choices depending on how picky you are and what your feed is like, but conventional wisdom is 2-4GB/hour is normal, with about 3GB/hour being the sweet spot.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
But! With Matt's MVP client plugin for Sage, you can have the full Sage UI and all it's features (except non-MPEG playback) via the MVP, and Frey has anounced that they will have an official MVP based client sometime in the future.

where can i find this?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 PM
SageTVaholic

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...ght=mvp+plugin
Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Sage Icon

Are you using your Pronto for household control? That sounds pretty cool.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Sage User

Kida, we use them quite often at clients houses for anything from lighting and ac to home theater control. we also use the home theater master line as well as some elan via products for home control