SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Sage Expert

Time 'offset'?

I know I remember seeing something but can't locate it now. I need to offset the time shows start to exactly 10seconds later than scheduled due to the fact that my cable company is actually re-broadcasting there satellite feed. It's not actually the same feed as I once thought. DTV is 10 seconds behind the time that the same show is broadcast by my cable company.

Padding won't work due to conflict issues and I know I remember seeing something about 'offset'. Can anyone tell me where?
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM

Padding gets ignored in case of conflicts. I would suggest using that on your favorites.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Sage Expert

where is the 'offset' option though? I remember seeing that somewhere.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 PM

Never heard of an offset. Don't think Sage will let you do a default pad unless you use Neilms addon.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:05 AM
SageTVaholic

The only mention of offset in the standard STVs is for video aspect ratio modification.

Note: Padding gets ignored for back-to-back favorites *on the same channel*, so faves on different channels will still have conflicts.

Last edited by nielm; 07-22-2005 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

There are videoframe "playback_delay" settings in the properties file, but that wouldn't help because that just sets the delay between when something is recorded to the time it is displayed on your tv/monitor...

you could always buy a time server program and sync your computer's time to a server that is about 10 seconds off... this is what I did, I sync to the utcnist.colorado.edu timeserver which for some reason is 10 seconds off of my local time and perfect for syncing my computer's time with comcast's time
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Sage User

Blowing the dust off this thread..

I too am interested in having properly synced time but that it be intentionally offset a few seconds forward, a duration of my choosing -- i.e. "proper NIST atomic time PLUS four seconds"

I have Time Warner Digital Cable, and for reason all their programming seems to be offset in relation to my system clock, by EXACTLY four seconds. On every channel. That can't be coincidence .. can it?

Called them on it, had them do a time check on their computers there, and sure enough their system is four seconds ahead, they did a trouble ticket several months ago but it hasn't changed anything. Eventually I just "lived with it."

Like previous posters, padding helps but is not really a fix, it's a band-aid only.. It gets kind of annoying for shows that are back-to-back and they all go up to the bitter end (MythBusters, Dirty Jobs, local news, etc).

Using Sage Client 6.45 on Core2Duo, Java is current 1.60_r6 [I think], and using current NVidia drivers. Only issue I have is the time being off by these pesky four seconds.

Whadaya think?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

this is something that bugs me to - some chanels here are 30 seconds out other are between 2 and 3 minutes and padding just doesn't work.

This is definately a feature I would like introduced.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Sage User

Is this a feasible option, or does anyone know of a paid (or free?) option? I wouldn't even know how to code it, but as much as I can automate things it would be nice ...

Currently my clock doesn't drift hardly at all, but "getting it right" is the science project.

Is this something we can submit to the Sage team to add an offset subset to the "sync with server" option of the clients?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmystique View Post
this is something that bugs me to - some chanels here are 30 seconds out other are between 2 and 3 minutes and padding just doesn't work.

This is definately a feature I would like introduced.
Why doesn't padding work? This is exactly the reason for having the padding option. We pad everything we record.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Sage User

I hate to dredge up an old topic but .. has this been addressed in version 7 somewhere?

Yes, padding works, but we'd like a little more tweakability, like on the order of seconds not just minutes. Sometimes the last 15 seconds of the show are where the "cliffhanger" and it's cut off because of time drifts between networks ughhh ..

Is there a secret [or public?] setting in v7 beta somewhere, for show-specific padding of fractional minutes (i.e. 1 min 10 seconds, 4 seconds late start, etc)?

Cheers