SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:45 AM
Sage User

Am i the only one that want's to see animations in the ui?

I would like to see a smoothly animated ui. Thats the only thing that gives me mce envy? Anyone else?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'd quite like animated menu transitions (e.g. from main -> TV Guide, etc) .
I also have MCE 2005, although I don't use it (I could never get the TV quality any good - wheras with Sage it's superb).

I did like the menu transitions, and they had a good WAF.
If sage or any STV author ever does anything like that, it would be cool, but I'd also want the option to switch them off - they did get on my nerves after a while !!

Cheers

Mark
Old 07-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Sage Icon

The option would be nice and be a nice addition to the UI
Old 07-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Sage Icon

Only as an option you can turn off! Turning off animations in the UI is just about the first thing I do when I install any OS!!
I can't get those nanoseconds that it takes to animate things back!

No offense intended, everyone has their own preferences.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Sage Expert

I'm well up for some animations. The MCE 2005 UI is the most slick UI I have seen yet, and part of it is due to the animation. I personally think that the (very simple) animation in 2005 adds to the quality 'feel'.

I agree that it should be turn off-and-on-able, so as to please everybody.

Do we actually know if this is possible in Sage? How hard would it be to imlement?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:46 AM

It is possible to do, I almost did it for SageMC. However, since I have them turned off in MCE myself I never took the time to do it.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

STV Tease

Cheers

Mark
Old 07-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

i'd be a non animation user. eye candy is not for me - just a nice clean interface which is exactly what mlbdude provided.

speaking of which, mlb, do you anticipate adding any of the new 3.0 options to the setup list in sageMC? actually the one which is current that i find more important is the "refresh imported files" button.

before i worry with 3.0 i need to figure how not to have the channel changes freeze first and when i get that licked then i'll worry with getting FSE to work.

beyond that (and with CD playback added) i'll be one pretty freaking happy camper.

oh i'm a liar - i want a real, productive, multi format, with dvd built in, extender too!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:10 PM

You can refresh your import files individually in each library with the Options command. A new STV with some features from the Detailed setup area will be coming soon. Once the 3.x beta stabalizes a bit.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

thanks, mlb, i always thought i was a moron but at least you helped confirm it!

still trying to figure out the FSE vmr9 right now. the yes setting will stick for me but when it does work it's still quite choppy and doesn't look very good and then other times it will just error out.

i think this is more related to my screwing around with quartz.dll files and old files/multiple driver installs than it is a sage problem though.

i have a fresh drive with win xp pro pre loaded though so i might drop it in the htpc this weekend and play around.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'd be a big supporter of UI animations. I guess it boils down to how you use your system. Those that also use it as a computer probably would disable it, but for me I prefer making my system as much like an appliance as possible and animations go a long way toward hiding the fact that it is a PC at heart.

-PGPfan
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wouldn't mind seeing some animations in the UI, with the caveot that they only do something when a task is selected. I do not care for animation for the sake of animation, like the MS Office help charactors.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:43 AM

I may add some to SageMC. In MCE they are crappy though cause they actually slow down your actions. They are nice to see though .
Old 07-26-2005, 05:56 AM
Sage Expert

Good news!

Old 07-26-2005, 06:07 AM
Sage Expert

I'd agree that it'd totally be nice to have the bells and whistles of the MCE UI. But its not that high on the 'things I'd like Sage to do' list
Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
I may add some to SageMC. In MCE they are crappy though cause they actually slow down your actions. They are nice to see though .
Wow! I can't wait to see it, because the biggest disappointment of V3 for me is that it still uses the boring UI...

(read: the SageMC UI rules!!!! )
Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkimar
I'd quite like animated menu transitions (e.g. from main -> TV Guide, etc) .
I also have MCE 2005, although I don't use it (I could never get the TV quality any good - wheras with Sage it's superb).

I did like the menu transitions, and they had a good WAF.
If sage or any STV author ever does anything like that, it would be cool, but I'd also want the option to switch them off - they did get on my nerves after a while !!

Cheers

Mark
How does it animate in MCE 2005? Do the buttons just slide off the side of the screen like Tivo?

I remember having it in my code at one time along with the rotating A in Sage a while back, but I took it out as the PVR350 slowed to a crawl for me. But turning it off would be a great idea.

Lauren
Old 07-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Lauren,

If I remember right, the animation of the MCE menu (starting at the 'Home' page) had selections for TV, DVD, Music, Photo's, etc. When you selected say "Music", the screen would instantly leave the home screen and then (beginning small and in the center of the screen) zoom toward you to fill the entire screen. This all took place (the zooming at least) in about .25 of a second. I believe that an animation during screen transitions would be nice IF done correctly.

To me, correctly means instantly leave the current screen (since, if you are leaving it you no longer care to see it) and animate the introduction of a new screen. Sounds silly, but what it does is actually add a little subconcious 'excitement' to the NEW screen.

-PGPfan
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Sage User

If any of those with studio out there are reading - i would be more than happy to supply some animated icons and whatnot, just let me know if you want to work on something. not too busy this summer...

-kayoti
Old 07-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Sage Icon

Having a little animation in the menu customization import would be very nice. It doesn't have to be anything complicated, just a little movement would look cool.