SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Sage Expert

Resolution / Screen Metrics

I realize that televisions are made to overscan... And I have my user interface nicely within the overscan so I can see it all. But I know from my desktop that I'm losing enough of the picture to be irritated quite a bit right now. I've done just about everything I can think of including using powerstrip to try to create custom resolutions for my box without any luck. I am currently running 720x480 resolution on a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV setup and the picture is ok I suppose... But I can't see but a small part of my windows status bar, and a good 50 pixels or so are cut off on either end... and I'm losing probably a good 20 pixels at the top as well.

Is there any way you guys know to "squash" the desktop a bit so that it takes up a smaller part of the real estate? Kind of like setting the user interface in sage itself...
Old 05-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

Usually that's adjusted via the video driver/tools. Should be a way in there to adjust it there.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 AM
SageTVaholic

.. but usually to see the full desktop, you need to disable overscan...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Like RedR says, check your video drivers. You may need to update them - what video card are you using?

For the longest time I tried to use Powerstrip to adjust the overscan, but it was nothing but a nightmare. I found that with the latest nVidia drivers, I can tweak my 5200 to nearly perfect coverage on my HDTV. Took a little bit of digging to find the right place to make the adjustments, but otherwise it worked like a charm.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Sage Icon

Maybe this is a silly question, but why are you running 720x480 on a 65" HDTV?

Seems like a waste to me...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

What type of connection are you using to connect the HTPC to the TV? What video card are you using?

For my 6600GT connected via component, I set the aspect ratio settings within sage to 100%. Then I changed my desktop resolution so that the video in sage fit the screen perfectly. Then I adjusted the Sage OSD until it fit properly. I'm running at 1784*1004 on a 57" Hitachi HDTV.

Of course I can't use the desktop at that resolution (way too small) but it works well for Sage, it fills the screen entirely and I'm not losing any of the picture to overscanning.

Last edited by blade; 05-17-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Maybe this is a silly question, but why are you running 720x480 on a 65" HDTV?
What do you suggest I run? It's the only 16:9 resolution I have available to me...

Quote:
what video card are you using?
GeForce3Ti500. I built the box as a dedicated sage machine so it's definitely not running top of the line stuff like my primary machine is, but I think that's a good enough card considering some of the setups I've read about here.

Quote:
What type of connection are you using to connect the HTPC to the TV?
SVideo from the video card to my dvd recorder and svideo from there to the tv as well. How are you connecting via component? Are you using a transcoder and upscaling or....... I'm open to suggestions. Also, since the video coming into the PVR250 is going to be 480i at best, do I really need to go higher than 720x480?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
What do you suggest I run? It's the only 16:9 resolution I have available to me...
[/B]

1776x1000i of course

Quote:
[B]GeForce3Ti500. I built the box as a dedicated sage machine so it's definitely not running top of the line stuff like my primary machine is, but I think that's a good enough card considering some of the setups I've read about here.

SVideo from the video card to my dvd recorder and svideo from there to the tv as well. How are you connecting via component? Are you using a transcoder and upscaling or....... I'm open to suggestions. Also, since the video coming into the PVR250 is going to be 480i at best, do I really need to go higher than 720x480?
Heck yeah! Upscaling is about the best part of HTPC video:

Personally if you can, I'd get a Geforce 6600, like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125189
It supports native component out and should be a snap to set up.

If not, you'll want a cable like I linked above (make sure it's the 5-rca version not the 3) your TV should have a DTV/RGBHV input. Then just connect the PC to the TV (probably S-Video also since the TV probably won't sync at default settings). Then get Powerstrip and load up the 1776x1000i HDTV derived resolution, and optionally tweak the location.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
How are you connecting via component? Are you using a transcoder and upscaling or....... I'm open to suggestions. Also, since the video coming into the PVR250 is going to be 480i at best, do I really need to go higher than 720x480?
The 6600 does component out. The video card upscales the video.

I always wondered if the RGB breakout cables worked with the GeForce3's. Hmmm I might have to throw together another client box for my mitsubishi if they do.

Last edited by blade; 05-17-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:23 PM
SageTVaholic

RGB breakout cables work fine with (almost) any card with VGA out, the question is if your display supports RGB input. Many don't, I htink most Mits' do.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
If not, you'll want a cable like I linked above
Don't see a cable linked above... But I'm giving serious consideration to that 6600... I have a 6800GT in my primary box so maybe I'll do a little testing this weekend if I don't buy a 6600 outright. But I'll still need to figure out which cable you are talking about. I assume it's DVI to Component? or is it VGA to component?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Sage Expert

http://www.national-tech.com/catalog...videocable.htm

I see a vga to component video here, but it says specifically "not to be used with a computer's input or output" (to paraphrase)... I also seem to remember reading in my manual for the mitsubishi tv that the dvi input on the tv isn't compatible with dvi on a video card in a PC... It's just freaking confusing... You have standard interfaces, but they AREN'T standard... This DVI doesn't work with that DVI... This VGA isn't compatible with THAT VGA... I brain feels like goo after working on this thing after a few hours.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Sage Expert

Hrmmmmmmm....

http://www.trianglecables.com/dvi-hdtv200.html

This looks good. I'd have to get an ATI card to go with it, but I think this might be my solution.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Woops, it was a Bluejeanscable VGA breakout cable, must have forgotten the link.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...abncprices.htm

I'm using a VGA breakout cable right now with my Mits.
Quote:
but it says specifically "not to be used with a computer's input or output"
That's because most TVs don't support RGB on their component input.

Quote:
I also seem to remember reading in my manual for the mitsubishi tv that the dvi input on the tv isn't compatible with dvi on a video card in a PC
Oh, all you need is a DVI cable then. They only say that because they don't want to support it.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Which is easier to setup and configure, dvi or rgb? Is there a difference in pq between the two?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

DVI should be easier, since it should detect your TV as an TV and enable all the nice HDTV features (overscan/underscan/etc) in the nVidia drivers. As for PQ, it's trickier, DVI is theoretically better, but there are a lot of variables, including the DVI implimentation in your TV. If you have the DLP, DVI is definitely the way to go.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Sage Expert

wow... 110 dollars for a DVI cable out at radio shack. I'm headed out there in a bit to pick one up. Getting the dual DVI-I cable because I have no idea if a) it's giong to work... and b) which DVI-A or DVI-D I should get... I sure hope that both of them are DVI-D because from what I have read, there is no conversion between the two? If one is analog and one digital they will just not work at all.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Kanati,

The latest nVidia drivers support overscan correction. Check out page 5 of this review:
http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=6xxx

Also, $110 is a lot for a DVI cable. If you're an AVS Forum member you can get a discount at Ram Electronics (their DVI cables list at about $30):
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/D...es.html#select
Old 05-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Sage Expert

Initial report on hooking it up via DVI-I (which should be fine as DVI-I does both analog and digital, and both devices are DVI-D) is that it ain't working... So far I haven't been able to get the GeForce3 card to give me a signal on the DVI port of the tv.

(Thanks for the cheaper priced cables... But I'm a glutton for punishment and hate to order anything because it invariably gets lost, delayed, backordered, etc)

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a GeforceFX5650Go video I will attempt to give me a DVI signal. If that works I'll just go buy me a cheap FX card and drop in the box.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Just curious (and not sure if it matters) was the TV on before you booted the PC?