SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

Switching from BTV?

Currently I'm taking a close look at Sage again. I haven't read the latest documentation in full, so, feel free to point to the docs, if you don't want to answer.

1) The user inteface is still awful, but there are mod's now. I assume, those work for the client as well?

2) Can the timeshifting buffer be disabled?

3) One of my client boxes is connected to my main tv and runs Beyond Media, Firefly and the netgear MP101 server software. Are there any known issues, if I would replace the BTV with with Sage?

4) I know, support for Firefly remote requires some tweaking. How serious is that?

5) Maybe I can do away with Beyond Media as well. Pictures and Music are supported by Sage as well. I understand, the weather module is an add-on, I'd have to install separately?

6) As far as DVD playback is concerned, I assume that I can use either my cyberlink or NDVD codecs?

7) Since my server runs headless - can I adminster Sage 100% from a client?

8) I read about MAC support here. Sage appears to be as equally not-forthcoming in supporting this, in at least some basic way. Is there any effort under way, right now? Technically, Sage is much closer to my area of expertise than BTV. I'm writing Java for a living.

9) How free are you in Sage as far as recording qualities are concerned?

10) I know my tuners are supported (Hauppauge PVR 250 and AverMedia M150). But how about my server: It's a PIII 933Mhz, 512 MB. With BTV I seem to have reached the end of it as far as timeshifting is concerned. I can't go any higher than 720x480, 4000 kbps without getting the stutters which is not that bad, but I want better quailty (otherwise my wife won't let me get rid of the TiVo).

11) Does Sage support folders for recordings?

12) I'd have to migrate everything (one server, three clients) in an afternoon. This shouldn't be an issue, correct?

13) Is it worth waiting for a deal on the software I need?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:26 AM

#1 While I am no fan of the Sage UI, I think the BTV one is the worst . There are three non Sage oriented UI's you can try out.

#2 No, timeshifting is integral to SageTV. It is much more advanced than BTV though and should be transparent for you.

#5 Depends if Sage plays all the file types you use. If it does it has basic functionality for everything.

#6 You can configure all that and more. You can also assign external DVD players on some of the mods.

#7 Yes, and SageTV runs are a real service.

#9 There are lots of default qualities. You can add more if you want but you have to edit the properties file.

#10 Sage works better on older equipment thatn BTV so you should be good.

#11 No, Sage is designed to replace a Tivo like device so some of its PC oriented functions are limited. However, grouping and sorting recordings in SageTV are far more advanced than BTV so that should help.

#12 Good luck .
Old 05-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

I'll answer whast I can...

#1: Yes
#2: No
#3: None I know of
#4: Not sure, I don't use Firefly. If you can do Girder, then easy. If the firefly software will let you assign keyboard events to all keys, then easy again.
#5: Yes, weather is an add-on supported only in certain STVs (interfaces). Most of them support it, but make sure the one you would want to use supports it.
#6: Believe so, YES.
#7: I will say yes. I never get on my Sage, I do everything from the client.
#8: NO, nothing that has been announced or hinted at (at all).
#9: Can use any of the built-in ones, or make custom ones yourself. Custom ones require editing the properties text file.
#10: Should be fine
#11: NO. All recordings go into the library directories. You can not specify a specific location for recorded shows.
#12: I did it. But your mileage may vary.
#13: My personal opinion only here... I woujldn't do anything with a new Sage install until the beta for v3.0 comes out. Which according to Frey is 'soon'. I would ASSUME that there may be bundle deals/coupons as v3.0 comes out as well, although that might not happen until the final is released (no timeframe given for that).

Jason
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
2) Can the timeshifting buffer be disabled?
No, and there is no timeshifting buffer (as in BTV/Tivo)-- everything is recorded in separate files per show (this causes confusion at first to people who are expecting buffered timeshifting, but has several advantages -- including no loss of recorded data when you change channels,go to a menu etc; and the ability to save a recording after having watched a bit of a show in LiveTV)
Old 05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Sage User

I too am re-visiting Sage. There are still a few things I like about BTV though, mostly revolving around the EPG and favorites. I like how I can browse to a show from the EPG and choose to record that single episode, record all, or record all new episodes. I also like how the favorites are handled in the EPG. I can tell if a show that's in my favorites will be recorded or not becuase of the icon used.

The webserver that Nielm made is excellent. It would be cool to see the same record once, all, all new logic applied to this as well.

jeff
Old 05-23-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_d
I too am re-visiting Sage. There are still a few things I like about BTV though, mostly revolving around the EPG and favorites. I like how I can browse to a show from the EPG and choose to record that single episode, record all, or record all new episodes. I also like how the favorites are handled in the EPG. I can tell if a show that's in my favorites will be recorded or not becuase of the icon used.

The webserver that Nielm made is excellent. It would be cool to see the same record once, all, all new logic applied to this as well.

jeff
I assume those comments are strictly for the web guide Neilm has done since those are basic features in most PVR's.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Sage User

I was referring to the fact that I must create a favorite first and then go in and modify it to only record all, new, etc. Granted, I am still looking over the manual and may have missed something.

I also suggested that the record once, all, new logic be added to Nielms already killer webserver.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

jeff
You can easily select from the EPG what to record and whether its a favorite then change the favorite options for how you want to record it. All basic Sage functions.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that I must create a favorite first and then go in and modify it to only record all, new, etc. Granted, I am still looking over the manual and may have missed something.

I also suggested that the record once, all, new logic be added to Nielms already killer webserver.
Gotcha, I have not used the default STV for so long I forgot it has that exta step.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I can tell if a show that's in my favorites will be recorded or not becuase of the icon used.
This will be in the next version of the web server -- Shows will have a red dot in the EPG/search results if they are scheduled to be recorded ... Favorite management won't be in the next version, but should be in SageTV v3's (release date TBA) own web interface...
Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

So far, so good. I have both tuners working (and recording). Picture quality is good. The client is much more responsive then BTV Link, and most importantly, my server does not break in sweat. Memory usage, though, seems a bit higher.

Anybody got their firefly working with Sage and care to share their settings?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius
I do with SageClient. Some editing of the profile is needed for Client. I can eml/upload my Sageclient FF profile if it'd help.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Sage Icon

Please do!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Switching from BTV
I'm in the same boat as you, switching from BTV. Only I did it 8 months ago. I havea server computer with sage running as a service and with 3 clients connecting to it. I have 3 tuners, two of which is analogue and one controls the digital cable box via IR blaster. Everything is working well.

As far as BTV, I still use it to stream LiveTV over the internet using WMV format. This is still the one feature that SageTV will probably never have. For everything else, SageTV is superior. With latest BTV3.5.3, I run it along SageTV2.28 on the same server with no conflicts.
Quote:
I use FireFly with Girder via the sendmessage commands, so SageTV doesn't need to be in Focus for it to work. For the girder settings and configuration, go here: http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/Girder

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks, I'll take a look.-
Old 05-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Please do!
Here they are...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Firefly profiles.zip (1.6 KB, 251 views)
Old 05-26-2005, 07:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriber
Here they are...
Thanks, that's a good one to start with.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Was the move from BTV worth it

Flavius,
I have been following both products for a long time now and originaly chose BTV over Sage because it just looked better at the time. Now after about 18 months of using BTV,BTVlink and the Firefly remote I am taking another look at SageTV. My main issue with BTV is there autoGuide updater always causes major system slow downs & stutters while running in the backround and I just dont like the BM/BTV separate program way of doing things. I have worked through most of the usual issues to where I do now have a fairly stable setup. I am now ready to add HDTV to my system and BTV has no known timeframe for this. I have seen the user Hd Network encoder pluggin for SageTv and it looks like a possibility. I am going to be building a new more powerful HTPC soon and will probably load MCE on it since I need another operating system anyways. The New machine will be for all my HD duties. I really would like to be able to use QAM HD but so far that means I must use a separate program for this. I am hoping that Sage,BTV or MCE will implement QAM in there next major release.
Anyways I was just curious how you feel about the switch to SageTV and if it has been worth it to you.
Dave
Old 06-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

I swithced over from the BTV to Sage about 4 months ago and so far it's been good. There are a few things I miss from BTV but other than that I'm glad I made the switch. The biggest issues for me with BTV was the tuner price issue and the fact that some features from the earlier versions of BTV were sent to the trash bin. The biggest Sage selling point for me is the fact that I can use my hauppage mvp's as clients. BTV allows you to use the mvp to view recorded shows as well as the tv buffer but with sage I can use my mvp as a full client. I have one mvp in the master bedroom and one in my son's room and it makes a great noiseless client. Plus sage runs much better than BTV did on the same hardware.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, it was absolutely worth it. Next thing for will be to make my HTPC play nice with plasma hdtv. And recording HDTV after that. Currently I use the DCT6412 for that, and I can foresee that I might get used to that kind of PQ, especially when you have a TV that can handle it.