SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Sage User

Favorites padding removed without back to back

I'm running the current version (2.2.8) on an XP pro box with two Hauppauge PVR 150's attached to analog cable. I've got
remove_padding_on_back_to_back_favorites=true
set in properties.

Padding is not being applied in situations that don't seem to meet the "back to back" criteria.

For example. Programs A, B, C, D are all favorites. A has 10 minutes start & stop padding. B,C,D have 2 minutes start & stop.

A is a 2 hour program, B,C,D are all 1/2 hour.

Both A & B start at midnight ... A on capture device #2 and B on capture device #1. C & D follow B in a back to back sequence using capture device #1. Last saturday, in the scenerio just described, my system recorded A,B,C and D - but none of the programs had either start or stop padding applied. The product file for A was 1 hour 59 minutes 23 seconds long. B,C,D were each 29 minutes & change.

Shouldn't A have had the extra 20 minutes, B & D an extra 2 minutes each (on the front end of B and on the back end of D)?

Nick

---- update/followup -------

Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention lately ... NONE of my favorites padding is being applied! Favorite shows recorded in isolation (no other shows within an hour span before/after) are only getting the EPG block span, no additional time.

I've double checked the favorites options for each show & the padding request for both start and end times is in place. Where do I need to go next to find out why the padding requests are being ignored?

Last edited by NikDFish; 06-27-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikDFish
I'm running the current version (2.2.8) on an XP pro box with two Hauppauge PVR 150's attached to analog cable. I've got
remove_padding_on_back_to_back_favorites=true
set in properties.

Padding is not being applied in situations that don't seem to meet the "back to back" criteria.

For example. Programs A, B, C, D are all favorites. A has 10 minutes start & stop padding. B,C,D have 2 minutes start & stop.

A is a 2 hour program, B,C,D are all 1/2 hour.

Both A & B start at midnight ... A on capture device #2 and B on capture device #1. C & D follow B in a back to back sequence using capture device #1. Last saturday, in the scenerio just described, my system recorded A,B,C and D - but none of the programs had either start or stop padding applied. The product file for A was 1 hour 59 minutes 23 seconds long. B,C,D were each 29 minutes & change.

Shouldn't A have had the extra 20 minutes, B & D an extra 2 minutes each (on the front end of B and on the back end of D)?

Nick
I see your edit, but let's start here, I mapped it out (a little confusing to try and visualize, maybe my brain is still on vacation ).

Anyway, I'd agree that based on the above info A should have the padding applied, since there's nothing before or after it.

Now B and D are trickier, ideally, I'd say yes B should have start and D should have end, however but it could, just as easilly drop the padding all together. Anyway, congrats to the new guy I was (wrongly ) expecting a thread with confusion over this

Quote:
---- update/followup -------

Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention lately ... NONE of my favorites padding is being applied! Favorite shows recorded in isolation (no other shows within an hour span before/after) are only getting the EPG block span, no additional time.

I've double checked the favorites options for each show & the padding request for both start and end times is in place. Where do I need to go next to find out why the padding requests are being ignored?
OK, one thing to check before my final recommendation, are you sure the padding is actually missing, when you start the show in Sage, the OSD will only display time for the actual timeslot, ie 12:00-2:00 for show 'A', and it will start playback from the start of the timeslot, ie 12:00 or 10min into the recording, however (if the padding is there) you'll be able to rewind to before 12:00 into the padding and playback will run beyond 2:00. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. Just asking to be throrough

Now assuming the padding is actually missing (which it sounds like you've checked), I would fill out a Support Request. They should be able to give you some things to try and debug it if necessary.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
OK, one thing to check before my final recommendation, are you sure the padding is actually missing, when you start the show in Sage, the OSD will only display time for the actual timeslot, ie 12:00-2:00 for show 'A', and it will start playback from the start of the timeslot, ie 12:00 or 10min into the recording, however (if the padding is there) you'll be able to rewind to before 12:00 into the padding and playback will run beyond 2:00. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. Just asking to be throrough

Now assuming the padding is actually missing (which it sounds like you've checked), I would fill out a Support Request. They should be able to give you some things to try and debug it if necessary.
Thanks for your response. I viewed the generated files in a third party application (VideoRedo) which provides an overall time figure. Additionally, in browsing the video from first frame to last, there was no additional programming content (beyond the expected program material).

I'll initiate a Support Request & see what comes up. Thanks again!

Nick
Old 07-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Sage User

OK ... now I understand ...

It finally dawned on me that I was suffering a bad case of RTFM. The system was just doing exactly what it was supposed to do.

I had been operating on a misunderstanding. I (incorrectly) thought that favorites was a way to get an auto "shortlist" from which to choose items (manually). I was using the upcoming recordings list as if it was a short pick list rather than what it's label clearly indicated - upcoming recordings (dumb huh?). When I'd manually select record ... it became a manual recording (for that instance) with manual recording settings over-riding favorites settings.

Once I stopped making the borders red, favorite paddings were applied OK.

mea culpa, mia culpa, mea maxima culpa.

let the groans & haha's commence.

Nick.