SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
still!?

Could you give me some more info on this? IE: On all your clients/just on server/just on MVPs, etc. Could you email me your sagetv_0.txt (or sageclient_0.txt) to me? (You still have my email, right? otherwise it's on my site.)

Is anyone else seeing this? I can't reproduce it on my systems.
i will take a look to the sagetv_0.txt. i have this time only mvp clients..and yes on all mvp-clients the same, but only on meekell stv. i think in the orginal stv i have problems with...how long i have watch a show, when i stop the show and play it again, the show starts form begin and not from the time as i stopped the show. and the play will not work all times...sometimes i have a black screen without sound..

it is a beta
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Has anyone tried out DVD Burning yet?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Sage User

Found bug in search for program

I playing around again in the STV and wanted to see how the search for programs worked. I ran a search for "Red Sox" by description which did find all of the games, pregame and postgame shows in the next couple of weeks. The problem was that they were in no particular order and showed up as repeats even though they are not. The Red Sox station "NESN" does rebroadcast all games at midnight, and sometimes during the day, so some should be repeats. I did the search at around 3:30 on Tuesday, 8/2/05. Here is list as it was in order on the search screen:
R= listed as a repeat correctly
NR = listed as a repeat incorrectly

All show titles are MBL with a description of the teams playing

8/4 1pm NR
8/4 7pm R
8/5 12am R
8/8 7pm NR
8/9 12am R
8/9 12 pm R
8/7 2pm NR
8/8 12am R
8/2 7pm NR
8/3 12am R
8/3 12pm R
8/5 8pm NR

As you can see, the list is in no order what so ever, making finding the next game kind of a pain. Any thoughts? Thank you.

*Go Red Sox*
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Sage Icon

I've noticed that...I'll look into how those results are shown and see if I can make it more sensical. I know it will show the shows currently on first - then the others are all jumbled up. I'm not sure about the repeat stuff - do other STVs have this issue?

Definitly a bug though - logged!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Way to go!!! I'm glad to see this project live on. The most amazing part is that you've found time to get married!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Crashless! Thanks for reviving this one. It became my favorite, but stopped using it cause I was crashing. Hopefully, combo of v3 and your work, it will fix and improve it.

Interesting thing about this STV is that when I first tried it, I hated it. Thought it was ugly and not user friendly at all. Tried it months later and instantly loved it and thought the interface was the most easy to navigate and very clean.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Sage Expert

a couple more points:

1) I was actually referring to the mini-guide when talking about Channel Logos. There doesn't seem to be an option to see a channel icon, yet there does seem to be an "info" icon. it looks good but its just weird that when you are scrollign through the mini-guide, you see the same icon for every show/channel

2)I know that the recordings screen is designed to be somewhat minimalist but is there any way of distinguishing between first runs and re-runs. I guess all of that other stuff I could just click on teh show to get more information about it but at a glance, I would like to be able to distinguish between first run/re-run

3) don't know if you want to do this either, but I would really like a sort of the recordings that is similar to the one i have now. It groups it be show name and sorts the shows by newest recorded. Intelligent is the closest but its not exactly the same. Might be too much work for not enough payout but just a suggestion.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
a couple more points:

1) I was actually referring to the mini-guide when talking about Channel Logos. There doesn't seem to be an option to see a channel icon, yet there does seem to be an "info" icon. it looks good but its just weird that when you are scrollign through the mini-guide, you see the same icon for every show/channel
I see now. If I made this follow the same rule as the live guide, would that work for you? Or should it be a separate option?

Quote:
2)I know that the recordings screen is designed to be somewhat minimalist but is there any way of distinguishing between first runs and re-runs. I guess all of that other stuff I could just click on teh show to get more information about it but at a glance, I would like to be able to distinguish between first run/re-run
Iain said he might look into making some awesome icons for us. I agree that it should be there - there's room, why not make it an option?

Quote:
3) don't know if you want to do this either, but I would really like a sort of the recordings that is similar to the one i have now. It groups it be show name and sorts the shows by newest recorded. Intelligent is the closest but its not exactly the same. Might be too much work for not enough payout but just a suggestion.
Which STV are you referring to? I'll take a look.

Puffyelms: Let me know what kind of problems you were having, and I'll take a look. I know I was having issues with my pvr350's output, but haven't used it in a while, so I don't know if it has been fixed. Please keep me updated if you experience instability with this STV that others don't exhibit.

Meekell: Without your hard work to carry on, I wouldn't have had anything to build onto. Thanks so much for letting me continue developing this great STV.

NEXT!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Crashless:
There may be a formatting issue with the XML code from the other STVs, so we'll see as we go.
There is definately a formatting issue
At the time that I wrote that part, only Cayars was outputting XML, I think. So, if there is demand, I should probably rewrite that stuff, but only if all of the STVs are outputting some sort of standard of XML...if they're all different, then it's gonna be tuff to get all the same info.

As Crashless said, we want to make this avilable to everyone no matter what STV they use. With that said, I'm going to start another thread related to the DVD Burning for bugs and comments so that I can keep out of Crashless' hair and possibly bring another crowd in.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Sage Icon

This is a Media MVP client issue... I don't think it can be worked around (at least no one has figured out how to yet).

Matt knows about it, and said he was going to discuss it w/Jeff, et al.

So I think us MVP users are just hosed until a fix comes along, or Frey gets THEIR MVP support in the beta....

Jason

Quote:
still!?

Could you give me some more info on this? IE: On all your clients/just on server/just on MVPs, etc. Could you email me your sagetv_0.txt (or sageclient_0.txt) to me? (You still have my email, right? otherwise it's on my site.)

Is anyone else seeing this? I can't reproduce it on my systems.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Sage Icon

I have this problem with my MVP now that I think about it too. Using the latest SageTV STV and 3.0.5 Beta seemed to have fixed part of it though, for me.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Sage User

I kinda like how the list rolls around but I agree that there probablly isn't a way to illustrate this. Get them to play pacman for a while and they will get used to going out one side of the screen and reappearing on the other

Sure, I'll make some little status icons for the guide. Not too fond of disrupting the minimalism but seems like there will be demand for this regardless :P Any idea where you would like to place them so I can get an idea of size/shape etc.

Hi Meekell, I have so much respect for you getting this going in the first place.

I wish I had some feature requests while we are on a roll, but I have been using this every day for 4 month and I really can't think of any. It is really great.

The only downside is that I have a really stupidly massive music collection and it takes forever to get any given artist/song. I was really hoping that the jukebox would be improved in sage3 and was quite disapointed that it wasn't. If there is anyway that you can code it so it speeds up as you scroll through the artists/songs like on an iPod.

Oh yeah, Meekell. I have been meaning to ask what the recipe for the special sauce is that randomly? chooses the next song to play when your playlist runs out. It is so cool. It always chooses something similar and almost always something good, but I have been caught out with some bad disco music once!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

music genre question

How exactly does the music by genre feature work. I went through all of my music in iTunes a year or so back and added genre's to all of my songs, but this STV appears to be pretty wonky about recognizing them. I was wondering what software you are using to label your MP3's that the STV is recognizing?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain
...snip...
Sure, I'll make some little status icons for the guide. Not too fond of disrupting the minimalism but seems like there will be demand for this regardless :P Any idea where you would like to place them so I can get an idea of size/shape etc. ...snip...
Here's a bad 2 second mock-up. Of course these will be a toggle - so minimalists out there will be able to turn them off. Thanks for taking a look.

As far as speeding up scrolling - I'm not sure, I'll look. Is this STV slower than others? Maybe try enabling 3d accelleration if you can & FSE. This STV should work with FSE, I just don't have a settings toggle yet.

evilpenguin: did you try removing your mp3 folder from the imports then re-adding it? You might need to force SageTV to read the tags again.

Other then that, I forget the name of the 'favorite' mp3 tagger out there. I seem to remember 'mp3 tag studio' or something. I use J.River Media Center myself, and things seem to work nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recordings1-w-bad-icons2.jpg (38.5 KB, 531 views)

Last edited by Crashless; 08-02-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Sage User

ok thanks.
is that mockup cool with you snoopy?

btw i used Mp3 Tag Tools too.

Quote:
As far as speeding up scrolling - I'm not sure, I'll look. Is this STV slower than others? Maybe try enabling 3d accelleration if you can & FSE. This STV should work with FSE, I just don't have a settings toggle yet.
the scrolling isn't slow per se. and this stv is just as fast as the sage default. the scroll speed is aceptable to get through a dozen artists, but when you have to scroll through 1,200 artist starting with A because you need to get to one starting with B is very fustrating. Now that I think about it, I could put a repeat event on girder to somehow speed up scrolling when "down" has been depressed for longer than 3 seconds. Or I could just search everytime. But I still think it could be more useable somehow. Like a total rip off of the iPod interface which is the ultimate in usability.
well, i'll leave my rant about sage's jukebox there. i guess it's a low priority.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Sage Expert

If you mean the little icons Iain, then yes. I don't think the icons should take both a verticle and horizontal form. Personally I like the horizontal but I would just stick with one or the other.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain
the scroll speed is aceptable to get through a dozen artists, but when you have to scroll through 1,200 artist starting with A because you need to get to one starting with B is very fustrating.
TiVo had an interesting approach to scroll speed as theirs was even slower. One could use the channel down botton as it doubled as a "page down" button. This way you could go down a full page at a time and this made getting through a very large list relatively painless.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
evilpenguin: did you try removing your mp3 folder from the imports then re-adding it? You might need to force SageTV to read the tags again.

Other then that, I forget the name of the 'favorite' mp3 tagger out there. I seem to remember 'mp3 tag studio' or something. I use J.River Media Center myself, and things seem to work nicely.
Yeah, this is a fresh install of Sage v3.0.5 and I added the MP3's for the first time. I'll play around with things and see if I can't get it straightned out.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Sage User

AWESOME WORK CRASHLESS! I am very happy that this STV will now work with 3.x

ok some issues:

1.) For anyone having problems with slow menu items or picture quality using NVIDIA video cards. Do not use the 77.72 WHQL candidat drivers, they are terrible! I am using 77.76 from www.guru3d.com and the meekal STV now works very good.

2.) exiting from "full screen" and going back, will really mess up sagetv. everything
flickers and menu's go slow audio out of whack. This did not happen with regular beta sagetv 3.0.5

3.) going to Settings to change the video directory locks up the application when I hit "browse"

4.) when using the guide to look at shows, the description bleeds off the edge and I can not read it. I think I might have changed the fonts to be size 20 in the beta

5.) I am running a test of the DVD burner, I see = 1 Title(s) found and starting... but no further progress. Is this normal? How long does it take to burn an hour long program?

6.) feature request, can we get ratings and info for movies on the pay-channels
ie. House of 1000 corpses = Rated R for strong violence, sexuality etc. etc.

Is there anything you want people to really test? I am definitly willing to be a guinea pig for this STV.

Good work meekell and crashless

Jim

** Update to point 2 **

putting sage in sleep mode using the green button on the remote, and waking it up again will fix issue 2. When it wakes up though, it seems to take a minute to start working again.

Last edited by kendryk; 08-02-2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

I've noticed that Status area doesn't seem to be 100% yet, but it was the best attempt to try and provide some feedback. There are some especially long parts of demuxing and muxing video. Generally, an hour shouldn't take too long depending on how fast your computer is and whether the show has been passed through comskip yet (haven't made comskip optional yet).

For now, the best way to get status, is to look in your work directory and see if files are being created or if they're growing.