SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Less development?

I've noticed that a lot of the work on the custom stv's has slowed. I am by no means bitching & moaning...the work the mlbdude, neilm, cayars and others have done has surpassed any expectations I had. These guys rock!

But since development has been slowing down, I've started to wonder why. Is it:
1. It's summer time! Enjoy the weather not the computer!
2. Everybody's waiting (testing?) Sage 3, so they don't want to re-write code?
3. Got tired of working on an stv--it was fun at first, but it got old and tiresome.
4. MS MCE is starting to take off and people are planning on switching to it?
5. It's going just as strong; there's just less posts.
6. None of the above

What does everybody think?
rwc
Old 05-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

I can't speak for everyone else, but development of comskip's successor (ShowAnalyzer) is still going strong. Since it is a closed source project in it's early stages, I try not to advertise it that much. And most of the develoment/bug talk goes on via email or my site.

Jere
Old 05-16-2005, 09:34 AM

I'm a little bit #4 and a lot #7 - Real life job is taking all my time.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

#3. I received so little feedback for the amount of time spent, that I lost interest in adding new features once the features I wanted worked well enough.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malore
#3. I received so little feedback for the amount of time spent, that I lost interest in adding new features once the features I wanted worked well enough.
That's a shame. So far I've refused to use any STV that doesn't have your modifications. In my opinion, your work and neilm's add the best functionality.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malore
But... but... that means you did such good work that it just works w/o needing too many more modifications! I think your recordings lists & custom menus, especially the Viewing History, are some of the most useful additions created.

Of course, that brings up another point: once things work quite well, how many more times do they need to be modified?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Sage Icon

And continuing on from what Andy said, back to #2. Once 3.0 is out, the STV developers will find virgin ground on which to experiment........
Old 05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc
I've noticed that a lot of the work on the custom stv's has slowed. I am by no means bitching & moaning...the work the mlbdude, neilm, cayars and others have done has surpassed any expectations I had. These guys rock!

But since development has been slowing down, I've started to wonder why. Is it:
1. It's summer time! Enjoy the weather not the computer!
2. Everybody's waiting (testing?) Sage 3, so they don't want to re-write code?
3. Got tired of working on an stv--it was fun at first, but it got old and tiresome.
4. MS MCE is starting to take off and people are planning on switching to it?
5. It's going just as strong; there's just less posts.
6. None of the above

What does everybody think?
rwc
Mine was #3, but I'd say #1 and partially #5.

Most of the posts were for Cayars's STV, which many people find useful. I guess I'm a little biased with my own, since I spent a lot of time working on it.

You really don't get paid for it and it becomes more of something to just share with friends (which kind of lowers the priority a bit over getting paid for it). Don't get me wrong; I thank the people who have used mine and gave me feedback on it, good or bad. I still update mine a bit, but it really does most, if not, all that I've wanted to do with it.

There was work on an AAC playback for Sage by using the video playback and parsing through all the files (with my STV), but the work outweighs the reward. You can just load up iTunes.

Work will still continue on mine, but at a slightly slower pace. If, when using it, I find a bug, I make sure to find it and correct it. That's also true if someone else points one out to me.

It's just that most people go with Cayars's STV and Mlbdude's STVs (which is fine, because I do love their work). I learned from Mlbdude's STVs, Malore's Comskip implementation, Nielm's wonderful modules , and many others' STVs that I feel glad that I made my contribution with my implementation of theirs, mine, and others' STV parts.... This is what makes Studio worth it for me to keep using.

Lauren
Old 05-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Sage Icon

I'd really like to continue where I left off with my DVD Burning project. I thought that Cayars had beat me to it, but his isn't that great and he seems to have gone away. What I really need is someone who is good with Studio. I have access to it, but I can't seem to get a good grasp on it. The learning curve is incredible...

It should be said that my DVD system for creating DVDs was basically finished. It just had a very limited interface in Sage. Perhaps Cayars had one and I can rip it out for my means...then again, not too sure how I'd do that.

Last edited by KJake; 05-20-2005 at 03:58 PM.