SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Recording Conflict Won't Clear

OK, I didn't see anything about this before, something close, but it seemed like the problem in the previous posts were that they had deleted a favorite that was still conflicting.

Anyway, my problem is that I am not able to resolve the recording conflict that shows up on the recording conflict menu. I have 2 tuners, and the conflict is a 3 way conflict. I chose the option to record one of the other shows instead of the show that is saying it will not record, but the icon that says it is a conflict is still up. Shouldn't the conflict still show, but clear the icon until another conflict comes up? It doesn't want to though. I even tried saying to record the show I didn't want to get another conflict, and then going backwards to not record the other show again, which didn't help any either. I wonder if the resolution isn't having problems because I have 2 tuners, and there is no way to tell sage to always record the other 2 shows instead of this show. Almost seems like I get in an infinite loop because I say it is OK to record one of the other 2 shows instead of this one and then try to do the other one, and in both cases, it keeps updating and finding the conflict with the other show.

This brings up another thought I had about the conflict menu. Let me run this by some people and see if anyone thinks that it might be a more straight forward way to handle conflicts:

I feel that there needs to be options to get some more information on the shows you are looking at to help you make your choice, and I don't know if they could be added with the way the conflict menu works now, so I would propose instead of the current pop up style window, make the conflict another depth menu, where in the conflict you would have a list of recording conflicts at a certain time, with the names of the shows listed if there is enough room. Clicking on the conflict item would then take you into a menu that would show the shows just like your recording menu, with the show title, and the individual show name, airing time, and channel etc, just like a list of shows, and if you move focus over it, it should give you the description as well, just like in the list of shows. Then if you were to click right, it should give you the list that you get like in recording detail, when you click to the right, with all the options of Add'l Airings, Favorite Options, Set Watched, Set Don’t Like etc…Just like with the list of shows. Some of these options such as watched could help you resolve it right here. Now, to resolve the conflict, you should be able to click select on top of the show in the menu that you want to remove from the list to resolve the conflict, which should give you the typical options of always have one of the other 2 shows override this one, or just have one of them override this particular airing, or maybe an option to record an additional airing for this show, not sure if this option would work though, because I know Sage typically looks for that, but from what I understand only looks a few days in advance, so if there is an additional airing in a week then it would be nice to get that one possibly, although, I suppose you could also do this with the option of just not recording that airing of the show, and sage would try to find the other one in the future anyway. Also, in the recording conflict, it would probably also be good to have the resolution listed at the top, so recording priority would have it set to begin with, but then it would list at the top what the resolution was, then clear the conflict icon, even though it would list the conflict until the shows recorded.

Doing it this way, would keep the menu layout of the shows very much like it already is in other portions of sage, and provide a much more powerful conflict resolving interface, with access to much more information to help us make our decision.

Also, something else I have found frustration with is when sage takes it upon itself to change what airing of a show it will record so it can record all of the shows in the list without telling you about it. The situation I had was when the new Celebrity Poker Showdowns came on, it didn’t record the early airing so that it could record a couple of other shows instead, and get Celebrity Poker on a repeat later that night. Well, I wanted to watch that show as soon as I could after it started, but it wasn’t there. I was just wondering if there would be a way to add another recording conflict category to be able to tweak so you could have some control over this. This way you could work out conflicts the way you wanted, telling sage which show you would rather have it look for the additional airing of, and if you would rather have an earlier show instead of having another show not at all, you could set it up for that.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Is the center of the conflict indicator red or green? Existing conflicts always show the conflict icon now, but unresolved ones have a red marker, while resolved conflicts have a green marker.

Oh -- and the scheduler already looks through the full EPG data when it tries to reschedule for a conflict, it doesn't just look at the next few days in that situation.

Also: in the Advanced Options menu for favs, you can limit a fav to a specific day and/or 1-hour timeslot. That should help forcing a fav to be recorded during its prime-time airing.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Also: in the Advanced Options menu for favs, you can liit a fav to a specific day and/or 1-hour timeslot. That should help forcing a fav to be recorded during its prime-time airing.

- Andy
Where does one find this Advanced Options? It doesn't appear in the Fav Manager.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

It is on the Favorite Details screen in the v3 STV -- select a fav from the Favorites Manager.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Aww, you didn't like my ideas. Thanks for the suggestion though, that would be good for me to set up I suppose. That will help.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Sage Expert

I think the entire conflict resolution page needs a good cleaning an re-do.

I like the green check mark idea, does that graphic work as a replacement for the current one? (can I just swap them?)

Also, this is gonna sound real stupid, but I have always had problems understanding WHAT SageTv was asking of me as the verbage was sometimes confusing to me.

EXAMAMPLE: I record "HOUSE", "BIG BROTHER 6" and "ROCKSTAR INXS" I have "HOUSE" to record ONLY on channel 8 (it's other channel as listed on the guide is always wrong and changes to info mercials at primetime!) The same thing with the other shows. The headache is when I try to resolve a conflict because it list the channels I have for recording the shows, but puts them up against the channels I DONT want to record them on. SO I get this huge list like:

"record house on channel 8 has a conflict with house on channel 16.."
"record house on chanel 8 instead of "BIB BROTHER" on channel..."

I get all the possible varients, plus the options to choose "this time only" "always override" and "never".

I get confused and the wife hates it. Sometimes it doesn't work (haved tried in in V3.0 yet) I would select something and nothing would happen. My only option would be to cancel and let sage do it's thing.

I think a UI change in this area could make a huge improvement. I think a Ui kinda like a small GUIDE would work well. It would allow you to see the conflicting shows stacked, select one to keep, then ask if this is "just this once" or "always override" It should not include the same shows on different channels if the user has "locked out: that time slot or channel in the favorites setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAGE CONFLICT RESOLUTION.JPG (53.7 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by broderp; 08-10-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Sage Expert

Unfortunately, it's one of many ideas that I have that I can not act upon as STUDIO has never been released to the public, and those with the "power" usuually work on new features rather than fixing odd or ones that could use a good tweak.

I like the ability to select the capture device, see the shows in conflict, select it and have a SIMPLE window pop up letting me do what I want. Aside from SAGETV being able to organize and setup and resolve conflicts, I'd like the ability to do it manually as well. (Hence the "do not record" button.)

I hope sage can see and understand what I mean and maybe someone can do it in STUDIO.

RB

Last edited by broderp; 08-11-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

I made this a while back, and just ran into this thread... I've been using this icon for a while now, and it makes it so much easier to tell if you have conflicts at a glance.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13835
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version