SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jeff
Thanks... Had to put comskip in the right place. worked like a charm...
If you're brave (it's not really all that hard), you might try playing around with ShowAnalyser and DirMon. It allows commercial detection while a show is being recorded, so if you start watching it before it's finished, you still get commercial detection! Just look for the SA and DirMon threads, or head over to www.dragonglobal.org and check out the forums for how to set it up. It works with SageMCE (but requires no configuration on that part--but you have to get rid of comskip and the settings in detailed setup, if using DM and SA together).

The detection seems to work a little better than comskip as well.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
The link you provided it to the SageTV downloads section. The download link for it is on the very bottom.
It's quite obvious once you find it. Kindof like Waldo. Thanks man, I appreciate that.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Sage Expert

feature request for SageMC

Before commenting I would first like to say that this STV looks and feels so much smoother than the original STV it's hands down a major improvement in graphical design. I much prefer the single-line view for recording as in the below screenshots which also illustrate some of the benefits of the main 4.0 STV. This STV is MUCH slicker in many ways and I only wish it didn't make me loose out on some of the functions (such as 1st run markers) that the main STV had and that I had gotten used to. The design however, is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT

Wishlist for SageMC-These things make it unusable to me with great regret because in so many ways it is WAY BETTER than the default.

1) First Run and Watched markers for the recordings page are missing (attach #1).
2) One should be able to clearly see if there are any upcomming conflicts at all times by an icon like those shown in the upper right hand corner of attach #4. It changes to green or red depending on current status.
3) Conflict "management" is horrible. It takes way too many clicks to get to conflict management and when you do get there (as shown in the attachment), you can't read it entirely or discern what conflicts as shown (attach #3).
4) Disk space status should always be visable somewhere (like in the bottom right of attach #4) Maybe much skinnier like the one at the top but that should always be visable in whatever form is chosen for it.
3) Search by... should bring up easy search screens that list the selectable recordings as soon as you start typing. This way you can select it as soon as you see it without having to type more. Furthermore, one can quickly determine whether it is going to be there at all and move on. (attach #2 -- Why take away this ability?) HIGH WAF issue here because my wife searches for movies all the time. The way it is, it's too difficult and completely useless to her.
4) Add-In for malore's special menus which allow you to sort by star rating and such would be nice but not a big need for me.
*5) TiVo does the whole back and forth thing between menus better. This is not a part of the main STV so I only mention it because I think it would make using SageTV much easier. In SageTV there is a difference between back and left but perhaps it could be a little more intelligent in figuring out that if it 'can't go left' any further, it should go back. This may never be possible in SageTV but TiVo has this part down pretty good. Also it doesn't scroll like SageTV. Perhaps most like the never ending circular motion of navigation but I prefer for it to be a little more obvious when I am at the end of a list and when I am at the top. I think circlular navigation is confusing. PageUp/PageDn gets me there fast enough... just my 2cents.

BIG IMPROVEMENTS WITH SAGEMC and THINGS I LOVE about it.
1) Smoother feel overall, complete with sounds.
2) Recording Titles on "one line" with descriptions popping up only as you pass over it. You even included an an option for even more info from the same screen(attach #1). GREAT DESIGN!
3) Side Bar listing things related to that screen (attach #1). OUTSTANDING and WELL PLANNED.
4) Navigation sounds are awsome!
5) While I would like to see the station icons under each channel, I'm not sure it's possible. The way you have done it is still a little better than the main STV. The station icons are a little bigger and more uniform (attach #5). Seems better.
6) Time is nice and BIG.
5) IR Suggestions in a new folder entirely (not sure I have figured this out yet but if it's there, its a great idea).

The only problem I see is that I have to give up things I already like to get other things I like. Maybe those core features (1st-Run Markers, Better Conflict Management, and disk space monitor), can be added back in at some future time.

GREAT DESIGN AND NICE SOUNDS!
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy

Last edited by snoopy; 12-07-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akenis
Matt,

I think I've figured out all the comskip stuff. Sorry if this is watered down, but it took me a long time to put it all together, and life would have been a lot easier with this knowledge:

1. A program, usually either comskip.exe or show analyazer, must run to generate a .txt file that contains the comercial breaks.

2. How does this program get run? Again, one of two way's I've seen
a) Dirmon runs as a separate program (put it in start up, or use firedaemon to run it as a service). It monitors your directories for video files and runs the program of your choice, ususally SA or comskip.exe.
or..
b) A comskip enabled STV makes a call for comskip.exe. The SA proxy could be used inplace of comskip.exe to use SA instead.
3. What is a comskip enabled STV? Start with vanilla Sage and import the comskip.stvi file OR use an STV that has it built in. Neither actually includes the comskip.exe program. Either way you'll end up with options in setup and options on the now playing screen. In set up, you specify (enable/disable) if you want Sage to go out and run comskip.exe, or SA if you use the proxy. If you use DirMon, disable comskip here. On the now playing screen options you specify (enable/disable) if you you want to use the .txt files and actually skip commercials.

Clear as mud? I've seen a lot of posts seem to prefer DirMon and SA. Dirmon cleans up orphan .txt files after the video is deleted. SA claims to be less CPU intensive and some say it's more accurate. The combination lets you monitor and control the process if you want. Tray icons let you see what is going on. Comskip was kind of like black magic to me running in the background, and crashed a couple of times.

I'm still confused by this....I have DirMon and SA running on my server. I have SageMC 16x9 already running. How do I get this working with SageMC?

I tried to import the nielm's comskip addon. It does not recognize the file unless I rename the .stvi to .stv. If I rename to .stv and attempt to import I do get an option on my advanced settings. However, when I goto that setting, it does not appear to work.

Let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Deliverer

Last edited by deliverer; 12-07-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
1) First Run and Watched markers for the recordings page are missing (attach #1).
The little TV with the "W" in it in your screenshot is the Watched icon.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Before commenting I would first like to say that this STV looks and feels so much smoother than the original STV it's hands down a major improvement in graphical design. I much prefer the single-line view for recording as in the below screenshots which also illustrate some of the benefits of the main 4.0 STV. This STV is MUCH slicker in many ways and I only wish it didn't make me loose out on some of the functions (such as 1st run markers) that the main STV had and that I had gotten used to. The design however, is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT

Wishlist for SageMC-These things make it unusable to me with great regret because in so many ways it is WAY BETTER than the default.

2) One should be able to clearly see if there are any upcomming conflicts at all times by an icon like those shown in the upper right hand corner of attach #4. It changes to green or red depending on current status.
3) Conflict "management" is horrible. It takes way too many clicks to get to conflict management and when you do get there (as shown in the attachment), you can't read it entirely or discern what conflicts as shown (attach #3).
4) Disk space status should always be visable somewhere (like in the bottom right of attach #4) Maybe much skinnier like the one at the top but that should always be visable in whatever form is chosen for it.
3) Use the dynamic menu to get to the conflicts quicker.
4) This has been asked before Mldude wants to keep the interface clean and I really can't argue with that.

Some of the other stuff has the same answer as what I wrote for number 4. Just to keep the interface clean.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:06 AM

Quote:
3) Search by... should bring up easy search screens that list the selectable recordings as soon as you start typing. This way you can select it as soon as you see it without having to type more. Furthermore, one can quickly determine whether it is going to be there at all and move on. (attach #2 -- Why take away this ability?) HIGH WAF issue here because my wife searches for movies all the time. The way it is, it's too difficult and completely useless to her.
4) Add-In for malore's special menus which allow you to sort by star rating and such would be nice but not a big need for me.
*5) TiVo does the whole back and forth thing between menus better. This is not a part of the main STV so I only mention it because I think it would make using SageTV much easier. In SageTV there is a difference between back and left but perhaps it could be a little more intelligent in figuring out that if it 'can't go left' any further, it should go back. This may never be possible in SageTV but TiVo has this part down pretty good. Also it doesn't scroll like SageTV. Perhaps most like the never ending circular motion of navigation but I prefer for it to be a little more obvious when I am at the end of a list and when I am at the top. I think circlular navigation is confusing. PageUp/PageDn gets me there fast enough... just my 2cents.
#1 This is to keep things attractive and clean. You can filter the Guide as well for First Run if you like.

#2 This is a culture change for sure. This works very similar to how MCE does it and I personally grew to prefer it. No icky icon to ugly it up, and consistent and easy to to see EXACTLY what is and is not going to be recorded at any time.

#3 I disagree with the too many clicks. You can get to conflict management for any item with one to two clicks. You just need to get used to thinking of conflict management as an integral part of the schedule. Also, SageMC169 is designed and tested by me in a 16x9 aspect ratio. Visual items like that while I try to avoid sometimes happen. I will check it out if it is something I can make work in both ratios.

#4 Disk space meters are completely useless to me. What would I use it for? SageTV manages my disks, they are always full. If I need to know what is going to be delete soon I just check the Recording Information screen to see what is going and in what order.

#5 This STV is designed like Meedio, MCE, and Media Portal in that it uses a dedicated Back command to take you back one step. Pretty much that is what I prefer. I did put in the ability to enable the use left as back functionality but it is not something I use. I also hate the never ending scrolling. That is why in SageMC you have a list you can scroll to the bottom then have to scroll back to the top. Seems more intuitive for me.

There are lots of things in SageMC that make it quite powerful and much more feature rich than the default STV. Some of them become more apparent over time as you use it. However, some things will always be different as my whole philosophy about it is different than SageTV's about their STV - I want function and form, and strong form IS function .

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
It's supposed to do that
Thanks stranger.. I was looking for the other way ... duh...

Do you use the streamzap remote with this STV? If so is there a way to set the left button to work the same way it does in the default stv to move to previous screens? (w/o using girder)
Old 12-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
If you're brave (it's not really all that hard), you might try playing around with ShowAnalyser and DirMon. It allows commercial detection while a show is being recorded, so if you start watching it before it's finished, you still get commercial detection! Just look for the SA and DirMon threads, or head over to www.dragonglobal.org and check out the forums for how to set it up. It works with SageMCE (but requires no configuration on that part--but you have to get rid of comskip and the settings in detailed setup, if using DM and SA together).

The detection seems to work a little better than comskip as well.
I have been thinking of playing around with SA and DirMon. I may give that a shot over the weekend and see how the two compare for detection. I really like the idea of getting commercial detects while the show is recording.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Sage User

I'd like to first say this STV is my absolute favorite. It has a HUGE WAF and is quite easy to navigate around in. Much better than the original STV and I really like the improvements to the music section too.

I have another question with the DVD profiler stuff. I did all the modifications for the importing of DVD profiler xml file. I place the XML in the correct directory that I specified.

How do I access that information or import the entire collection into Sage? I have a collection of around 200 DVDs that are 98% OFFLINE with only a couple that are online. I'd like to be able to browse the entire collection within sage, pick one and have it prompt me to insert the DVD to play or just play it if it is online. IS that possible?? Or is it to strictly to search against like the IMDB function?

Is there documentation that I missed to explain HOW to use the DVD profiler information? I just saw documentation to set it up.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jeff
I'd like to first say this STV is my absolute favorite. It has a HUGE WAF and is quite easy to navigate around in. Much better than the original STV and I really like the improvements to the music section too.

I have another question with the DVD profiler stuff. I did all the modifications for the importing of DVD profiler xml file. I place the XML in the correct directory that I specified.

How do I access that information or import the entire collection into Sage? I have a collection of around 200 DVDs that are 98% OFFLINE with only a couple that are online. I'd like to be able to browse the entire collection within sage, pick one and have it prompt me to insert the DVD to play or just play it if it is online. IS that possible?? Or is it to strictly to search against like the IMDB function?

Is there documentation that I missed to explain HOW to use the DVD profiler information? I just saw documentation to set it up.

Thanks!
Jeff
Check out the My Videos section in the Wiki. Let me know if you have problems after that.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical
Thanks stranger.. I was looking for the other way ... duh...

Do you use the streamzap remote with this STV? If so is there a way to set the left button to work the same way it does in the default stv to move to previous screens? (w/o using girder)
It won't work in every menu (but I think it did not work in every menu in the default one either), but you can enable this hidden unsupported feature. Not sure what the property is, but theck the Wiki Properties section it is in there.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliverer
I'm still confused by this....I have DirMon and SA running on my server. I have SageMC 16x9 already running. How do I get this working with SageMC?

I tried to import the nielm's comskip addon. It does not recognize the file unless I rename the .stvi to .stv. If I rename to .stv and attempt to import I do get an option on my advanced settings. However, when I goto that setting, it does not appear to work.

Let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Deliverer
You don't want nielm's comskip import. You need to make sure that all the comskip features in the "detailed setup" are disabled. Make sure and get rid of comskip.exe, wherever you put it.

Then, in order to get the STV to skip the sections that are marked, you need to enable comskip within the "Options" menu (such as when viewing a recorded show, press your "Options" button, and set to enabled).

I guess first things first though, are you seeing the marked commercial breaks on the timeline?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
You don't want nielm's comskip import. You need to make sure that all the comskip features in the "detailed setup" are disabled. Make sure and get rid of comskip.exe, wherever you put it.

Then, in order to get the STV to skip the sections that are marked, you need to enable comskip within the "Options" menu (such as when viewing a recorded show, press your "Options" button, and set to enabled).

I guess first things first though, are you seeing the marked commercial breaks on the timeline?
geogecko, you are the Comskip man! How about adding something to the Wiki on this subject?

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Check out the My Videos section in the Wiki. Let me know if you have problems after that.
I see the Wiki is coming along nicely. I was hoping to help with it some when I'm off for a week after Christmas, but it looks like there won't be much to do...

I guess I'll just go over them, and see if there's anything to add.

Heck, I might even redo my system over the break, and check all the instructions...Hmm...do I really want to do that???
Old 12-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
geogecko, you are the Comskip man! How about adding something to the Wiki on this subject?
That was funny. Sure, that is what I'll tackle. I'll put some instructions together this week and weekend, and get them added...
Old 12-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Can you, or someone, add something to the FAQ page under "General" about the "left"/"back" thing? That seems to come up very often.

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
#1 This is to keep things attractive and clean. You can filter the Guide as well for First Run if you like.

#2 This is a culture change for sure. This works very similar to how MCE does it and I personally grew to prefer it. No icky icon to ugly it up, and consistent and easy to to see EXACTLY what is and is not going to be recorded at any time.

#3 I disagree with the too many clicks. You can get to conflict management for any item with one to two clicks. You just need to get used to thinking of conflict management as an integral part of the schedule. Also, SageMC169 is designed and tested by me in a 16x9 aspect ratio. Visual items like that while I try to avoid sometimes happen. I will check it out if it is something I can make work in both ratios.

#4 Disk space meters are completely useless to me. What would I use it for? SageTV manages my disks, they are always full. If I need to know what is going to be delete soon I just check the Recording Information screen to see what is going and in what order.

#5 This STV is designed like Meedio, MCE, and Media Portal in that it uses a dedicated Back command to take you back one step. Pretty much that is what I prefer. I did put in the ability to enable the use left as back functionality but it is not something I use. I also hate the never ending scrolling. That is why in SageMC you have a list you can scroll to the bottom then have to scroll back to the top. Seems more intuitive for me.

There are lots of things in SageMC that make it quite powerful and much more feature rich than the default STV. Some of them become more apparent over time as you use it. However, some things will always be different as my whole philosophy about it is different than SageTV's about their STV - I want function and form, and strong form IS function .

Thanks for the feedback!
That is unfortunate. I do like and depend on the 1st run icons and I depend on the disk space monitor as well as the conflict management. Those things are absolute musts for me. Perhaps I will have to learn Studio at some point if I want to add those features. Oh well, thanks for your response. I really appreciate your willingness to put it together in the first place. There are so many things I do like.
-- Snoopy
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I do like and depend on ... the disk space monitor
I guess I don't understand why this is an issue. I have set up my video directories under the Sage setup to a certain size (1 spare drive is sage dedicated so that one is set to use all available space, the other drive is my main c: drive, so I have set a limit of 70GB out of 120GB), so there is room left on my computer for other stuff. Then I let Sage manage deletion of files as needed, watched files first etc.

Like mlbdude said, my Sage video drives are always full. There is no time they are not full, so a disk space monitor is useless as far as I can tell. Maybe you have some other situation???

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 12-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Sage Icon

You could always use deria's System Monitor plugin for this feature, although it is still not displayed on the main menu, it's still better than looking for how much space is left in the setup of SageTV.

I have it installed, but don't use it that often. I like to have free space on my drives, unlike some others have mentoned here (at first, I didn't realize what mlb was saying when he said his drives are always full, now I do).

I tend to delete all my watched shows after I watch them anyway, so the only thing that would help, is if Sage deleted the shows based on my schedule priority list, and started deleting shows I hadn't watched yet...