SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Sage Expert

cmaffia!!! how could you!?!?!?

Oh wait... I tend to agree. Tivo series 2 is the machine to beat and it hasn't even been matched yet. I like sage and it's capabilities. I plan on continuing to use sage. But I'm always going to keep an eye open for another software package that comes closer to Tivo. I'm even giving consideration to creating my own (the tools are all out there, it's not rocket science)... I've already got a media player nearly finished so I don't have to use sage's viewer (it just flat out refuses to play some files that normal media players have no trouble with at all) so it wouldn't be too huge a leap to start adding recording.

Anyway... Sage is good. It's got a lot going for it. But those things that it does wrong or has trouble with are annoyances I just wish I didn't have to live with.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
Tivo series 2 is the machine to beat and it hasn't even been matched yet.
Hmm, I had one once, returned it after two days or so.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
... and hundreds of hours I have spent configuring, tweaking and experimenting with SageTV, my Series 2 Tivo still blows it away!
In terms of easy to setup and nice interface, yes, Tivo is king. As for amount of features and functions, SageTV blows Tivo away. I use both Tivo and SageTV, so I know the differences, also documented in my SageTV review in my sig.

As for the future of PVR, its really hard to guess. With HDTV and DMR at an uncertainty, who knows what's gonna happen. But whatever happens, it will be a slow process. We will be well in the next decade before the majority of the homes are equipted with some sort of digital entertainment device. So just relax, you can enjoy your SageTV for many more years before anything happens, whether it's good or bad.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:20 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
Tivo series 2 is the machine to beat and it hasn't even been matched yet.
No it hasn't been matched yet which is kind of unforgivable as it has been on the market for so long. As far as SageTV having more features that Tivo, yes this is true but then again SageTV is hosted on a PC so these features (as interesting and useful as they are) are not as difficult to add.

The core of what we all use SageTV for, which is to record and schedule our TV shows needs to be refined. All the STV's that are out there are just fluff to compensate what Sage "out of the box" is missing and should already include natively.

I really miss the way that Tivo fast forwards then would back up 2 seconds as if it knew you overshot your destination! Hopefully with 3.0 the author has tried to emulate the functionality and interface of Tivo even more!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 06-11-2005 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Tivo fast forwards then would back up 2 seconds as if it knew you overshot your destination!
<plug>my continous ff/rew plugin also does this -- the amount backed up is also proportional to the speed of the FF/REW and configurable</plug>
Old 06-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
SageTV is hosted on a PC so these features (as interesting and useful as they are) are not as difficult to add.
Not all, things like multi-tuners, ComSkip, and Client/Server model are not PC specific. And Tivo is running Linux, so its a PC also.
Quote:
All the STV's that are out there are just fluff to compensate what Sage "out of the box" is missing and should already include natively.
This is Tivo's strong point, it limits the features and therefore easy to setup. SageTV on the other hand requires countless hours to get all the features you want in it, a feat only computer hobbyist should attempt.
Quote:
I really miss the way that Tivo fast forwards then would back up 2 seconds as if it knew you overshot your destination!
This is a debatable feature, depends on who you ask, so it does not necessary mean Tivo has the edge. Personally, if I can make Tivo skip like SageTV, I would.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:43 AM
Sage Icon

Bah.... Comskip (well, really SA) is so accurate these days I RARELY ever have to FFWD through a commercial anyway! It is all automatic.

So suck THAT Tivo.

I never liked the Tivo functionality or interface. Either did my wife. She would be ticked if the interface went back to that (and so would I)... I think it is simply a matter of personal preference, what you get used to, and how you set your STV up.

SOME people like Tivo better, some don't.

Jason

Quote:
I really miss the way that Tivo fast forwards then would back up 2 seconds as if it knew you overshot your destination!