SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Experiencing slow down after a few days of uptime...

I was just wondering if anyone else had ever noticed the UI slowing down after a few days of uptime? I have never really had any problem before, but for some reason tonite things were moving slowly. I first noticed it when I was watching a show and then went to FF. The video advanced, but the OSD time bar did not show up as usual. Then I hit FF a few more time, and the video responded, but no OSD, until all of a sudden the OSD caught up and went nuts for a second, and then things were back to normal (still a bit slow though).

My latest change has been running Cayars CDM over my network. Since my main computer is faster than my Sage setup, I have my HTPC drive mapped and process all the commercials over the network, which I was thinking shouldn't be a problem.

My Sage box is an Athlon 2200+, 512 PC2700, Radeon 7000, Sonic Decoders w/ ffdshow, Cayars v17, Sage v2.2. I haven't really changed anything else lately...

Going to upgrade to server / client setup soon though, and will be upgrading the client to a 2800+ and using the 2200+ for the server. Hopefully there won't be any slowdown problems with that setup...

So, anyway, anyone else see any lag when using CDM over a network?

- Dan
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hmm may have answered my own question... Checked out my memory usage and I was down to like > 50 meg left... CPU Usage was fine, but was basically out of memory. I upped my pagefile a bit after rebooting and it seems to have helped I guess... Now I have 240 meg available.

So new question, what is recommended for a server? Guessing 1GB is safe...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

I'm running 1GB now, but my old machine only had 384MB or so and ran OK. Of course, now I just remembered that you said you are using Cayars' STV & CDM, so that may change things, but I was going to suggest double checking that some other process isn't eating memory. Norton Antivirus, for example, likes to use all your memory as you play videos in SageTV, so it is a good idea to set it to exclude the video dirs from its auto-protection.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah I don't have any virus protection running on there right now. It has been running beatifully for the last few months though, and now all of a sudden it seems to be acting up. Like I said, the last thing I changed was adding CDM over the network, but even that was running for a few days without any problems. I switched back to internal commercial detection through Cayars now and am seeing if that makes any difference.

When will I learn to stop messing around with things that are working fine???

- Dan
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRex

When will I learn to stop messing around with things that are working fine???

- Dan

Where's the fun in that?

Thanks for the info on NAV exclusions- didn't know that.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Okay I think I just figured it out... had to stop thinking about it for a little while, and then realized what happened...

I dont have any antivirus software on the HTPC as I mentioned... But, I mapped my media drive on my regular PC as Z: when I was running CDM over the network. This wasn't a problem at first, until I installed a new anti-virus software the other day, which saw the Z: drive and began monitoring it! DOH!

So, now that I have figured that out, all should be well...

Thanks for the suggestion Andy... I knew anti-virus would be a problem, just took a little while to realize it was scanning the mapped network drive...

- Dan