SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Catalyst 5.6 enables pixel adaptive deinterlacing with ATI cards

I've not seen this mentioned on here, I came across it on avsforum.

ATI's Catalyst 5.6 drivers (through the Catalyst Control Centre) enable selection of deinterlacing algorithms including motion adaptive.

With the drivers installed the DXVA pixel adaptive interlacing options are available in the nvDVD decoders. In fact there are two "pixel adaptive" entries, I'm not sure what the difference is, they both look the same to me.

I'm trying at the moment using an old (and by modern standards very slow) Sapphire 9600. It seems fine giving stutter free playback using VMR9, pixel adaptive deinterlacing. My desktop is at 720*576@50Hz (I'm in PAL land).

Picture quality is better than I was getting using an nVidia 6600GT. I could never get this to give stutter free playback except to the overlay so I was using Bob deinterlacing. In fact the ATI picture quality now seems to me to be the same as the 6600GTs pixel adaptive deinterlacing but without the dealbreaking stutter.

I'm testing at the moment, hopefully there won't be any snafus that develop over time.

Cheers
Eric
Old 07-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

9600 swapped for 9700Pro

No stability issues so far but I've swapped the 9600 for a 9700 Pro. After running the machine overnight to let it get to operating temperature, tickers seemed less smooth than last night.

I'm not sure if its heat (the 9600 is a passively cooled Sapphire and the heatsink was too hot to touch. It's always had marginal cooling) or GPU power.

Anyhow to be on the safe side I've swapped it to an old 9700Pro (Zalman heatpipe passive heatsink) to see how that goes.

I really need to cut some holes in the top of the case.

Cheers
Eric