SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Arrow Utility: DirMon v0.2.4 (Updated 3 September 2005)

DirMon v0.2.5

This is a program that will monitor for new files in selected directories and run up to three different programs on the new files. It will also attempt to keep those directories clean by deleting files that are no longer needed.

I started writting this at the same time Cayars first published his external monitor program. Since his does more than I had planned for DirMon, I shelved it because I didn't figure anyone would want to use it. After all, doesn't EVERYBODY use Cayars' STV? Well, apparently not since I recently had someone ask about DirMon. So, there being interest, I finished it up and am releasing it.

Enjoy...

0.2.5 - 24 September 2005
  • Fixed problem with UNC paths.
0.2.4 - 3 September 2005
  • Improved how DirMon determines if a processor is still running.
  • Added option to process subdirectories.
0.2.3 - 7 Apr 2005
  • Fixed problem with blackout times that started with 0.
0.2.2 - 28 Mar 2005
  • Fixed problem with blackout times if the Start Time is after the End Time. The blackout time will now run over midnight if that is the case.

Latest version posted here

Last edited by Jere_Jones; 09-24-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

This looks like just what the doctor ordered.

I'll try it out today and report back.

Andy
Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Much thanks. Yes there are still those of us who don't use Cayars STV(I still use Maldude2 as my main STV).

I know you just released it but can I ask for a feature? I like the start in tray option as that puts it at easy access, yet still out of the way. Could you add an option to the ini so that clicking the "X" will send to tray rather than terminating the app? I know it's a small thing but it's something I'm used to with apps that minimize to the tray.

Thanks again for the app. I look forward to seeing where it goes, especially how it may interact with the next generation of Comskip.

/justme
Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Jere,

This program rocks!

I've just turned it lose with mpg2srt to start as a test.

It is deleting orpahs fine, and launching mpg2srt perfectly.

A few questions:

Would it be possible to have a window to see the work of a processor? It would be useful to see a dos window for some processors to toubleshoot them. Right now they run kind of "blind".

Am I correct in my view of the DirMon that it only kicks off one processor then waits its "check" time before doing another? This is OK, I just want to be sure it is running correctly. To start out, I've lowered the check time to 1 min so that I will mpg2srt all the files that haven't had it done to them (over 100).

If I am correct, I might sugges that during its active time it run all possible processors one after another, then sleep until the next check time.

Anyway, thanks for a great program. If you're running a media server without Sage Server or Client, this is a pretty cool way to go.

Andy
Old 02-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme
I like the start in tray option as that puts it at easy access, yet still out of the way. Could you add an option to the ini so that clicking the "X" will send to tray rather than terminating the app? I know it's a small thing but it's something I'm used to with apps that minimize to the tray.
That's an easy change. It'll be in the next version.

Jere
Old 02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeman
A few questions:

Would it be possible to have a window to see the work of a processor? It would be useful to see a dos window for some processors to toubleshoot them. Right now they run kind of "blind".
How about a "run invisible" check box? Then you can select what runs with a window and what doesn't. This will also be in the next version.
Quote:
Am I correct in my view of the DirMon that it only kicks off one processor then waits its "check" time before doing another? This is OK, I just want to be sure it is running correctly. To start out, I've lowered the check time to 1 min so that I will mpg2srt all the files that haven't had it done to them (over 100).
That is absolutely correct. It was done that way because I was afraid people would try to do a distributed computing thing and I haven't thought of a communication protocol yet.
Quote:
If I am correct, I might sugges that during its active time it run all possible processors one after another, then sleep until the next check time.
I smell option. That's one more for the next version.
Quote:
Anyway, thanks for a great program. If you're running a media server without Sage Server or Client, this is a pretty cool way to go.

Andy
And it can be used for ANYTHING where you regularly perform the same actions on files in a directory. It isn't limited to comskip and sage! At least, that was the plan.

Jere
Old 02-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for this program I tried cayars external comskip running on my laptop.(to test) It deleted all my comskip files. So when I saw this figured I would try it. When it started deleting orphans it scared me<but it only deleted orphans, Amazing. Now it is processing a file but it is the same one over and over what did I do wrong.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones71
Now it is processing a file but it is the same one over and over what did I do wrong.
Make sure that processing the source file with the processor creates a trigger file.

If that sentence made no sense, the FAQ explains the terminology that I'm using.

Jere
Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jere,

Yes to all 3 options!

UnInvisible mode would be great. I can think of reasons users would want both choices. For debugging, watching the action is good, possibly for video card / performance reasons, some will want invisible mode. I suspect I'll run invisible unless I'm adding a new processor or having a problem.

I don't plan on any distributed processing mode use. While I see how this could be cool, I want everything to run from my media server directly and not over my Ethernet. Even if I recorded 24/7 my server can process COMSKIP and MPG2SRT with no problems. When you add the option, I'll run DirMon in the "run all processors this check" mode.

I could see how someone might want to comskip on their workstation and caption scan on their Sage PC though.

Your point that this program isn't even Sage specific is well taken. I can run it with my MYHD transport streams to convert them to MPG as they appear in the directory as well!

Thanks again,

Andy
Old 02-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Could DIRMON be leaving files open after a processor is finished with them?

Here's a snippet my comskip log:

2/28/2005 1:28:44 PM - Comskip skipping open file: I:\SageTV\StarTrekDeepSpaceNineTheEmperorsNewCloak-6072649-0.mpg
2/28/2005 1:28:44 PM - Comskip skipping open file: I:\SageTV\StarTrekEnterpriseAffliction-6089939-0.mpg
2/28/2005 1:28:44 PM - Comskip skipping open file: I:\SageTV\StarTrekIMudd-6068716-0.mpg

Currently comskip is not being run by DIRMON, but all the files open were procressed via DirMon by MPG2SRT.

I haven't quit DirMon or rebooted the media server, I want it to finish an initial pass.

Andy
Old 02-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Could DIRMON be leaving files open after a processor is finished with them?
Oops. Good catch. DirMon tries to open the file to determine if it is still being recorded. If it fails, it skips that file. If it succeeds, it carries on, but it doesn't close it.

Next version will fix it.

Jere
Old 02-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

I knew I was good for something
Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

IU still can't get it to work keeps processing same file and the processing is creating a txt trigger file What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bones,

A little more info would be helpful.

Why don't you tell us what's in each of your fields (trigger processor etc)? If you have a log from the processor application (like comskip) post a snippet of that as well.

Andy
Old 02-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

here is a screenshot the log file for comskip is huge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (45.2 KB, 1053 views)
Old 02-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

My only idea is that there is some sort of path issue. Is the .txt file that comskip generates going into the same dirertory as the MPG that it scans?

Try throwing a copy of comskip.exe into your MPG directorys and launching it with the same path as the MPG's exist in. Perhaps that would be a workaround for the moment.

I'm processing I:\SageTV and I have mpg2srt.exe in the I:\SageTV directory. The only other possibility is that someone Jere's compile of the software isn't handeling long file names. That seems kinda remote though.

If my ideas don't help, wait for the Master to respond.

Andy
Old 02-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones71
here is a screenshot the log file for comskip is huge
Do you mean that DirMon's log is huge or ComSkip's log is huge?

If DirMon's log is huge, I only need a few cycles of it.

Alternatively you could dry putting quotes around the processor.

Jere
Old 02-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jere, I think that DirMon is processing files that are indeed open. My 5PM newscast got close caption scanned while it was being recorded, resulting in partial caption data.

Look like file open and file closing issues exist in the .1 of your EXE

Andy
Old 02-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tried it on another computer same thing here's a screen cap and log file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screencap.JPG (106.0 KB, 1082 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (2.5 KB, 939 views)
Old 02-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Sage Icon

Happy birthday, by the way...