SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Sage Expert

External Media Player / Launcher

I've been fiddling with making a nice lightweight media player that will use girder or a keyboard interface and was wondering if anyone is interested in this kind of thing? I have seen xlobby and frankly it's a bit "much" in comparison. DAMN nice looking program and does everything under the sun. But I wanted something more lightweight that does it's job and that's it. Namely video and audio playing. And I'm looking at maybe a front-end for mame, but that's definitely secondary.

Anyway, I'm making this for my own use, but will probably post a link when it's done and distribute it as "donationware"... IE: it's free, but donate if you want... a buck... two... ten... or a million if you have it just laying about.

Here's an early screenshot... (keep in mind that it does only what it's designed to do, and that's it. No real flash or glitz about it. The executable as it stands is only 170k... and has no external requirements. No .NET framework, no dlls, nothing... Only the codecs for the files you plan to play need be installed. And it'll play anything I've thrown at it thus far excepting quicktime files.)

A couple of features that make it a little more intriguing is that it uses a database to store file info on the media, and will allow for unlimited bookmarks in a video file. I'll probably import the comskip files as an option to create autoskips as well. Other features are an adjustable overscan (like sage's) for both the gui and the video playback, subtitle playback using standard SBT files, and adjustable aspect ratio of the video.

Oh well... I don't expect a lot of people to be interested in this, but if anyone is, I'll be "finished" (if that's possible) in about a week or so.

Kanati

Last edited by Kanati; 07-06-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Sage Expert

Well then... I guess I'll keep it all to myself.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

i'd be interested in using it. will it be able to play nero digital files .mp4?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Sage Expert

I haven't tried to play those yet... but I'm using the directshow api so I would imagine that if windows media player can play it (meaning you have the codec installed), then it should work just fine.