SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Sage Icon

Arrow STV: Meekell v0.6.1 (Nov 28, 2OO6)

This STV is a continuation of the admirable work done by Meekell. It is loosely based off the ideas expressed by the design firm "Teehan-Lax", and extends many of their ideas to include the functionality we have come to expect from SageTV.

This STV is designed primarily to be navigated using a remote control, or keyboard, but mouse-friendliness is being developed as user feedback comes in. Detailed instructions, as well as other info and add-ins can be found at my SageTV page. This new version is known to work with SageTV v6.0.13 and up, users who are not using this version or newer can download the older version of the STV (Version 0.5 for SageTV 4.0 and higher) by clicking here.

All users should download this file and unzip it to your "%SageTV%/" directory.

If you want to use EvilPenguin's DVD Burning you will need to install it according to it's instructions found here. Then turn it on in the Settings Menu, under External Setup.

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who has contributed to this project. I've created a credits page here.

Version 0.6.1 Release Notes:

UI Changes:
v6 Conflict Resolution (Disable "Conflict Pop-ups" to use)

Bug Fixes:

Delete Confirmation Popup works again
Conflict Menu issues resolved
Channel Change Request Resolved
A bunch of other stuff I forgot to write down

Version 0.6.0 Release Notes:

Features:
V6 Video Compression!
EvilPenguin's DVD Burning!
External Drive Support (like standard STV).
"Browse Media Files" option (like standard STV, go to a import menu, hit 'options' button).

UI Changes:
Added Settings Item to toggle 'Delete' in Video Library
Added "Auto-skip commercials" toggle to "Enhancements" menu
Un-Archive now available in recordings menu
Incorperated Default STV End Of File Options

Bug Fixes:
Weird delete button size issue in Stanger's Imports menu
Channel Change deny prompt displays correctly
Commercial Re-detect popup now readable
Scroll Bar in main menu now works again.
Tons of other fixes - I lost track, sorry.
Various Theme Cleaning -* I'm SURE I broke some things doing this. Please let me know what looks weird. *

Version 0.5.0 Release Notes:

Features:
mlbdude's External Program List ("Advanced->Configure Menu")
Malore's Custom Guide Menus! (add via Menu Customization)
-All Malore's menus can be renamed via 'options' command while in the menu
Nielm's RSS NewsReader, w/ internal viewer! (add via Menu Customization)
Enhanced Disk Space Widget (like v3 hidden feature) ("Advanced->STV Enhancements")

UI Changes:
1st Run Marking in Guide ("Advanced->STV Enhancements")
Added "Programs" and "Shortcuts" main menus.
Shortcuts menu populates with Malore's Menus automatically
See install instructions to get programs to show up

Bug Fixes:
Menu Configuration now reports correct menu being modified
Fixed all Watch Conflict popups (I think)
Added FSE Toggle to Settings Menu
Included Stanger's fix for Data Import. (fixes production year, and directors)

Version 0.4.6 Release Notes:

Features:
Configurable Main Menu Items ("Advanced->Configure Menu")

UI Changes:
Main Menu Animates (turn off in "Advanced->STV Enhancements", won't be activated if "MVP Enhance" is Enabled)

Bug Fixes:
5-Item Menu bug squashed
Channel Icons and Status Icons in media player display correctly
Intelligent Indicator appears properly in Recordings Menu

Version 0.4.5 Release Notes:

Features:
Added Nielm's Info Popup

UI Changes:
Added setup for Data Import (Adcanced->External->Choose Collection.xml file)
Removed "Smart Folders" legend button to remove confusion. (it never did anything…)
Added icons to recording menu, option in "settings->advanced->enhancements->icons" - requested by multiple users (Thanks for the icons Iain!)
Manual/Favorite/Don't Like indication in media player
Channel icons in media player
All menus should show current menu title in title bar
System asks if you want to import metadata for newly imported files automatically (uses DVD Profiler data import)

Bug Fixes:
Programs to Record - keyboard now has highlights for focus
Library Import - deleting directory now readable
Now warns before changing channel while watching live tv
Now catches channel change requests before canceling favorites recordings
Setup menu now shows if options exist out of view
Favorite Options now are fully functional and readable
Data Import now asks for .xml file if none set.
A couple of other things I forgot about…

Version 0.4 release notes:

Added: Auto-XML Export - toggle setting in setup menu->Advanced->External->auto-xml export enable/disabled (Just like Cayars v18)
Added: 'Record' to show details for airings in the future.
This actually makes 'additional airings' useful!
Added: New 'advanced' setup menu - Work In Progress
Added: Utilities Menu on Main menu
Added: DVD Burning w/ Menus and Metadata! (Special thanks to Kjake!)
Added: ALPHA - DVD Burn enable/disable - toggle setting in setup menu->Advanced->External->DVD Burn enable/disable
Added: ALPHA - DVD Burn Setup - in setup menu->Advanced->External->DVD Burn Setup
Please see Kjake's DVD Burning Page for notes on how to set this up.
Added: ALPHA - DVD Profiler Data Import (Special thanks to Stanger89!)
This checks all your imported videos and DVDs, then checks your DVD Profiler Database for metadata, then it will import that data into SageTV's database!
Eventually, this will allow for some VERY COOL media views.
Also: Countless other tweaks and fixes.

Last edited by Crashless; 11-29-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Sage Icon

So I've finally gotten this thing out there! Yay!

Just in time too - I wanted to warn everyone that I'm going to be leaving town for two weeks starting this Thursday, and I'm getting married on Saturday, then immediately going on my honeymoon. So I'll only be around for a couple more days. If there are any big bugs, I'll try to fix them before I leave.

Sorry to drop this then bail, but I promise I'll be ready to continue when I get back. Please let me know what you guys think. Your feedback will directly effect the order in which I do things - so please be vocal. If you don't like something, say so. If you're missing a feature, tell me.

Now enjoy!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Sage User

Dude, you totally rule. Meekell's front end was better than any interface on any PVR program (Sage's default IMO is one of the worst).
I provided the icons for Meekell, let me know if need any more.

Meekell kindly made me a special version of the STV without the double headings on the home screen - eg where "upcoming recordings" and "My Shows" etc has 2 shades of text ghosted on top of each other. Any chance he made that code optional? I always thought it looked kinda weird.

Anyway, congrats on your wedding and many many thanks for picking this up
Old 08-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
If you don't like something, say so. If you're missing a feature, tell me.Now enjoy!
I see that the look is much different and I like the cleaner feel. I love what Malore and Neilm have done with allowing you to get custom guides for showing the future show data any way you want (4stars, 3stars...,rating G, PG, R..., year, movies only, etc etc), as well as the whole menu system. They have both done extensive work toward making it easy for the end users to place those guides, as well as the Main Menu and Sub Menu items just the way we want them. That's a big improvement. While some are import STV modules might import, others are built in to Malore. I wish I had, comskip support (included with malore), status icons better than what comes with 3.0 like what was included with Cayar, and basically the ability to rearange those menus closer and guides closer to 'my' likeing. Have a great trip Crash. You are quite the man around here.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy

Last edited by snoopy; 08-01-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain
Dude, you totally rule. Meekell's front end was better than any interface on any PVR program (Sage's default IMO is one of the worst).
I provided the icons for Meekell, let me know if need any more.
Thanks man. I will absolutely need new icons! Since you've offered - I would love ones for: Sleep, Full Screen Mode, and DVD Burn.

Quote:
Meekell kindly made me a special version of the STV without the double headings on the home screen - eg where "upcoming recordings" and "My Shows" etc has 2 shades of text ghosted on top of each other. Any chance he made that code optional? I always thought it looked kinda weird.

Anyway, congrats on your wedding and many many thanks for picking this up
Thanks!

Yes, absolutely, I'm going to be implementing a lot of 'options' as I move forward. Ultimately, I want it to be almost completely customizeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
I see that the look is much different and I like the cleaner feel. I love what Malore and Neilm have done with allowing you to get custom guides for showing the future show data any way you want (4stars, 3stars...,rating G, PG, R..., year, movies only, etc etc), as well as the whole menu system....snip...
I'm looking into implementing those guides, as they seem to be very popular. Customizing menus is definitly on the roadmap.

Quote:
I wish I had, comskip support (included with malore), status icons better than what comes with 3.0 like what was included with Cayar, and basically the ability to rearange those menus closer and guides closer to 'my' likeing.
Comskip playback is supported already. You can skip forward and backwards to commercial points using the left/right buttons during playback. Status Icons are a definite possibility, and needed - umm, iain, any ideas?

Quote:
Have a great trip Crash. You are quite the man around here.
Well thank you!

How embarassing. The download link should work now. Stupid case-sensitive....

Last edited by Crashless; 08-01-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Sage User

icons

Here you go

Quote:
I wish I had, comskip support (included with malore), status icons better than what comes with 3.0 like what was included with Cayar, and basically the ability to rearange those menus closer and guides closer to 'my' likeing.
I haven't used cayar's. What are the status icons for?

Iain
Attached Images
File Type: png mm_burndvd.png (13.4 KB, 1849 views)
File Type: png mm_fullscreen.png (15.6 KB, 1822 views)
File Type: png mm_sleep.png (13.3 KB, 1676 views)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain
What are the status icons for?
The attached comes from his most recent screenshots down about mid page here.
Great work my friend.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Sage User

I used to like this STV alot, but didn't really use it that often. I decided to give a look because of the build in DVD burning. While going through it I discovered a small bug. In the Programs to Record / Favorites manager there is no highlight to let you know which letter you are on in the text input screen which makes it impossible to enter text from a remote. Other than that looks good so far; I have not tried the DVD burner yet though.

~Dan
Old 08-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Sage Expert

Superb! hear ye hear ye...

GOSH the interface is superb! Nice clean look. You can tell when you reach the bottom and top of a list even. A feature desprately needed IMHO. Nicely Done Crashless. I'll probably not start using it until Malore's guides are added and I can tell what's first run as in Cayars (screenshot above) and so on but we FINALLY have something that looks clearly better than Frey intended. Such a nice job, WOW!
-- Snoopy

Last edited by snoopy; 08-02-2005 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Sage Expert

Is smart folders going to be a new feature

That item isn't working currently.
-- Snoopy
Old 08-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Sage Expert

Move to Library is a nice feature.

Perhaps it should be easier to do that. Currently, I go to one other screen to add something to the library. With the Meekel STV, I have to go to another scren then click other options, then archive.

Perhaps those 'other options' should be smarter and pop up as needed. Add to library should be in your face all the time, as should show library. Also, it is my opinion that library sounds better than archive but is not as telling, so what I have done in my own custom menus is added an area called Library (show archives). Not sure how to do it with your STV but it at least should be easy to move stuff too and to see. You have an option to show all but sometimes I want to see "just" my archives because I have alot of stuff in it. Who knows...

What's "find commercials"? Shouldn't that be automatic? Currently I just use my commskip button and it passes over the commercial. I don't see that here.

This is still the BOMB! Honestly this is a damn fine looking STV. Just pointing out some things.

Thanks Meekel for such fantastic work.
-- Snoopy

Last edited by snoopy; 08-02-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Sage Expert

amazing job on this. just a couple of questions:

1) is there any way to view the detailed info of a show you are watching if it is just live tv?

2) when i press record for a show i am watching from live tv, there is usually a red outline around the the program info at the top. is there nothing like that in this stv?

3) is there any way to add in channel icons to the live tv epg?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Sage Icon

WOW! Thanks for all the feedback! I'll go one at a time:

Iain: Thanks so much, those are perfect! I'll put them in the next build.

dcannon: I thought I fixed that. Grrr. I'll get it next build, sorry.

Snoopy: Thanks for the kind words.

Re:Smart Folders - This is actually not a function, but rather a icon legend. I agree that it is misleading. If you change your view from 'newest', the shows will be grouped by show, and your favorites will have that 'starred' folder, while IRs and LiveTV will have the normal folder.

Re: Move to library - I'll look into moving it to the first popup. The reasoning for having it in 'more options' is that it keeps that first popup clean, so that you are only presented with your most used options. Obviously in your case the archive command is a very used option, so I'll look into making that an option.

As for the renaming to 'move to library', I'm not sure. I feel that 'Archive' conveys that it won't be deleted more than 'Move to Library', which is the intention. I feel that saying it's in the Library might be confusing as in: "isn't this the library already?".

The 'Show Archived Items' is already in your face all the time... do you mean the Imports section?

I agree there should be a 'Just Archives' view option. Next build.

abasu2003: 1. Umm, I have no idea - but if there isn't there should be. I'll look into this.
2.Again, I have no idea - but there will be soon.
3. There is an option in 'General' in the Settings menu that allow you to choose your option for this. "Guide Channel Style" ->Number/Name, Number, Name, Logo, Logo/Number. Is that what you were looking for?

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys! Keep it coming. I've entered all this into my work queue, and will get on it when I get back. I'll be checking the forums for another day or so, so get those questions in now.

Last edited by Crashless; 08-02-2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

abasu2003
Re#1. If you push up/down it will trigger the mini-guide, which has a small info screen at the top. I'll look into making a true detailed info screen that is triggered by the info button though.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
Snoopy: Thanks for the kind words.
Re:Smart Folders - This is actually not a function, but rather a icon legend. I agree that it is misleading. If you change your view from 'newest', the shows will be grouped by show, and your favorites will have that 'starred' folder, while IRs and LiveTV will have the normal folder.
hmmm I'm still not sure I understand. Perhaps make it a little more self explanatory. Not sure on that one. I have some great GUI ideas. Perhaps I will have put my ideas on paper by the time you come back. Of'course opinions are... well, you know the saying. I'll keep mine as easy to understand as possible. Thanks for all your hard work and for soliciting input. That's very cool
-- Snoopy
Old 08-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
hmmm I'm still not sure I understand. Perhaps make it a little more self explanatory. Not sure on that one.
Basically that 'button' doesn't do anything. It was meant to show what the folder icon meant. It is obviously failing at that job, and I'll probably just lose it to avoid confusion.

I missed that UI suggestion above re: Top-level item end of list indication. This list rolls around, so you can just keep going in the same direction and things come up again. I'm trying to think of a way to show that this happens, but can't visualize a good way to do it. I feel a scroll bar would be counter-intuitive because I like that it rolls around constantly.

Did you see in the 'advanced->STV Enhancements' that you could make this show 5 options at once? It's a little buggy right now, because the 'watch tv' seems to show up twice sometimes. It works better if you disable conflict popups, as it will give you another menu item if you have unresolved conflicts. I'll hunt this one down when I get back.

I'm not sure if this addresses your thoughts, but pointing it out is the first step to improvement.

Quote:
I have some great GUI ideas. Perhaps I will have put my ideas on paper by the time you come back. Of'course opinions are... well, you know the saying. I'll keep mine as easy to understand as possible. Thanks for all your hard work and for soliciting input. That's very cool
It's the only way I can make ground on the 800lb Gorillas SageMC and Cayars. Yours, and everyone else's thoughts would be great.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Great Work Crashless, thanks for a superb addition to the STV's available to the community.

Is there any way to make the DVD burn part an import ?

Cheers

Mark
Old 08-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkimar
Great Work Crashless, thanks for a superb addition to the STV's available to the community.

Is there any way to make the DVD burn part an import ?

Cheers

Mark
Thanks! Yes, as soon as I figure out the issues I'm having within my own STV with tracking the program's progress throughout the entire STV, and cancelling it properly, I will make an import. (It was my deal with KJake - I promised. )

Actually - we haven't documented it yet - but it's possible to use the DVD burning on it's own. It's untested, but if you use any of the other STV's XML files, and put them in the CreateDVD directory. Then run:

Code:
make.bat d: "C:\DVDTemp\"
where 'd:' is your DVD drive, and 'c:\DVDTemp\' is your work directory, it _might_ work. Again, this is untested, so let us know if you have any luck. There may be a formatting issue with the XML code from the other STVs, so we'll see as we go.

Last edited by Crashless; 08-02-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Sage Expert

bug again ;-)

howdy,

i have the same bug they i have under 4 beta or 3. when i will watch my recordings, the little window comes and tell me: "what you want...menu or delete" the show will playing in the background without problems.

i dont know what this is

i'm happy with 2.2.8 and mvp client and meekell stv..i see no benefit for me that i will change to ver. 3. i will wait...and test and look forward
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de

Last edited by DIBU; 08-02-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBU
howdy,

i have the same bug they i have under 4 beta or 3. when i will watch my recordings, the little window comes and tell me: "what you want...menu or delete" the show will playing in the background without problems.

i dont know what this is
still!?

Could you give me some more info on this? IE: On all your clients/just on server/just on MVPs, etc. Could you email me your sagetv_0.txt (or sageclient_0.txt) to me? (You still have my email, right? otherwise it's on my site.)

Is anyone else seeing this? I can't reproduce it on my systems.